The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Patrik Allvin as GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Patrik Allvin as GM  

180 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Expecting imminent signings of Karlsson, Jasek and Utunen, and reopened negotiations with Tryamkin 

If nothing else, you can bet that they are reviewing everyone on the current reserve list, with fresh eyes making determinations on who’s worth signing and who isn’t. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them take a run at contracts for some of the players on your list.

Tryamkin would be very interesting. If he did sign with the Canucks now, it would probably say a fair amount about his relationship with the past regime, and their overall handling of his situation. I’d say it’s still unlikely, but at the same time, much of the behaviour/posturing from his camp suggested he did want to come back, but for whatever reason, they couldn’t seem to get it done when Benning was here.

And, of course, I’d be pleased to see Jasek get a contract and a legitimate shot.

Karlsson I could see getting a deal, based on what he’s achieved this year in the SHL.

Less sure about Utunen, but certainly not ruling it out.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, ktcy2 said:

It’s funny how the media and the Canucks made it look like there is a selection and interviewing process lol. It was allvin’s to begin with. Not sure I like that non-transparency. Putting up a show for interviews and all that 

The whole process, reminds of the hiring process in the corporations, I had worked for - especially, when it comes to hiring in upper management.  In most cases, the candidate - will eventually, screw up [big] or become ineffective and the end result normally depends on the relationship with the boss - classic cronyism.   

Willing, to give this crew a chance but I am concern, of how there tenure ended in Pittsburgh: lack of drafting & development success - hence, they needed to keep trading there 1st, for complementary players.  I understand, they are maximizing there two stars compete window but if they had just avg 1 roster player every 2/3yrs of draft - they would had kept some of there 1st.  Anyways, (just like JR) Allvin said all the right things when it comes, to there perceived time line of the roster. 

Edited by ShawnAntoski

6 hours ago, Googlie said:

Expecting imminent signings of Karlsson, Jasek and Utunen, and reopened negotiations with Tryamkin 

Please no he'll just suck at the NHL level. Real hockey players only. That bum is 27 already it would take him two years and another baby clause to get him up to speed. He had his chance. Nyet. 

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Thanks 2

The way Allvin and JR managed things in PIT (trades etc) won't necessarily be the same as it will be here. JR even said that the Canucks are not in that part of the cycle where they should be trading high picks. They're not a playoff team (yet), and from what I gather, they would like to rebuild a young core where they can all grow together. 

So, I'm thinking higher draft picks and prospects in return for possibly Boeser, Horvat and/or Miller.  Maybe they only trade one of them, maybe all of them.

Add those high picks/prospects to Pettersson, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Lockwood, Klimovich, Hughes, Woo and Demko.

On 1/25/2022 at 11:52 PM, Westcoasting said:

Tough to compare though, Pittsburgh traded most of their first round picks and the picks they had were close to end of the second round. Benning has the same results so far it seems. Most are still prospects and have a slight hope of NHL time.

Benning got a ton of credit for his drafting, but we only legitimately made the playoffs once in his entire tenure here. Lots to being a GM besides drafting 

Things for Allvin to deal with. Cap ;    Pearson      -       3.25   mil

Dickinson    -       2.65   mil

Poolman      -      2.5     mil

Hamonic      -      3        mil

A long with 2.4 mil in dead space. These all carry to next year.

LOL, have fun with that.

Edited by appleboy
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, appleboy said:

Things for Allvin to deal with. Cap ;    Pearson      -       3.25   mil

Dickinson    -       2.65   mil

Poolman      -      2.5     mil

Hamonic      -      3        mil

A long with 2.4 mil in dead space. These all carry to next year.

LOL, have fun with that.

That would be my choices as well but it remains to  be seen if any or all of that actually happens. My most preferred would be Pearson and Hamonic

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

That would be my choices as well but it remains to  be seen if any or all of that actually happens. My most preferred would be Pearson and Hamonic

What about Sutter? I know he’s still out due to Covid long haul.
At this point it sound like he will have to be forced to retire, if his symptoms isn’t gone…

Boomer on NHL Network had a numbers guy on today. They talked about Allvin and his success. His ability to oversee the acquisition of "fillers" that manged to play 200 games in the NHL at various levels was off the charts while in Pits. I mean, percentage wise second place was a far back second. I think we should all be very excited about this hiring. Evaluating pro talent was not kind under JB, Miller aside. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Crimson-JH said:

What about Sutter? I know he’s still out due to Covid long haul.
At this point it sound like he will have to be forced to retire, if his symptoms isn’t gone…

A lot will depend on where he is at by the end of the season. He is a UFA and if his symptoms are still hampering his ability to play , my guess is that he will retire from the game.

6 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

Hopefully he comes to the conclusion that we need to trade Miller and Boeser for assets. If we don't, I don't see us making the playoffs until maybe 2030

You seem extra confident those are the specific moves that we need to make. What experience do you have to know all this?

Edited by The Lock

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

You seem extra confident those are the specific moves that we need to make. What experience do you have to know all this?

Im a ex NHL player who has won 10 cup rings. You won't see me in the record books because I donated my cup rings to the homeless shelter you live in.

• Like 1