The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New York Islanders at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 09, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

17 hours ago, iinatcc said:

So two interesting factoids on this game

This is the most goals the Islanders scored in a game this season

And 5 goals in one period isn't even the most the Islanders scored in one period in Rogers Arena :lol:

And not even a club record for how fast they scored the goals. 

3 hours ago, stawns said:

With the trade of one player, miller, they would like get two players that slot immediately into roster slits and a draft pick that could be a roster player as soon as two years.  And that's just for Miller.......throw Boeser into the mix and you could be looking at 5 very good players in roster spots in two years, and that's not considering tye cap space freed up to sign players as well.

Two smart moves could change this franchise for a decade.

I'm a proponent of trading Miller for retool. Miller alone will help, maybe Boeser if there is a great deal to be had. Not all 5 players we get back will pan out, even if 2 players pan out, then it's a win since it frees up quite a bit of cap at the same time.

If Miller wants to stay here for 4 years at 7.5 mil, then that's something that the management will have to think long and hard about. The problem is that we can't negotiate with Miller until the offseason. 

17 minutes ago, khay said:

I'm a proponent of trading Miller for retool. Miller alone will help, maybe Boeser if there is a great deal to be had. Not all 5 players we get back will pan out, even if 2 players pan out, then it's a win since it frees up quite a bit of cap at the same time.

If Miller wants to stay here for 4 years at 7.5 mil, then that's something that the management will have to think long and hard about. The problem is that we can't negotiate with Miller until the offseason. 

Why not?  They'd likely be trading for developed prospects and/or roster players. Hopefully any pick they get is a first or second rounder.  No reason that most, if not all would be good NHL players.  I would agree if they were in rebuipd mode, ALA coyotes and stockpiled picks

• Huggy Bear 2

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

I got flamed for putting McDavid into the same catagory as Stastny and Hawerchuk in the 80's this summer., who really without Gretzky and Mario were the cream of the crop in the 80's decade (and Yzerman)  ....  personally feel Crosby is also a level above.   He's like Yzerman ... Even Sakic was a better all around player.    McDavid for sure is dangerous, but his D game is lacking.   Actually Stastny was better too.   Just the best offensive guy we have right now.    

Agreed 100% IBatch.  At this point McDavid is a very one dimensional player.  Crosby had a complete game, could even fight and stick up for himself.  Was great on faceoffs, great 200' game, killed penalties plus put up 100+ points per year and led his team to a Cup.  Crosby also made the players around him better, just like Gretzky and Lemieux.

McDavid is the best offensive player in the game.  But even Yzerman and Sakic had a more well rounded game.  Heck, even Nathan MacKinnon has a more well rounded game.

Draisaitl is a better player than McDavid.  Less pure skill but can do more on the ice and works better with his teammates.

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, khay said:

Yep. Crosby > McDavid at age 24.

The way Crosby generates offence is also more proficient than McDavid, who is more of an off the rush player.

The fact that Crosby had a cup in his resume by 23 also goes to support the claim that Crosby > McDavid.

I don't think there is a player better than Crosby since Crosby came into the league.

Crosby made his teammates better.  And was a complete player.  McDavid is a pure offensive talent and quite frankly teams are finding ways to shut him down now.  He's not even leading the league in points right now.  Teams have figured him out.  If McDavid ever loses a step he's in trouble as his speed is what separates him from the others.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, gurn said:

8 points out of 3rd in the division, have to climb over 4 teams to get there; 3 of those teams have games in hand.

7 points out of the 2nd wildcard spot, have to climb over 4 teams to get there, 4 of those teams have games in hand.

34 games left in the Canuck season.

Canucks have settled to a .500 pace; it will not be enough.

Games in hand at this point, simply means more games squeezed into a finite schedule. 

2 hours ago, khay said:

They can already negotiate with Miller now.  They can't file his contract before the start of next season which is 13 July this season.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Off topic,.  For those who have not gone to bed yet,.

im watching the Olympic / Denmark vs Russia game.

Is that on Big Ice?

I thought the IIHF was weening that off?

Even most rinks in the KHL have changed to the N/American sized rink.

Their website says it’s the regulation NHL ice  but it does look big doesn’t it?

Halak hasn't reached his games played bonus yet per Friedman in his 32 Thoughts:

11. This could all be moot because he’s not inclined to move, but Jaroslav Halak has not yet reached his $1.25M games-played bonus, because it’s for 10 starts -- not 10 appearances. There’s been a lot of debate about whether or not this or his “other” bonus ($250,000 for a .905 save percentage or better) can be shared between teams. According to several capologists, there can be no sharing. One team has to pay all of it, but, as part of a trade, the acquiring team could agree to accept it if worthwhile. But, again, this may all be moot if Halak declines to move.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, mll said:

Halak hasn't reached his games played bonus yet per Friedman in his 32 Thoughts:

11. This could all be moot because he’s not inclined to move, but Jaroslav Halak has not yet reached his $1.25M games-played bonus, because it’s for 10 starts -- not 10 appearances. There’s been a lot of debate about whether or not this or his “other” bonus ($250,000 for a .905 save percentage or better) can be shared between teams. According to several capologists, there can be no sharing. One team has to pay all of it, but, as part of a trade, the acquiring team could agree to accept it if worthwhile. But, again, this may all be moot if Halak declines to move.

I'll be surprised if he's moved tbh, that bonus likely being the sticking point. Maybe if we're willing to pay and eat the dead cap next season. If we're willing to eat it next season, what the hell. At least we'd get something. But it's up to Halak. 

Teams may need goaltenders, but I don't think Halak is worth having dead cap next season for a team that sees itself in a window where they could go deep. 

Edited by Coconuts

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Crosby made his teammates better.  And was a complete player.  McDavid is a pure offensive talent and quite frankly teams are finding ways to shut him down now.  He's not even leading the league in points right now.  Teams have figured him out.  If McDavid ever loses a step he's in trouble as his speed is what separates him from the others.

Yeah, he's basically a Pavel Bure. Great player but if his knee ever gives out... well he will still have his skills and vision to make plays but will not be as dynamic. H will have to find a way to reinvent his game if he does lose his speed.

20 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'll be surprised if he's moved tbh, that bonus likely being the sticking point. Maybe if we're willing to pay and eat the dead cap next season. If we're willing to eat it next season, what the hell. At least we'd get something. But it's up to Halak. 

Teams may need goaltenders, but I don't think Halak is worth having dead cap next season for a team that sees itself in a window where they could go deep. 

I don't get all this fuss about Halak's bonus carrying over to next season.

We are retooling so we won't be signing any big name player in the free agency. In fact, we are looking to shed some cap in the next two seasons by trading contracts off and replacing them with cheaper contracts. 

I don't mind keeping Halak and just eating up his bonus next season.

• Upvote 3