The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames | Jan. 29, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, -DLC- said:

Because he can?

Damned if he does/doesn't stuff.

I like the JT that goes right at the net and won't fault him for that.

He tries that play 10 times it might work one or two times.  Low  percentage  play that has a high probability of turn over 

fabulous player but sometimes his gears don’t work upstairs 

• Upvote 4

Just now, Outsiders said:

Seriously our best players tonight were Highmore and Motte and they have been for awhile. Thats a big problem. Miller, Boeser, Garland should all net us good assets we can build a good team going forward.

Garland we should keep.  Miller keep too unless someone seriously overpays.  Boeser can go for a bag of pucks

Just now, Harold Drunken said:

This teams major flaw is they still struggle to score goals consistently. Boeser as much as I like him still can't seem to hit the net. We were fortunate to get a point tonight but this teams struggle to score goals will continue to lose them games.

Plus the average defense. Besides Hughes there is no one else.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I mean Gaudreau was noticeable all game.

Petey? Boeser?

Theres no way your Snipers should have zero shots in a game. 

Boeser has a grade A chance in the slot and misses the net…

But Petey scored a couple goals this month!!!!

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Just shows how good Sutter's defensive system is, we whooped Winnipeg a few nights ago then give Marky an easy 15 save shutout with 0 shots of 3 powerplays. Calgary has been dominant defensively and we just couldn't break them down. They'll go far if they make the playoffs with this stingy sort of play but it just shows how far off we are. That was Calgary at the end of 3 in 4 nights.

Dreadful play by us all game and the goal sums it up, we got frustrated and tried to walk through 3 defencemen when we should have shown patience and taken it slowly. Markstrom's eagerness to play the puck took away the option of rimming it around the boards but all we needed to do was have a forward drive in hard and drop it back at the blueline. Same applies for the wasted PPs where we could have won the game. Bruce will have to look into that - our style works against most teams but not this Sutter defence.

Lucky to get a point and hover around .500 but we've got to win these games if we want to be considered a playoff team.

That play sets up a shot from the blue line but we have been so dreadful all season at going to the net for tip-ins, screening the goalie, and generating rebound opportunities. Getting the shots through from the blue line is so hard against that defence blocking so many shots.

The only way to beat Sutter's defensive system is to have supreme speed and skill. 

You need a dynamite player like Patrick Kane to disrupt their formation and get the guys off of their position to create the seams for passes.

If we ever meet these guys in the playoffs, I'd have Hughes be a free roamer. Control the puck and take it as deep as necessary with the forwards going to the net.

It will be a hard match up for anyone with how well they are playing that system.

Fugly, absolutely fugly.

If we had that kind of home-team reffing on Tuesday, we'd have clobbered the Coilers.

Oh well, at least the PK (and Demko, of course) were great.  Silver lining, along with the single point.

1 minute ago, D.B Cooper said:

Yup.  He totally didn’t lose the puck because he got a good slash in the hands…..

The refs definitely didn’t miss that one. 

Regardless what happened, Miller made a stupid play trying to go 1on3 in OT. I agree it was totally a penalty but thats a play you just cant make

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Because he can?

Damned if he does/doesn't stuff.

I like the JT that goes right at the net and won't fault him for that.

3 on 3 is all about possession.

Trying to beat three guys like that is a low percentage play that will almost certainly equal a turnover.

Hes gotta play that better. Hold up at the line until he has some passing options and cycle the puck.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Just now, EddieVedder said:

Garland we should keep.  Miller keep too unless someone seriously overpays.  Boeser can go for a bag of pucks

I definitely over reacted with Garland. He should stay, I love his game. 

Miller and Boeser would each net us 2 or 3 assets each. Trade them both and we solved a lot of our C and RHD issues going forward

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I mean Gaudreau was noticeable all game.

Petey? Boeser?

Theres no way your Snipers should have zero shots in a game. 

Boeser has a grade A chance in the slot and misses the net…

Disappointing since this was a big divisional match with a good opportunity to close the gap in the standings.