The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

32 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Bear made everyone around him play better lmao . Wow.. such a short mind on this site.. for some. Just wow. So he made Hughes better? Okay.. yeah I'll let that sit a bit haha. Wow. 

Bear is a perfect example of the old way of thinking that just being "OK" is "OK". If we want to be "middle of the road" then Bear suffices, but if we want to take that next step, we have to strive to be better. 

I see Bear as being adequate for the regular season but will become less useful in the playoffs. 

I thought the goal was to build a championship team, no?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

I thought Poolman was better than Bear, and by a long ways. If only he could stay healthy.

The few times we actually had Poolman healthy I thought he looked pretty good as well. It's definitely too bad he was never able to get a solid stretch of healthy games together.

1 hour ago, Diamonds said:

The few times we actually had Poolman healthy I thought he looked pretty good as well. It's definitely too bad he was never able to get a solid stretch of healthy games together.

As sad as that is. What an amazing bit of luck for him and his family to have signed a 4 year deal as a UFA after only 120 nhl games played. Had he signed a 1 year deal and then got hurt he would be out 7.5 million.

If he never plays another game he will have made over 12 million dollars. That's 6.07 million per 82 games!

• Tanks a lot 1

2 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Highschool crush at its finest. The payroll is the only factor here. Get over it.

1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

I thought Poolman was better than Bear, and by a long ways. If only he could stay healthy.

Corsi without Bear
Corsi with Bear
Expected Goals without Bear
Expected Goals with Bear
Scoring Chances without Bear
Scoring Chances with Bear
Hughes
52.46%
55.82%
47.10%
52.10%
52.40%
55.88%
Ekman-Larsson
46.22%
49.37%
46.10%
49.82%
46.10%
46.92%
Myers
44.50%
49.21%
45.56%
64.46%
43.69%
48.53%

4 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Corsi without Bear
Corsi with Bear
Expected Goals with Bear
Hughes
52.46%
55.82%
47.10%
52.10%
52.40%
55.88%
Ekman-Larsson
46.22%
49.37%
46.10%
49.82%
46.10%
46.92%
Myers
44.50%
49.21%
45.56%
64.46%
43.69%
48.53%

For Hughes sake you are basically looking at Hughes with Schenn/Juulsen vs Bear. You would hope that his offense would be much better with the latter.

Bear was clearly a better option than what we had... but that's not saying much.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Corsi without Bear
Corsi with Bear
Expected Goals with Bear
Hughes
52.46%
55.82%
47.10%
52.10%
52.40%
55.88%
Ekman-Larsson
46.22%
49.37%
46.10%
49.82%
46.10%
46.92%
Myers
44.50%
49.21%
45.56%
64.46%
43.69%
48.53%

The stats definitely support Bear’s strength as a positive complimentary partner. From the eye test, what stood out to me were his zone exits. He consistently got the puck off his stick quickly (usually with a quick fake to create space), which would help explain why his pairings had better stats.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, coryberg said:

For Hughes sake you are basically looking at Hughes with Schenn/Juulsen vs Bear. You would hope that his offense would be much better with the latter.

Bear was clearly a better option than what we had... but that's not saying much.

Clearly better than Schenn?  Not sure about that.  Small sample size for one.  And small body too.   Not going to agree with that.   Neither do the hockey people who just signed Schenn for 3 years while Bear doesn't have a contract.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, coryberg said:

That's what I see.

Bear played his role and was better then the rest but end of the day he at best was a third pair D man.

3 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

That's what I see.

Bear played his role and was better then the rest but end of the day he at best was a third pair D man.

No one is really arguing otherwise, I would welcome him back as a 6/7 option around 1.5 or less anything above I'd look elsewhere.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Clearly better than Schenn?  Not sure about that.  Small sample size for one.  And small body too.   Not going to agree with that.   Neither do the hockey people who just signed Schenn for 3 years while Bear doesn't have a contract.  

Offensively? Definitely! 

Bear injured himself at the world's and will miss the first part of the season. Try to keep up.

Edited by coryberg

36 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Offensively? Definitely! 

Bear injured himself at the world's and will miss the first part of the season. Try to keep up.

Lol.  I'm well aware.  Schenn at the same age got a great contract.   And Keefe called expected a hard nosed winner/leader that would hit, instead got a 2/3 best defender.  Try and keep up.    Bear is interesting.  I would have preferred to signed Schenn though.   We don't need another small D.   QHs and Bear (CAR leftovers) isn't a winning pair.   Neither is QHs Schenn, but one is better than the other. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

I hope we hold onto Myers, give him a more limited role now behind Hronek and then flip him at the deadline regardless of playoffs and play our prospects more.

McWard , Woo and Johansson should all receive extended looks at the next level next year

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Lol.  I'm well aware.  Schenn at the same age got a great contract.   And Keefe called expected a hard nosed winner/leader that would hit, instead got a 2/3 best defender.  Try and keep up.    Bear is interesting.  I would have preferred to signed Schenn though.   We don't need another small D.   QHs and Bear (CAR leftovers) isn't a winning pair.   Neither is QHs Schenn, but one is better than the other. 

Very well said, If Hronek and Hughes both went down, then I could see Bear as an interim replacement, but he is not an answer to our top 4 and he would only be a bottom pairing if we had no one else. He would be expensive for that bottom pairing so in no way is he a good fit here.

He became redundant when we acquired Hronek.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

I hope we hold onto Myers, give him a more limited role now behind Hronek and then flip him at the deadline regardless of playoffs and play our prospects more.

McWard , Woo and Johansson should all receive extended looks at the next level next year

I agree, we need spots for our prospects and we don't need to keep filling those spots with Free Agents. Get our top 4 in order and let the kids fight for the last spots on the roster.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

Very well said, If Hronek and Hughes both went down, then I could see Bear as an interim replacement, but he is not an answer to our top 4 and he would only be a bottom pairing if we had no one else. He would be expensive for that bottom pairing so in no way is he a good fit here.

He became redundant when we acquired Hronek.

Just completely different than what the team needs. He's a smaller 6/7 defenceman looking for money and stability/fit. We have neither, and far bigger concerns to address. Again, if he wants to sign for league minimum and fight for a spot great but otherwise ... no chance. We just addressed our defence the last thing we should be worrying about is how to give this guy a job and a bunch of money.

• Upvote 2

Grain of salt:

: "I think Tyler Myers is going to get dealt...I believe that bonus was paid this week, based on the info I have. If it hasn't...the Canucks can opt to pay it early so they can facilitate a trade. That is an option."

https://twitter.com/sekeresandprice/status/1677446220384710656?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

Edited by 5nothincanucksohno
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

I never knew that was an option. Teams can pay bonuses early? 

Please let this be true and Myers be gone!

This would be interesting. But get ready for Dumba to take his place. That's what my Spidy senses are telling me.

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

This would be interesting. But get ready for Dumba to take his place. That's what my Spidy senses are telling me.

I hope not. So many here saying he is overrated. Rather have a cheap a Hirose take his spot and use the Cap for a good trade

• Upvote 1