The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Andrei Kuzmenko

10 hours ago, mll said:

Not about Kane himself but his situation.  Kuzmenko is in a similar situation as Kane was the point.  An upcoming UFA who is probably looking to cash in on his next deal - what better place to do than on a team that will give him the opportunity to play with overly productive players.  

Kuzmenko can only sign an ELC - it's the same bid from everyone.  He is then a UFA in a year.  Is he deciding his whole future for this 1 year or trying to give himself more opportunities in 1-year's time when he can sign a UFA deal.

Cheers Mil.

I see the Oilers signed the NCAA prospect out of Denver this morning..

not good say that Kuzmenko still wouldn’t go to the oilers.

but that might be notable to his agent Milstein, as stacking against his client.

Holland keeping busy.

Edited by SilentSam

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Cheers Mil.

not good say that Kuzmenko still wouldn’t go to the oilers.

but that might be notable to his agent Milstein, as stacking against his client.

Holland keeping busy.

I think it was their own draft pick, so I don't know if it will stack up much. If he's deciding in the next two weeks, I feel there's not gonna be many changes amongst the finalists, or else I'd think Evander's contract would play a role. Edmonton may have a spot in the top-6/7 without him. Vancouver may have a top-6 spot if Boeser and/or Miller are moved. I wonder what Milstein thinks is a safer gamble/what Rutherford is saying to their camp.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Some young prospects are so blinded and enamored with the idea of playing on McDavid's team, maybe thinking it gives them better odds of winning a Cup or something, because McDavid's won so many Cups.  The smart kids will choose a team they have the most opportunity to play, with a team that's on the rise, and having some real good young stars as team mates. 

If McDavid ever gets traded out of EDM, no one will ever want to play there.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Some young prospects are so blinded and enamored with the idea of playing on McDavid's team, maybe thinking it gives them better odds of winning a Cup or something, because McDavid's won so many Cups.  The smart kids will choose a team they have the most opportunity to play, with a team that's on the rise, and having some real good young stars as team mates. 

If McDavid ever gets traded out of EDM, no one will ever want to play there.

It was an Oilers draft pick from 2020.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Nice player, but I don’t see us getting him. 

Right down to the end, then he goes to Edmonton and has a garbage career.

Back to Russia in 2 seasons.    

I do generally wish Kuzmenko well, but if he picks the Oilers, I kinda hope this happens.

If he chooses Vancouver, however… ;) 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

why you dont see us getting him? whats with all the negative energy. I actually see us getting him, why would he go to Edmonton when they have a million forwards yet still choke in playoffs. He wont get ice time there and wont play with McDavid as you cant have 100 forwards playing with 1 player on one line. You have Kane  Hyman, Drai, Poolparty, Yamamoto, RNH, Foegele, Kassian etc. all wanting to play with McDavid plus some other UFA forwards that Oilers sign. Now tell me how Kuzmenko would go to Edmonton to play with McDavid when he could very well be on 3rd line as Oilers have lots of forward options. Plus no cap to sign Kuzmenko after his deal is up. Vancouver has Bruce and top 6 spot available right off the bat.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

16 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

It's only happened like 24 times 

• Haha 3

I don’t see him going to Edmonton. They have no Russians on their team at all. They have a couple on their farm team, but both struggled this year, mostly under the coach of the NHL team.

Obviously that’s not everything, and players are individuals no matter where they’re from. But it’s nice to go where there are people with similar backgrounds/culture/etc. Especially right now, when there is general negativity towards the country you come from. Kuzmenko can just give Podz a call, and get a first-hand account of what it’s like to be a Russian in that dressing room - he can’t do that with anyone in Edmonton.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

why you dont see us getting him? whats with all the negative energy. I actually see us getting him, why would he go to Edmonton when they have a million forwards yet still choke in playoffs. He wont get ice time there and wont play with McDavid as you cant have 100 forwards playing with 1 player on one line. You have Kane  Hyman, Drai, Poolparty, Yamamoto, RNH, Foegele, Kassian etc. all wanting to play with McDavid plus some other UFA forwards that Oilers sign. Now tell me how Kuzmenko would go to Edmonton to play with McDavid when he could very well be on 3rd line as Oilers have lots of forward options. Plus no cap to sign Kuzmenko after his deal is up. Vancouver has Bruce and top 6 spot available right off the bat.

What are you, new here?  
Why don’t I see us getting him?   
Because I have seen this movie before a couple dozen times.   Hahah

I hope I’m wrong…….. but I doubt it. 

from Drance and Dhaliwal:

Take this with several grains of salt because the Canucks won’t say it, and Kuzmenko’s agent Dan Millstein won’t say it, but there’s also an increasing belief around the league that Vancouver has emerged as a very strong contender — perhaps even a prohibitive favourite — to land Kuzmenko’s services.

Vancouver is very high on the player. There’s a firm internal belief that the 26-year-old forward can be a productive, offensive contributor for the Canucks next season. The opportunity to land a player of this calibre with no acquisition cost would be a significant coup, particularly with two-thirds of the NHL bidding for Kuzmenko’s services.

The process is weeks away from concluding and no decisions have been made at this point. Moreover, there are potentially significant hurdles still to clear before a deal is done, particularly on the work visa front...

In asking around, there are a couple of items that The Athletic learned this week about Vancouver’s pitch to Kuzmenko that stick out pointedly. Not just because of what they reveal about Kuzmenko, but also what they might indicate about Vancouver’s bigger picture plans for this offseason and beyond.

Firstly, one of the key reasons why new Canucks hockey operations leadership is so high on the player, is that there’s an organizational belief that he can be a Day 1 difference-maker for the club on the power play.

That’s a fascinating factor here, particularly as the Canucks’ power-play one personnel — Brock Boeser, J.T. Miller, Bo Horvat, Elias Pettersson, Quinn Hughes — would appear to be relatively settled.

As a 26-year-old player, Kuzmenko’s NHL contract will be governed by the NHL’s entry-level system. He’s only able to sign a one-year deal with a maximum $925,000 paragraph 1 salary, a maximum $92,500 signing bonus, a maximum $850,000 in Schedule A signing bonuses and a maximum $2 million in Schedule B bonuses (more on that factor later).

Because Kuzmenko is only limited to signing a one-year contract, an opportunity is everything. Kuzmenko’s decision, more than any other factor, will be shaped by fit and opportunity, and which team gives him the best chance of establishing himself as an NHL commodity.

It’s why Boudreau was a significant part of the club’s pitch.

If Kuzmenko is going to be a big factor on the Canucks’ power play next season, that would seem to pose some hard questions about the club’s plans in other areas of their forward ranks.

Another item we’ve learned about Vancouver’s pitch to Kuzmenko is that while he’s only eligible to sign a one-year contract, the vision the club is selling to the player and his representatives with Gold Star Hockey extends beyond just this season upcoming.

It’s not just about the opportunity the club can afford Kuzmenko in 2022-23. It’s also about having the salary cap space in 2023-24 to facilitate a lift in salary for the skilled Russian forward in his second NHL season, presuming he performs as well at the NHL level as the club believes he can.

Considering all of the business that Vancouver has to attend to in extension talks with Boeser and ultimately Horvat and Miller this offseason, that’s a fascinating wrinkle.

As for the Schedule B bonuses, they’re a relatively rare device. They’re the hallmark of first overall picks or players like Elias Pettersson who are drafted high and also light the world on fire in their draft plus-one campaigns.

It’s not likely that the Canucks will need to offer Schedule B bonuses to Kuzmenko to complete the deal, although talks aren’t nearly advanced enough for the sides to have even broached the subject at this juncture. Kuzmenko’s camp has other priorities outside of maximizing bonuses, their eyes are firmly trained on the player’s long-term NHL prospects.

https://theathletic.com/3309739/2022/05/13/boudreau-kuzmenko-staff-changes-what-were-hearing-about-the-canucks-offseason-priorities/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1