The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks Management are done team assessment, Demko, Hughes, Pettersson only untouchables

2 minutes ago, khay said:

Agree to disagree on Bo. I hope I'm wrong on him -- that this is just a down year for him.

Regarding Petey's FO% vs McDavid's... it's all about continuity. McDavid is a center and taking the next faceoff whether he won the previous one or not and no matter the game situation.

Petey's been moved around, Bo's wing, Miller's wing, Miller taking faceoffs for him, etc etc. He needs to continue to get the opportunity to work on it to improve.

Bo is a straight line player and not good at keeping the plays going. EP needs a player like Podz who can make plays. 

Khay!

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Not sure what VAN would get back in trades, but this is where I envision some players going:

Horvat - PHI

Boeser - NJ

Pearson - BOS

Myers - CBJ

Cool.

Did that grand vision come in your dream? Or maybe you saw that in your cereal? Some see Jesus in their Corn Pops…

Edited by Me_
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, khay said:

Regarding Petey's FO% vs McDavid's... it's all about continuity. McDavid is a center and taking the next faceoff whether he won the previous one or not and no matter the game situation.

Interesting that Pete was a winger in the SHL, and now under 2 NHL coaches he's had to have a C prop him up. I love me some Petey but to those saying trade Bo trade Miller and simultaneously have Pete penciled in the 1C slot  I'm highly doubtful he can handle the assignment. 

Realistically on a championship caliber team Petes a winger and a very good one who can play C in a pinch. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, hammertime said:

Interesting that Pete was a winger in the SHL, and now under 2 NHL coaches he's had to have a C prop him up. I love me some Petey but to those saying trade Bo trade Miller and simultaneously have Pete penciled in the 1C slot  I'm highly doubtful he can handle the assignment. 

Realistically on a championship caliber team Petes a winger and a very good one who can play C in a pinch. 

I understand your viewpoint but wingers have moved to C successfully before.

I think Linden was a winger at one point but moved to a C? Maybe Kesler was too (this one I'm not sure).

Petey's defensive IQ is the best among the forwards. He reads the play so well, cuts off the passes, taking passing lanes away. It would be a shame if he doesn't make it as a center.

I agree with you that we should not trade both Bo and Miller. Just one. We can't create two holes down the middle. One, we can hopefully replace through the draft/trade.

At the end of the day, I'm happy with either EP-Bo or EP-Miller but have a slight preference towards EP-Miller if Miller re-signs to a reasonable deal. Bo is fine, he's a playoff performer. But I would like to see him reinvent his game a little, either add a bit of a hard nosed style of play (Linden/Smyl) or even a bit of a feisty style like Kesler. 

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Benning says he always saw Pettersson as a C - wants him with the puck and believes he'll have it more playing C.  

• Cheers 2

On 3/1/2022 at 2:31 PM, BCNate said:

Every team dreams of having an elite young  #1G, #1D, #1C to build around, so I don't think they were ever on the table.  

I think that there are a few guys that are off the table, but would be moved for a huge package.

To me, the news is that they have completed their due diligence period, and we can probably expect some deals pretty soon.

This is good. Since they have taken over, our team has had a really good record. One of the tops in the league. 

Demko has hidden a lot of the flaws so hopefully we get good value on our guys. 

What are we, 18-8-4 under Bruce? I don't think we have a particularly bad team or any rush to trade players. We just needed a proper NHL coach this whole time.

Here's an idea - no big trades, re-sign the key RFAs, flip the useless veterans (Halak, Dickinson, Poolman if possible), sign a UFA defenceman with Luongo's 3M cap off the books and see what that team can do with a full training camp.

I certainly don't think we should blow it up, but moreso I'd rather be patient with Brock, Bo and especially Miller and I bet they'll all be even better next season as will the team.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Just now, DownUndaCanuck said:

What are we, 18-8-4 under Bruce? I don't think we have a particularly bad team or any rush to trade players. We just needed a proper NHL coach this whole time.

Here's an idea - no big trades, re-sign the key RFAs, flip the useless veterans (Halak, Dickinson, Poolman if possible), sign a UFA defenceman with Luongo's 3M cap off the books and see what that team can do with a full training camp.

I certainly don't think we should blow it up, but moreso I'd rather be patient with Brock, Bo and especially Miller and I bet they'll all be even better next season as will the team.

Then JR can come out and publicly endorse Jim Benning while he's at it. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Miller is the Canucks' best player. Miller is also the one who should be traded. He's not going to be their best player at the time that this team is ready to compete for a cup. 

Just when exactly is our window to compete for the cup?

We have to reevaluate our intended window, especially if management is looking to trade 90% of the team. 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 3:31 PM, BCNate said:

Every team dreams of having an elite young  #1G, #1D, #1C to build around, so I don't think they were ever on the table.  

I think that there are a few guys that are off the table, but would be moved for a huge package.

To me, the news is that they have completed their due diligence period, and we can probably expect some deals pretty soon.

Pettersson still has to prove that he’s a #1 C. 

In today's NHL, that’s being close to PPG over 82 games. 

2 hours ago, khay said:

I understand your viewpoint but wingers have moved to C successfully before.

I think Linden was a winger at one point but moved to a C? Maybe Kesler was too (this one I'm not sure).

Petey's defensive IQ is the best among the forwards. He reads the play so well, cuts off the passes, taking passing lanes away. It would be a shame if he doesn't make it as a center.

I agree with you that we should not trade both Bo and Miller. Just one. We can't create two holes down the middle. One, we can hopefully replace through the draft/trade.

At the end of the day, I'm happy with either EP-Bo or EP-Miller but have a slight preference towards EP-Miller if Miller re-signs to a reasonable deal. Bo is fine, he's a playoff performer. But I would like to see him reinvent his game a little, either add a bit of a hard nosed style of play (Linden/Smyl) or even a bit of a feisty style like Kesler. 

Yes Linden was originally drafted as a right winger and actually began his pro career there. He was eventually converted to center because the Canucks had both Joel Otto (Calgary) and Mark Messier (Edmonton) in their division and they needed someone to match up against them. I think the original plan was to have Rob Murphy play that match up role but unfortunately he never really turned into an NHL player...

• Upvote 1

I'm getting the feeling that they won't be trading Miller this TDL, and maybe not in the offseason either. Could be the 2023 TDL or maybe they re-sign him. And maybe management will make a decision next year - Bo or JT?

If Boeser signs 5 x $6, then maybe keep him, but he'll probably want quite a bit more. So, I say trade him for a RD.  

I like Garland, he has a lot of skill, but it's either him or Hoglander IMO.  Canucks got to be thinking of the speed and physicality of the demanding playoffs. I think Hoglander would fare better in the post season.  Trade Garland for a 1st+ 

So we are rebuilding?? People here like to overvalue our players and think we will get this and that if we trade so and so.. boeser will get u a rhd and a 1st? Who's going to give you that with uncertainty of boeser contract situation? Boeser have 2 years of rfa left not 1 so anyone that thinks he will sign a cheap long term instead of taking the QO is in for a surprise. His 1st year doesn't count as a year service time in the nhl only counted towards burning a year off his elc and he's not 27 by july 1st next year so he's still a rfa for 1 more year. What's horvat going to get u? 1st b prospect and a fringe player? Horvat is not going anywhere unless Miller is already signed to an extension. Highly unlikely Miller signs an extension over the summer or before the next TDL even if he decides to re-sign.. but most likely won't if boeser and horvat is traded as the return for those players ain't going to make this a playoff of cup contender anytime soon

37 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Pettersson still has to prove that he’s a #1 C. 

In today's NHL, that’s being close to PPG over 82 games. 

There are currently 14 PPG centres this year.  I think your threshold is too high.

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

sign a UFA defenceman with Luongo's 3M cap off the books 

Unfortunately we will have 3.15M in other goalie dead cap (1.9m for Holtby and 1.25m for Halak), 3.65M total with JV's buyout :sadno:

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Me_ said:

The major problem with Horvat is that he’s a super playoff performer. It’s very hard to trade such a wonderful player. 

I keep hearing this latey, that Bo shows up when games matter. Well, they've mattered for a while, so where is playoff Horvat when we need him most to get into the playoffs?

• Thanks 1