The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Brock just another version of Pearson?

Rate this topic

Fen1010

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He's our 5th best forward and he has a qualifying offer that would make him our most paid forward.

6M or trade.

I think this was mentioned by Drance. Why would Boeser accept 6M when he can take his QO of 7.5M. Boeser has the leverage here. Other teams know this as well, and may not be interested in trading for him cuz of his QO. 

25 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

So what you are saying is, let Boeser walk to UFA :bigblush:

No I’d be trying to deal him this deadline if he doesn’t want to re-up at a lower number than his QO. If he doesn’t want to re-sign at a lower cap hit and we don’t trade him obviously I don’t let him to walk for free. So I’d sign the QO knowing he won’t play up to that salary. Then if I can’t extend him again for cheaper I try everything to move him at next years trade deadline.

28 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

I think this was mentioned by Drance. Why would Boeser accept 6M when he can take his QO of 7.5M. Boeser has the leverage here. Other teams know this as well, and may not be interested in trading for him cuz of his QO. 

Yes the 6 million is low it would probably have to be 6.5-6.75ish. The QO is a 1 year deal at 7.5 but if he lays another egg like this season his next multi year deal likely won’t be 6.5-6.75 per year. Really a matter of betting on yourself or cashing in early. If I was him and I am averaging these point totals playing on the number 1 PP and getting a good chunk of time with JT Miller and I’m still having a down year I’d like some term on my deal.

• Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Yes the 6 million is low it would probably have to be 6.5-6.75ish. The QO is a 1 year deal at 7.5 but if he lays another egg like this season his next multi year deal likely won’t be 6.5-6.75 per year. Really a matter of betting on yourself or cashing in early. If I was him and I am averaging these point totals playing on the number 1 PP and getting a good chunk of time with JT Miller and I’m still having a down year I’d like some term on my deal.

You also need to rmb GM's tend to overpay on July 1st. So he can just take 2 QO deals and go to UFA. 

50 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

why wouldnt he just take his QO and see if he will bounce back? worse is he signs another QO next year and then walk to ufa.. let say he doesn't and he ends up with 5.5milx6 for 33mil+ the 2 7.5 he gotten that's 48mil.. vs say signing a 7 years at 6.5 and ends up with 45.5 mil small gamble 1 year 2.5mil difference.. say he signs a 3 or 4mil at the end of the 6.5x7.. he ends up only losing 2mil.. 

that's a small gamble for himself i'm sure he can get 5.5milx6 in the open market unless he has a career ending injury.. if he does well next year then he set himself up for the big contract.. if he is more or less the same as this year.. he will definitely still get his 5.5-6mil 

Pearson is not as gifted a goal scorer but offers better value for what he brings relative to his contract.  At the end of the day I'd like to see both of them traded for bigger, stronger, faster wingers.  Speed and skill is what we need.  Size also matters.  

Crouse and Nichushkin are two wingers I'd like to see JR go after...

• Upvote 1

He was red hot previously, something like 20 points 10 goals in 22ish games, but has gone in another mini-slump over the last 5 or so games.

Brock is extremely streaky as many good scorers are but the potential is there. When he's invisible he's crap, but when he's on fire everytime he shoots it seems to go in. He's the kind of player you persist with and don't give up on.

A guy like Virtanen, you give up on - he was drafted high, good in junior but showed us nothing for years. Brock has some elite skills and showed it to us at times - you try and harbor that rather than trade it away because nothing you get back will be worth the potential of Brock in his prime which he is more likely to reach than other players we've had...

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, RWJC said:

He likes big shots and he can not lie.

Alf Iafrate:

80719537_Alfiafratecopy.jpeg.a0d6121acc343a38588dc4b66a9683f0.jpeg

Posted the other night but had to post again because he looked pretty good in his prime...before the booze took control.

Man and look at that "flow" ... at least Alf Ifrafe has hair... unlike poor old Al.    But man could he bang the puck! 

27 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

He was red hot previously, something like 20 points 10 goals in 22ish games, but has gone in another mini-slump over the last 5 or so games.

Brock is extremely streaky as many good scorers are but the potential is there. When he's invisible he's crap, but when he's on fire everytime he shoots it seems to go in. He's the kind of player you persist with and don't give up on.

A guy like Virtanen, you give up on - he was drafted high, good in junior but showed us nothing for years. Brock has some elite skills and showed it to us at times - you try and harbor that rather than trade it away because nothing you get back will be worth the potential of Brock in his prime which he is more likely to reach than other players we've had...

Geoff Courtnall was like that .... painfully unproductive for long stretches - then red hot for 3-5 games ... then meh ... then sh!t trade this bum!  then red hot again...

6 hours ago, teepain said:

We gotta keep this guy for a few more years

In relation to playing time and opportunity he scores less than chaisson.   

Overpaying and overrating average players like brock is what hurts this team from progressing.

Edited by EddieVedder
  • Vintage 1

Both comparably matched as far as skating, defensive play, and offensive output. I say BB is the better shooter, and Pearson the better at puck pursuit. Seems to me Pearson shoots more than BB because of such. Now if only he had softer hands!

BB needs to get himself open more so's to utilize his shot ability. Shots! Shots! Shots! That's the ticket for BB. Sadly......I believe he's the one that'll be moved......Aroo.....

13 hours ago, hammertime said:

Show me the stats to back up your claim.

Whats his battle count. 

First ask for the bottle count before engaging in these discussions. 

7 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

why wouldnt he just take his QO and see if he will bounce back? worse is he signs another QO next year and then walk to ufa.. let say he doesn't and he ends up with 5.5milx6 for 33mil+ the 2 7.5 he gotten that's 48mil.. vs say signing a 7 years at 6.5 and ends up with 45.5 mil small gamble 1 year 2.5mil difference.. say he signs a 3 or 4mil at the end of the 6.5x7.. he ends up only losing 2mil.. 

that's a small gamble for himself i'm sure he can get 5.5milx6 in the open market unless he has a career ending injury.. if he does well next year then he set himself up for the big contract.. if he is more or less the same as this year.. he will definitely still get his 5.5-6mil 

He’s eligible for UFA if he accepts his QO (7yrs of service), after this season. If I were him, I’ll take the guarantee money and job security. 

I think Boeser at the age of 25 should sign a 3-4 year deal at $6-6.5 million. If he broke out and completely light the world on fire, he could still command a big pay day as a UFA at 28/29. I think this is what's best for him and the team. If he isn't willing to sign a contract like this, we should just trade him this off-season.

16 hours ago, Fen1010 said:

No looking for bites, just curious. I don't see anything that special about Brock especially with his next contract due. 

He is a 25-30 goal score..Look at last 5 years GP between 56--69 each year..Boeser 25 is not a fast but a decent goal scorer.. I would trade but we would need a good return. Young RD man under 25 future #3 and draft pick 2nd rounder..

2017-18 -Gp 62 - G 29

2018-19 GP 69 - G 23

2019-20 GP 57--G 16. --  pace between 24

2020-21 GP 56 - G 23

2021-22 GP 49 - G 15 - pace 23-25