The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Florida Panthers | Jan. 11, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Regarding the game last night, I don't think either goalie even saw the first 3 goals.

No chance on them regardless.

Both goalies were good.

Both teams were good.

We out-chanced them and controlled the play a lot of the time, and almost doubled them up on shots.

They are tied or in first place by some metrics, in the league.

They were a good test, and imo, our improving Canucks passed the test, just didn't get the "W in the Win Column".

Onward and upward.

Live and learn; and, practice.

Somebody posted that this road trip is against the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th place (in the league) teams.

Well, I say, "Go Canucks Go!" and that 4th place team is dodging the bullet train.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

19 minutes ago, JM_ said:

if we keep going for OK players though we're still going to struggle against the best teams for the next few years. 

Watching FLA last night, and how they keep getting the puck up the ice so fast - thats that we need more of imo. More Hamonics aren't going to get us there. 

Perhaps, but if you're using Florida's D as an example you also have to consider how said players were acquired.

Ekblad is your prototypical #1D with size who can dominate at both ends of the ice at times, he was drafted #1 overall. The only way you get players like that is by drafting them, because they're very rarely traded.

Montour was acquired from Buffalo, he's done well to turn things around. They got him for a third, so that looks to have been a savvy trade. 

Weegar was drafted 206 overall in 2013, and he's slowly developed into the player we see now. If anything he's an example of why drafting and developing your own D is so important. 

They got Forsling via waivers and he finally managed to put things together in Florida. Florida's his third team and now he's playing like a top 4 guy, hockey's weird that way. 

Gudas was signed via UFA to bring muscle and bite, and to shore up their RD position. Was a savvy signing considering he's only making 2.5M. 

We traded them Juolevi. 

They signed Lucas Carlsson and he plays a depth role for them. 

None of the D we saw last night were acquired by going out and fishing with big dollars and term. The only big ticket guy on that Florida roster that they went out and fished for that way was Bobrovsky. Reinhart was gotten via trade and he's worked out really well for Florida during his first season there. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Don't need to be a waterbug to move the puck. That said, I'd happily take both :lol:

Looks like one was sent down for the other today:

https://bluelinestation.com/2022/01/12/braden-schneider-fans-hes-new-york-rangers/

Both would be my aim in a Miller trade for sure. Would solve the RD and succession plan at D nicely, especially if we’re able to keep Woo(I would figure they might want a lesser prospect RD like him back or maybe Schenn?) too. All young guys just starting out pro hockey in NA(Lundkvist was dominating the SHL before hopping over) that fit our age group. Would line up nicely in a couple years. 

1st round this year is forward heavy. Might be hard to land Jiricek or Nemec with the way they’re playing. Would love either of them though. Still some quality forwards. I really like a lot of these players this draft. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Perhaps, but if you're using Florida's D as an example you also have to consider how said players were acquired.

Ekblad is your prototypical #1D with size who can dominate at both ends of the ice at times, he was drafted #1 overall. The only way you get players like that is by drafting them, because they're very rarely traded.

Montour was acquired from Buffalo, he's done well to turn things around. They got him for a third, so that looks to have been a savvy trade. 

Weegar was drafted 206 overall in 2013, and he's slowly developed into the player we see now. If anything he's an example of why drafting and developing your own D is so important. 

They got Forsling via waivers and he finally managed to put things together in Florida. Florida's his third team and now he's playing like a top 4 guy, hockey's weird that way. 

Gudas was signed via UFA to bring muscle and bite, and to shore up their RD position. Was a savvy signing considering he's only making 2.5M. 

We traded them Juolevi. 

None of the D was saw last night were acquired by going out and fishing with big dollars and term. The only big ticket guy on that Florida roster that they went out and fished for that way was Bobrovsky. Reinhart was gotten via trade and he's worked out really well for Florida during his first season there. 

Avs are similar. Makar drafted with their own pick. They traded Duchene which landed them the pick that ended up as Byram on top of landing Girard in the same trade. Toews and Johnson via trade. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Regarding the game last night, I don't think either goalie even saw the first 3 goals.

No chance on them regardless.

Both goalies were good.

Both teams were good.

We out-chanced them and controlled the play a lot of the time, and almost doubled them up on shots.

They are tied or in first place by some metrics, in the league.

They were a good test, and imo, our improving Canucks passed the test, just didn't get the "W in the Win Column".

Onward and upward.

Live and learn; and, practice.

Somebody posted that this road trip is against the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th place (in the league) teams.

Well, I say, "Go Canucks Go!" and that 4th place team is dodging the bullet train.

This is what I thought as well.

We played very well against one of the top teams in the league but they were the better team. They played fast and having two of the best players in the league separated over two lines in Barkov and Huberdeau meant difficult match ups all night long.

I do wonder about the line combos though. I thought Pearson looked to be at his best beside Miller and Boeser, cycling the puck down low and utilizing his shot from the slot.

And Dicky-Horvat-Hogz showed that they could handle themselves in any match up. Getting Horvat going head to head against Barkov might have been fun to watch.

And some excessive line matching to get EP, Garland, Podz out against the bottom pairing D would have been a good to see.

• Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Avs are similar. Makar drafted with their own pick. They traded Duchene which landed them the pick that ended up as Byram on top of landing Girard in the same trade. Toews and Johnson via trade. 

Man, does that Toews trade ever look good in retrospect. Even when you consider what they gave up. 

21 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

We traded them Juolevi. 

None of the D we saw last night were acquired by going out and fishing with big dollars and term. The only big ticket guy on that Florida roster that they went out and fished for that way was Bobrovsky. Reinhart was gotten via trade and he's worked out really well for Florida during his first season there. 

I thought Juolevi looked good. Moved the puck well and active in the offensive zone. He would have served his role as 3LD on our team. As he gains confidence, his ability to get shots through and the first pass out of the zone will be useful asset to any team.

I still think that was a mistake of a trade.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, khay said:

I thought Juolevi looked good. Moved the puck well and active in the offensive zone. He would have served his role as 3LD on our team. As he gains confidence, his ability to get shots through and the first pass out of the zone will be useful asset to any team.

I still think that was a mistake of a trade.

I think so too, Lammikko's been serviceable but that's not exactly saying much. 

I question what a better caliber coach would have seen in him, or in some of the other young players we saw over the course of Green's tenure. Ultimately that management/coaching group cost us Juolevi and Gadjovich this season. I don't care about big Mac too much, but yeah, he went too. We had some good prospects that could have been utilized on cheap ELC's and we threw them away. 

There's no reason Juolevi couldn't have played the games Hunt's played for us. Playing in a bottom pairing role behind Hughes and OEL would have been fine. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 3

Do we all thank Kodak for a quick, suggestive snapshot on the current state of humanity? So we can shout loudly, & fornicate publicly like farm animals do..that's progress!

Only scanned a few comments, as yest was fairly busy. Call me old-school(too conservative, whatever?..), but if these are the kinda 'newsworthy' actions, that go viral to everyone's enjoyment, it's a pretty sorry state.

What happened to decency, & society, in general? Wish we could all go back to(about 1970!) & start over...

In the 1990's figured I'd seen enough, & basically walked away from the rudely obnoxious, & unsustainable, NA'n lifestyle. Appears it's deteriorating even more rapidly now, likely exacerbated with the distorted 'progress' of speedy high-tech, group-think. If I went back to them same early 90's, wouldn't walk away - I'd run.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Do we all thank Kodak for a quick, suggestive snapshot on the current state of humanity? So we can shout loudly, & fornicate publicly like farm animals do..that's progress!

Only scanned a few comments, as yest was fairly busy. Call me old-school(too conservative, whatever?..), but if these are the kinda 'newsworthy' actions, that go viral to everyone's enjoyment, it's a pretty sorry state.

What happened to decency, & society, in general? Wish we could all go back to(about 1970!) & start over...

In the 1990's figured I'd seen enough, & basically walked away from the rudely obnoxious, & unsustainable, NA'n lifestyle. Appears it's deteriorating even more rapidly now, likely exacerbated with the distorted 'progress' of speedy high-tech, group-think. If I went back to them same early 90's, wouldn't walk away - I'd run.

I think this is in the wrong thread?

17 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

in fairness, Mr. Kodak isn't out there speaking, or er... acting.. as a representative citizen. Also Japan does have some pretty weird vending machines.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

if we keep going for OK players though we're still going to struggle against the best teams for the next few years. 

Watching FLA last night, and how they keep getting the puck up the ice so fast - thats that we need more of imo. More Hamonics aren't going to get us there. 

This is true.  I was thinking we needed to add a couple of Scott Mayfield types to our D.  Then I looked at Florida's D:

MacKenzie Weeger - 6' 200

Gustav Forsling - 6' 186

Brandon Montour - 6' 189

Lucas Carlson - 6' 190

Radko Gudas - 6' 205

Olli Juolevi - 6'2" 183

Aaron Ekblad - 6'4" 215

If you take Ekbald out their defense is tiny compared to ours already.  I'm thinking maybe we can get away with having Rathbone in the lineup and getting a more mobile RHD to partner Hughes than Hamonic or Schenn.

Florida is the best team in the league.  At the end of the day it is about puck possession and quick movement out of the zone.  Their PK is average but everything else makes up for it.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is true.  I was thinking we needed to add a couple of Scott Mayfield types to our D.  Then I looked at Florida's D:

MacKenzie Weeger - 6' 200

Gustav Forsling - 6' 186

Brandon Montour - 6' 189

Lucas Carlson - 6' 190

Radko Gudas - 6' 205

Olli Juolevi - 6'2" 1853

Aaron Ekblad - 6'4" 215

If you take Ekbald out their defense is tiny compared to ours already.  I'm thinking maybe we can get away with having Rathbone in the lineup and getting a more mobile RHD to partner Hughes than Hamonic or Schenn.

Florida is the best team in the league.  At the end of the day it is about puck possession and quick movement out of the zone.  Their PK is average but everything else makes up for it.

That Juolevi kid sure skated like a wind for a guy weighing 1,853 pounds.

Should've never traded him.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Don't need to be a waterbug to move the puck. That said, I'd happily take both :lol:

Looks like one was sent down for the other today:

https://bluelinestation.com/2022/01/12/braden-schneider-fans-hes-new-york-rangers/

I think I would be all over Braden Schneider at this point.  I was of the opinion that we needed a Scott Mayfield to partner Hughes, but in watching how Florida plays and how small but mobile their defense is I think Schneider would be the perfect partner for Hughes.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Thought she was just ...what passes for dancing these days.

She had to go twerk. 

Not as bad but still gross. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1