The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks Management are done team assessment, Demko, Hughes, Pettersson only untouchables

40 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Probably not smart to spend around 6 mill on your third line center in a cap world unless you luck out and manage to sign a few value top 6 wingers, which is difficult to do.

Likely have to choose between spending around 8 mill on Miller or 6 mill on Horvat for the second line center spot.

3rd line center? The guy that averages almost 20 mins a night and plays both PP and PK and is one of the best faceoff men in the league?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

If Miller wants a max contract, term and money 8x9mill say, he will be gone. I would move him before Bo anyway. Something like Miller, Poolman, Schenn for Carlo, Debrusk(signed to decent contract) and Studnicka/Beecher as a base. A lot of people are wanting Schneider, I would rather someone a little older to play with Hughes. Boeser and Pearson are gone as well with their skating. Motte, Chiasson, Halak and one of Myers or Hamonic for picks. 

22 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

3rd line center? The guy that averages almost 20 mins a night and plays both PP and PK and is one of the best faceoff men in the league?

Not saying he's a third line center, if you keep Petey, Miller and Horvat, then Bo would be the 3C and thus you're paying your third line center 6 mill (assuming that's what his next contract will be around).

I wouldn't add PK to his resume yet as he's not great defensively and has recently been used more on the PK. Let's see how he does in that role.

Edited by MrCanuck94

14 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Not saying he's a third line center, if you keep Petey, Miller and Horvat, then Bo would be the 3C and thus you're paying your third line center 6 mill (assuming that's what his next contract will be around).

I wouldn't add PK to his resume yet as he's not great defensively and has recently been used more on the PK. Let's see how he does in that role.

Much easier to put a center on the wing than to shift a winger to center. Not super convinced that Petey is a true center man in the NHL, but if so, then a more sheltered one as a "3C" is more likely it while he gets loaded up with say Miller or Horvat in offensive situations. So I'd prefer to keep all three of Petey, Miller and Bo instead of having expensive wingers, so we should be looking for budget or good value wingers regardless.

Don't forget that Bo had 10 goals in 17 games in our last playoff drive. He steps up in the playoffs and that's someone that you want if playoffs are the goal.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I'm still skeptical if Pettersson is a true full time centerman, but I agree that those would be who I'd be building around. I just don't understand those that are saying we need to trade Bo to keep Miller or whatever.

Petey has looked fine at centre recently. He just needs some legit wingers. Chiasson and Hogs ain’t going to cut it. Not sure what CDC strange obsession with Bo vs. Miller recently. If anyone needs to go, unfortunately it’s Brock. His shot is gone. Not worth the QO.

Edited by J-23

7 hours ago, JamesB said:

Thanks to the OP for posting this tread. But I would say that the suggested returns are too optimistic, as is often the case with hometown assessments. Here are some specific responses.

Halak- Future considerations

Halak has a no-movement clause. He cannot be traded without his consent and he is no  hurry to go anywhere. More importantly, I think that no team would take Halak. Given his recent performance he is worse than a replacement-level goalie that most teams have in their system or could acquire easily, without taking on Halak's contract that comes with a significant penalty in the form of a bonus. The Canucks would have retain his bonus giving them even more dead money for next year. Even then, I don't think the Canucks give him away. They would have to pay to get someone to take him. 

Motte- 2nd, or 3rd and B prospect ( I bet he signs back as a UFA)

Motte is playing well and is a good bottom six forward. As a pure rental a guy like that usually gets traded  for a third round pick OR a b prospect, not both. (Remember Hansen and Burroughs for both traded for B prospects and they were better than Motte.) Motte could be part of a package. 

Chiasson- Late pick.

Chiasson was signed after a PTO and is a replacement level player. Any team in the league could have signed him as a UFA last summer and no-one. I don't how his play this year has raised his value. He is okay as a replacement level player,  but that is about it. Almost every team has guys like him in their system. I wouldn't rule out a 6th or 7th round pick, but I doubt if he has any trade value. .  

Boeser- 1st and RHD prospect

I like Boeser and he is a good player, But his qualifying offer is significantly higher than his value which severely limits his trade value. If the Canucks get a first for him I think they would be happy. If he was on a reasonable contract he would be worth more. Yes, Toffoli generated a first plus more, but he is on a good contract for two more years. 

Prior to Draft:

Horvat- 1st and top prospect

Not likely. A first OR a top prospect maybe. Maybe a first and a b prospect, but no way team is giving up two high grade assets for Horvat. Horvat is good but not that good.   

Myers- 2nd and prospect

Not far off. Myers has been playing well under Boudreau which has raised his trade value. Before that I would say he was untradeable unless the Canucks retained salary. At present I think he might be worth a second round pick and a prospect -- but not a great prospect. 

One general theme here is that one reason the Canucks have not been able to do anything meaningful as deadline sellers in the recent past is that Benning has generally overpaid for players (not always, but more often than not) and that makes them hard to trade. Miller of course is on a great contract, but he came in with that contract. And I agree that the Hughes and Demko contracts are very good (not that those guys are going anywhere). 

If the Canucks make the decision to sell I think the likeliest big moves are:

1. Miller would be worth a lot -- a first and a good roster player or a first and a top prospect, may even a first, a good roster player and a B prospect. Or maybe two good young players. I have visions of Miller maybe bundled with Schenn  to NY for Lafreniere and Schneider and maybe a second round pick. 

2. I think Boeser could get a first OR a top prospect OR a good but cheaper roster player and the Canucks need the cap space that his QO would take.  

You could sign Boeser to 4yrs X 6.5 Avg cap hit ..The 1st yr has to be the 7.5 million then average would be say 6.4 -6.8 after 4 yrs he is only 29...

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Something like this is probably exactly what they've decided.  Not saying you have the names right.  But it's simple, only 1 move to make.  Besides this, a couple deals to give us some wiggle room with the cap to take advantage of opportunities as they come up.

I was initially ready to blow it up, but under BB we have looked exceptional. Good record. One of the best teams for GA. Demko gives us a chance to win any game, as long as the team scores at least 3 goals. 

Fill in the blanks with some sold wingers and I think we got a good team. Move out some cap space in Dickinson, Pearson, Boeser. Maybe go after Domi, although it’s unpopular here. Another unpopular opinion but healthy Sutter is effective, a good PK’er. Move Motte up to the 3rd line and put Sutter on the 4th line. Sign a PK’er. Lots of options. Again easier said than done.

Right side defence needs saving though.

Garland - Miller -

- Petey - 

- Bo - Podz

Higmore - Lammy - Motte

Hughes - 

OEL - 

-

Demko

Martin?

Edited by J-23

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

You could sign Boeser to 4yrs X 6.5 Avg cap hit ..The 1st yr has to be the 7.5 million then average would be say 6.4 -6.8 after 4 yrs he is only 29...

His upcoming contract can be structured however they want - there's no such thing as the 1st year needing to be 7.5M because of his QO.  

The QO is a process to retain a players' rights.  It's a 1-year deal that is open for acceptance during a 10 day window or so.  Most of the time players just ignore the QO and negotiate a contract instead.  In the case of Boeser, the QO is so high that there is the risk he elects to sign it - Laine signed his.  

15 minutes ago, mll said:

His upcoming contract can be structured however they want - there's no such thing as the 1st year needing to be 7.5M because of his QO.  

The QO is a process to retain a players' rights.  It's a 1-year deal that is open for acceptance during a 10 day window or so.  Most of the time players just ignore the QO and negotiate a contract instead.  In the case of Boeser, the QO is so high that there is the risk he elects to sign it - Laine signed his.  

well, if Brock signs that 7.5M, then it's basically signaling the end of his time in blue and green.

9 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

well, if Brock signs that 7.5M, then it's basically signaling the end of his time in blue and green.

They can already sign an extension now.  The qualifying offer process is several months aways.  The QOs have to be issued by 11 July this year and the window for acceptance is between 13 and 22 July.  

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, DontMessMe said:

Thats like me saying Jack Roslovic + SEAN KURALY for Boeser. 

Ur not getting Laine. Sorry 

well, 

Brock Boeser : 49 15 15 30 season n-1 : 56 23 26 49

Tanner Pearson : 51 11 14 25 

Jack Roslovic : 51 9 16 25 season n-1 : 48 12 22 34 

Sean Kuraly : 54 8 10 18

Patrik Laine : 35 20 18 38 season n-1 : 45 10 11 21

I don't think we are that far away for Laine, a guy who might change his team 3 times in 4 years. 

6 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

FYI Vegas was paying Stastny that, and TB also was paying close to that with both Miller and Tyler Johnson... So yes you can pay your third line center today with the cap in the 79-81 range other teams have and do.     And if your average out TO Mathews/Tavares/Kerfoot etc they've done it too kind of.    I don't have any issue with spending down the middle, wingers are much easier to find bargain wise then C's. 

5 hours ago, J-23 said:

Petey has looked fine at centre recently. He just needs some legit wingers. Chiasson and Hogs ain’t going to cut it. Not sure what CDC strange obsession with Bo vs. Miller recently. If anyone needs to go, unfortunately it’s Brock. His shot is gone. Not worth the QO.

Sure I agree he's looked "fine", but as "centers" go, I'd have Miller and Bo ahead if him. 

I also agree that Brock probably needs to be moved if he doesn't want to sign a reasonable contract. Which sucks because I really do like Brock and think he's a really good person.

23 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Sure I agree he's looked "fine", but as "centers" go, I'd have Miller and Bo ahead if him. 

I also agree that Brock probably needs to be moved if he doesn't want to sign a reasonable contract. Which sucks because I really do like Brock and think he's a really good person.

On 650 yesterday Drance was saying in his last 20 games Petey has top 10 in the league numbers (driving offence and defensive too) in the league.  Petey is back to playing like a franchise, 200 foot, centre.  Drance said Bo rates out as a very good number two centre.  He said Miller has bad underlying numbers as a centre, but good as a winger.