The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Andrei Kuzmenko

I hope Kuzmenko chooses the Canucks, he could be a solid contributor.  I think it is important to keep in perspective the league he is coming from.

Kuzmenko had 1.18 pts per game

Goldobin had .93 pts per game

Granlund .93 pts per game

Jensen .92 pts per game

These are 3 players that couldn't stick with the Canucks when we really sucked.  This was Kuzmenko's best season by far in the KHL.  In his 2 previous seasons he had .65 and .67 pts per game.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Call me old skool, but I'm against 'promising' guys anything other than a fair shot to earn a spot. 

I tend to lean old school as well, but I don't mind this too much given that there is a pretty easy spot to slot him in to. If he stinks, you know Bruce will do what he has to and bench him if need be. 

• Vintage 1

Kuzmenko is going to be a 26 year old on a 1 year ELC and will be UFA at the end of his 1 year contract. He will sign where he has the best opportunity to showcase his talents to maximize his contract as a 27 year old UFA. IMHO this will likely see him signing in Edmonton where he can rack up his points playing with McDavid/Draisaitl.

I wonder why it's so quiet. No one seems to know anything: where he is, where's he's going, who he's meeting with, etc.

I do tend to agree that he'll end up signing in EDM because of McDavid, try to up his value. If that happens, it'll be one more reason to dislike the Oilers. It would be a bit funny if the Oilers did sign him and kept him in the bottom 6 and limited his ice time, with the occasional healthy scratch. Just ruin his first year.  Wouldn't be the first time the Oilers ruined a rookie. I wonder if Kuzmenko knows Yakupov? 

Kuzmenko has to be careful he chooses the right team. What he should be looking for is an up and coming team that's close, that he can help (make the playoffs), and where he's guaranteed a spot in the Top 9 with every opportunity to showcase his skills.

If he's signing in EDM, then he's lacking and needs to rely on Connie to help him get paid. 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm not even getting my hopes up.

Vancouver never seems to land the big fish.

Maybe Fin scares them off. :lol:

don't worry, he's not a big fish. If we don't get him so what... people are pumping his tires waaaay too much because he's on a roadshow marketing himself like he's Jagr at 24 years old. He's a maybe NHL player who has upside...outside of that, meh...

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’m very much hoping Kuzmenko announces he’s signing with us tomorrow.  We have a big press conference to introduce him and he puts on our jersey.  

Nah, he’ll probably announce his selection  on an hour long extravaganza hosted by ESPN like LeBron.

• Haha 3

Just now, 4petesake said:

Nah, he’ll probably announce his selection  on an hour long extravaganza hosted by ESPN like LeBron.

I have a lot of respect for Lebron the player and person.  But that was a craperolla move on his part.  

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Call me old skool, but I'm against 'promising' guys anything other than a fair shot to earn a spot. 

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

I tend to lean old school as well, but I don't mind this too much given that there is a pretty easy spot to slot him in to. If he stinks, you know Bruce will do what he has to and bench him if need be. 

Usually I agree on the old school for sure. On this one I think we can offer him a shot just because we need some good value contracts in a bad way. Also if he works out he could be traded at the deadline ... couldn't he? And as you say ... if we give him a shot and he sucks he could be benched or sent to the minors. I mean if he sucks what's he going to do, go back to Russia? lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Usually I agree on the old school for sure. On this one I think we can offer him a shot just because we need some good value contracts in a bad way. Also if he works out he could be traded at the deadline ... couldn't he? And as you say ... if we give him a shot and he sucks he could be benched or sent to the minors. I mean if he sucks what's he going to do, go back to Russia? lol

I kind of feel the same way in this situation. 

Although, maybe it’s more about wording. So, instead of promising, maybe it’s saying we see you playing / really helping in such and such role. Really playing it up / selling it, but not promising. So, it still sells him on it, but if things aren’t working as they thought and have to adjust, they’re not breaking any promises. 

I guess it comes down to a really good sales person / sales pitch. Some people / teams are good at it, some aren’t and need to start doing things like making promises they might not be able to keep just to lure the player. 

If that makes sense. 

• Cheers 2