The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canadiens trade Tyler Toffoli to Flames for Tyler Pitlick, Emil Heineman, 2022 1st-round pick, 2024 5th-round pick

1 hour ago, awalk said:

Me too Coconuts, me too. And for once in my multi decades of being a Canucks fan - and certainly the most since Gillis came on board with many new progressive ideas - I am actually pretty hopeful that we have a management team that will be able to do this. Fingers crossed. 

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Nice. Been a fan since 82 and couldn't of said it better. 

Here's hoping Rutherford and co can get us to that place. We've rooted through the Nucks through good times and bad, here's hoping this management group can bring those good times back again. 

I'm tired of moral victories and what if's. What if doesn't get you to the playoffs, it starts a theoretical debate. And I don't just want to make the playoffs, I want to make them consistently. I'm not interested in going all in during the near future for what I'd call a misguided attempt at contending with a team that currently doesn't appear to be ready. Rome wasn't built in a day, but it was built. I'm more than willing to be patient. It's not as if we haven't already been waiting anyway. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Coconuts said:

Here's hoping Rutherford and co can get us to that place. We've rooted through the Nucks through good times and bad, here's hoping this management group can bring those good times back again. 

I'm tired of moral victories and what if's. What if doesn't get you to the playoffs, it starts a theoretical debate. And I don't just want to make the playoffs, I want to make them consistently. I'm not interested in going all in during the near future for what I'd call a misguided attempt at contending with a team that currently doesn't appear to be ready. Rome wasn't built in a day, but it was built. I'm more than willing to be patient. 

I have no interest in the Jim Benning 'anything can happen if we make the playoffs' approach. I want this team to be built as a consistent cup contender. A 'when we make the playoffs', not 'if'. 

Just now, awalk said:

I have no interest in the Jim Benning 'anything can happen if we make the playoffs' approach. I want this team to be built as a consistent cup contender. A 'when we make the playoffs', not 'if'. 

Yup, exactly that. I don't want to try and squeak in, I want to watch a team that can comfortably grab a divisional spot consistently. 

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yup, exactly that. I don't want to try and squeak in, I want to watch a team that can comfortably grab a divisional spot consistently. 

Agreed. And the only way to do that in the cap world is to have a system full of talent coming up to take jobs from vets looking to cash in.

That's why, even if some think the Canucks are good enough now, or close to it, they're wrong. Because there's nothing much coming behind what is on the team now. Whereas a team like Carolina not only is great now, but they had 10 players at the WJCs - Canucks had 1. 

Rutherford & Co. need to focus on 2023-24. That should be the start of the team's window,  with Demko still with 3 years and Hughes 4 years left on their current deals. Until then, try to build up the system/asset depth as much as possible, without damaging the development of the key younger guys.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Agreed. And the only way to do that in the cap world is to have a system full of talent coming up to take jobs from vets looking to cash in.

That's why, even if some think the Canucks are good enough now, or close to it, they're wrong. Because there's nothing much coming behind what is on the team now. Whereas a team like Carolina not only is great now, but they had 10 players at the WJCs - Canucks had 1. 

Rutherford & Co. need to focus on 2023-24. That should be the start of the team's window,  with Demko still with 3 years and Hughes 4 years left on their current deals. Until then, try to build up the system/asset depth as much as possible, without damaging the development of the key younger guys.

You nailed it. We don't have much in the system; and by that I don't mean we don't have some interesting prospects, but outside of maybe Klimovich, Woo, or Karlsson there's nobody I'd really project as a potential impact player. And when I mention Karlsson I mean someone who could be a third liner.

It's not enough to hyperfocus on the current roster, you've gotta build for the future too. If we want to be competitive on a longer term basis we'll need to draft and develop well, which means holding on to our high picks as those early rounds are the best places to grab top end prospects. Management needs to look beyond Hughes, Demko, Pettersson, ect and start building up that next wave as well. Having players who can play on ELC's is more important than ever in a cap world. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Right now they're worried about winning a game, everything's relative to your own situation. 

They're bottom feeders who likely haven't even hit rock bottom yet, we're supposed to be a middling team with potential to get better sooner rather than later,  totally different scenarios. 

No I was meaning that people are always saying you can't trade a guy you just signed, otherwise UFA's will never want to sign there again.................

It was just my way of pointing the obvious............of course they will

Edited by J.I.A.H.N

3 hours ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Rathbone could be better, compare him to Adam Fox.

Rathbone was just named AHL player of the Week - 10 points in 4 games.

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. … The American Hockey League announced today that Abbotsford Canucks defenseman Jack Rathbone has been selected as the AHL Player of the Week for the period ending February 13, 2022.

Rathbone notched three goals and seven assists for 10 points in four games for Abbotsford last week, more than doubling his offensive output for the season.

Last Monday, Rathbone had a five-point night with a goal and four assists in the Canucks’ 8-5 win over Tucson. He came back with another assist on Wednesday as Abbotsford defeated the Roadrunners, 5-0, and tallied a goal and an assist during the Canucks’ five-goal first period en route to an 8-2 victory over Manitoba on Friday. Rathbone completed the week with a goal and an assist on Saturday as Abbotsford knocked off the Moose, 5-2.

The Canucks outscored their opponents 26-9 in the four games, with Rathbone on the ice for 14 goals for and just three against.

A second-year pro out of Harvard University, the 22-year-old Rathbone now has five goals and 14 assists for 19 points in 18 AHL games this season, while also skating in nine National Hockey League contests with the parent Vancouver Canucks.

Rathbone, a Boston native, was selected by Vancouver in the fourth round of the 2017 NHL Draft. He collected nine points in eight AHL games with Utica in 2020-21, and added one goal and two assists in eight NHL outings with the Canucks.

Encouraging, but Rathbone is an LD whereas Schneider is an RD. Schneider wouldn't have as many guys to jump in Van, whereas Rathbone isn't bumping OEL or Hughes any time soon. Not unless he or someone else is playing their off side.

Edited by Coconuts

7 hours ago, Coconuts said:

You nailed it. We don't have much in the system; and by that I don't mean we don't have some interesting prospects, but outside of maybe Klimovich, Woo, or Karlsson there's nobody I'd really project as a potential impact player. And when I mention Karlsson I mean someone who could be a third liner.

It's not enough to hyperfocus on the current roster, you've gotta build for the future too. If we want to be competitive on a longer term basis we'll need to draft and develop well, which means holding on to our high picks as those early rounds are the best places to grab top end prospects. Management needs to look beyond Hughes, Demko, Pettersson, ect and start building up that next wave as well. Having players who can play on ELC's is more important than ever in a cap world. 

Guys,

What about Martin, Silvos and Dipeitro who is only 22.  What about Rathbone?  Utunnen, Jurmo, McDonough ?  

Plus we have both our 1st and 2nd from a recent draft on the roster who are both under 20.  

our most promising young players, Hughes and Pettersson are both well worth keeping and the lead in Pettersson is has lots of room to show improvement and Hughes needs to take some steps that come with time and adversity.  

so let’s not start tanking on our prospects just yet.   

but let’s not give away futures to now players for now.  Need to maintain and grow the pool.  

but by no means is the future dim.  

7 hours ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Rathbone could be better, compare him to Adam Fox.

Rathbone was just named AHL player of the Week - 10 points in 4 games.

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. … The American Hockey League announced today that Abbotsford Canucks defenseman Jack Rathbone has been selected as the AHL Player of the Week for the period ending February 13, 2022.

Rathbone notched three goals and seven assists for 10 points in four games for Abbotsford last week, more than doubling his offensive output for the season.

Last Monday, Rathbone had a five-point night with a goal and four assists in the Canucks’ 8-5 win over Tucson. He came back with another assist on Wednesday as Abbotsford defeated the Roadrunners, 5-0, and tallied a goal and an assist during the Canucks’ five-goal first period en route to an 8-2 victory over Manitoba on Friday. Rathbone completed the week with a goal and an assist on Saturday as Abbotsford knocked off the Moose, 5-2.

The Canucks outscored their opponents 26-9 in the four games, with Rathbone on the ice for 14 goals for and just three against.

A second-year pro out of Harvard University, the 22-year-old Rathbone now has five goals and 14 assists for 19 points in 18 AHL games this season, while also skating in nine National Hockey League contests with the parent Vancouver Canucks.

Rathbone, a Boston native, was selected by Vancouver in the fourth round of the 2017 NHL Draft. He collected nine points in eight AHL games with Utica in 2020-21, and added one goal and two assists in eight NHL outings with the Canucks.

Glad Rathbone is putting up points. I hope he can learn to play defence at an NHL level though. He wasn't good at all in his own end of the rink. Still early, hopefully he figures it out. 

10 hours ago, awalk said:

I walked by him in Whistler last summer, he's uhh... quite large. 

What would you say his height/weight was?

I have this weird thing with players and their height/weight. I find most players are on the small side and lie in the program.

Lucic I'm guessing isn't one of those.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

Guys,

What about Martin, Silvos and Dipeitro who is only 22.  What about Rathbone?  Utunnen, Jurmo, McDonough ?  

Plus we have both our 1st and 2nd from a recent draft on the roster who are both under 20.  

our most promising young players, Hughes and Pettersson are both well worth keeping and the lead in Pettersson is has lots of room to show improvement and Hughes needs to take some steps that come with time and adversity.  

but let’s not give away futures to now players for now.  Need to maintain and grow the pool.  

Logically, we'll be lucky if just 2 of those guys end up regular NHL-ers, let alone impact ones.

Every team has a bunch of prospects they draft in rounds 3-7 every year, plus additional signed undraftees. Some look promising at lower levels, but by far the majority don't make it. A few years ago you could have said the same thing about Nikita Tryamkin, Adam Gaudette, Cole Cassels, Guillaume Brisebois, Lukas Jasek, Carl Neill, Dmitri Zhukenov, Jordan Subban, Anton Cederholm, etc - but how many of those guys are making a difference at the NHL level?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Tryamkin was a good pick but horribly mishandled.

Tryamkin is the definition of a gutless coward though. :sick: This isn't just a regular weasel, he's actually afraid to challenge himself at hockey ... he won't even lace up the skates against Lucic. :unsure: Pathetic. 

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Guys,

Who?