The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Evander Kane

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

A bit sad for his kid, there goes a lot of potential tuition money, let alone an inheritance.

Sad for his kid for having two f'd up parents. 

9 minutes ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Canucks LW

Hoglander

Pearson

Motte

Highmore

Bring the East Van homeboy home!

The real Stan Smyl is a classy, hard working dude,  I think he would disagree with signing Kane.

• Vintage 2

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I will become a Capitals fan if we bring in this waste of oxygen to disgrace the franchise.  Kane is simply not welcome here.

the only way I'd be OK with it is if he finally recognizes he's at rock bottom and goes and gets professional help. If he did that I'd be willing to try a PTO if he actually was committed to being a better human. 

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

the only way I'd be OK with it is if he finally recognizes he's at rock bottom and goes and gets professional help. If he did that I'd be willing to try a PTO if he actually was committed to being a better human. 

He can do that on another team.  He's shown a complete unwillingness to even try to act like a real man since he entered the league.  Professional help can't fix someone who's that much of a piece of ****.

I guess we will find out if you can terminate a contract based on breaking COVID protocols.  I am sure the NHLPA will be involved.  Whether you hate Kane or not at the end of the day this decision will have consequences for all contracts and what teams can do to try and get out of a bad contract.  We already saw this with the Mike Richards deal.  

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, JM_ said:

I have a 30 something year old friend that had been making 100,000 a year for the last 10 years but is 60k in debt and has always dated crazy girls that punch holes in his wall, call the cops in the middle of the night and physically/verbally assault him. 

At least he never had a kid. 

Finally his parents intervened, took away all his access to his bank accounts, and now they give him $200 per week allowance. Kinda funny but it's actually straightened him out. 

Nice guy, wouldn't hurt a fly unless the fly &^@#ed with him first but hasn't had a sense of responsibility in 20 years. 

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He can do that on another team.  He's shown a complete unwillingness to even try to act like a real man since he entered the league.  Professional help can't fix someone who's that much of a piece of ****.

probably not, but if he had some sort of actual breakthrough then I don't want to throw people away. Have had a number of substance abusers in the extended family, who were complete trash under the influence but cleaned it up with help. If thats his situation then I'd give him a chance once he showed real commitment to cleaning up his life. 

Edited by JM_
  • Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

The only way i would be ok is if he had to stay at his parents house all the time outside of team activities 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I have a 30 something year old friend that had been making 100,000 a year for the last 10 years but is 60k in debt and has always dated crazy girls that punch holes in his wall, call the cops in the middle of the night and physically/verbally assault him. 

At least he never had a kid. 

Finally his parents intervened, took away all his access to his bank accounts, and now they give him $200 per week allowance. Kinda funny but it's actually straightened him out. 

Nice guy, wouldn't hurt a fly unless the fly &^@#ed with him first but hasn't had a sense of responsibility in 20 years. 

How would a parent be legally able to take away bank accounts and assets from a 30 year old?

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

How would a parent be legally able to take away bank accounts and assets from a 30 year old?

he could agree to have a managed trust handle all his finances as part of his debt settlement. 

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Nothing legal about it, dad and brother are just doing it. 

7 minutes ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

The only way i would be ok is if he had to stay at his parents house all the time outside of team activities 

some of Evander's issues could be from his upbringing, so maybe not a great idea.

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

go to court, hold a competency trial and get a Judge to agree with parental supervision.

Down in the states Brittany Spears ended up with her Dad taking over things, until just recently.

The funny thing is if he didn’t want to get vaccinated he could have just not played games in Canada like Bertuzzi is doing in Detroit. He only would’ve forfeited that portion of his salary from those games in Canada, which would have only been about a quarter of his salary. So in an attempt to still get that portion of money, he had vaccination documents forged and ended up losing all of it.

At least with his original Covid policy infraction in the NHL. I’m not sure about the details of his AHL Covid infraction.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

They'd be stupid not to.

That would probably tank their case in an arbitration honestly.

If it looks like they were going to those lengths to get out of his contract, it would look bad.  They aren’t hiring investigators to follow around other players.

They will need to show they had a policy in place, that they enforced it similarly amongst all their employees, and that the material breach of contract was so significant it merits a $22 million penalty.

Probably the best thing Evander could do is to retire and walk away from the game. He would still be making well over a million per year for the next 6 years as part of his buyout package. and if he actually sought out help for his various issues; he could still live comfortably while transitioning to a non hockey workplace.

Just now, Provost said:

That would probably tank their case in an arbitration honestly.

If it looks like they were going to those lengths to get out of his contract, it would look bad.  They aren’t hiring investigators to follow around other players.

They will need to show they had a policy in place, that they enforced it similarly amongst all their employees, and that the material breach of contract was so significant it merits a $22 million penalty.

Other players haven't committed criminal medical fraud.  From a player safety standpoint, you have to take additional steps to avoid this walking biohazard doesn't infect the rest of the team.