The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How do you rate our team after 4000 games played?

Rate this topic

danjr

Well, 50 years, 4000 games played.  I would say I have watched a thousand games, listened to maybe 500 more.  Tough not being in the province I was born in, and catching broadcasts.

In all those years and games, there have been some great memories.

Our Record.
4000GP  1675W  1769L  391T  165OT  75 shoot out wins 12217goals  13079goals against

.488% wins percentage.

Our win percentage is 30th WORST in that time period.
Just because of that single stat I give us a flat out fail.

Fav memory of that 5 decades is winning the first Presidents trophy.  Next is Daniel's goal, from Henrik.  (guess which LOL)

I would love to hear your takeaways from these 4000 games.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Canucks are also one of only 3 teams that lost the Stanley Cup Final after leading 2 games to none.  

As I said in a GDT, this team has been a Jekyll and Hyde team for a long time.

Favourite memory - 1994 Stanley Cup run.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3

At best, out of 32 teams, we probably rank in the high 20's, and I'd probably give us around C grade.

Teams which are better than us: any team which has won the Cup (probably the best objective metric for accomplishment)
Roughly on par with: Florida (we've had more peaks in contention but they're newer and I think their current window could be sustainable; if they win a Cup then they'll be slightly ahead of us IMO); Nashville/ Vegas (read: Florida; VGK is probably ahead given how they've peaked right from the get-go); Ottawa/ San Jose/ Winnipeg (similar to Florida minus the contention window portion)
We're better than: Arizona, Buffalo, Columbus, Minnesota (marginally; Kaprizov's arrival kicked off their current window but before that they were mediocre), Seattle (almost by default, expansion teams don't start off competent unless you're Vegas)

Homer bias aside, it's tough to rank us very high when the teams we're better than/ on par with are either budding expansion teams or teams with bad management or cheap ownership.  Anaheim, Calgary, Carolina, Colorado, Edmonton, Jersey, the Islanders, Tampa and Washington all came into the League after us but already won championships (it's not to say that they're perfect in asset management but the pieces came together and the organization was competent enough to bring home a title).

Edited by Phil_314

4 hours ago, danjr said:

Our Record.
4000GP  1675W  1769L  391T  165OT  75 shoot out wins 12217goals  13079goals against

.488% wins percentage.

Fav memory of that 5 decades is winning the first Presidents trophy.  Next is Daniel's goal, from Henrik.  (guess which LOL)

The winning percentage stat doesn't hold.  There are a half dozen teams that have pretty much their entire existence with three point games where it's virtually impossible to finish below .500 for the season.  There needs to be some kind of standardization factor before throwing around relative winning percentage comparisons.

Also, the Canucks spent much of their existence in the Smythe with both Edmonton and Calgary, two of the three best teams in the NHL probably for that stretch, just getting hammered for a significant part of the season by those two teams year after year.  This hurt their winning percentage relative to other teams, even in the two point game era.

All of that said, 50 years and no Cups is not very impressive.

The best memories are easily the 1982, 1994 and 2011 finals.  The Presidents Trophies were certainly nice but nothing compares to deep playoff runs.

Bure's appearance was a lot of fun and, I think, his Calder was the first actual trophy for a Canuck.  He was also the first 50 goal scorer and 100 point player (over 20 years into the Canucks existence) where most teams had seen at least a 120 or 130 point player many years back in their history by then.

What else...  Garrett's all star game, Brodeur's song during the 1982 Cup run, the Canuckmobile, Linden almost winning fastest skater at the all star game, McLean's save against Reichel in 1994, Bure's goal against Vernon in 1994, Stan Smyl's breakaway against Vernon in 1989, Stan Smyl keeping his cool after getting slashed in the face by Billy Smith and bleeding in the last game of the 1982 final so as to not put his team down when they couldn't afford it, Gino Odjick taking on the entire Blues team, Linden hitting Jeff Norton through the glass, Burrows slaying the dragon in 2011, Gino Odjick's 16 goal season, Ronning's playoff OT goal against the Kings in 91 or 92, in fact entire sudden ascension of the Lifeline immediately after trade to acquire Ronning and Courtnall, the comeback from down 3-1 in the series to the Jets in the early 90s, Jeff Cowan's scoring streak with bra included, vote for Rory, Trevor Linden's six point game, Dave Babych's hat trick.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, danjr said:

Well, 50 years, 4000 games played.  I would say I have watched a thousand games, listened to maybe 500 more.  Tough not being in the province I was born in, and catching broadcasts.

In all those years and games, there have been some great memories.

Our Record.

.488% wins percentage.

Calgary.

34 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I also remember reading before that something like only 3 teams have won the Stanley Cup without a top 3 pick (our time would have been 2011) ;(

Odds against us in that sense

We had Hank and Dank on that team, so we still would’ve had top 3 picks on the squad.

After 52 years

- Under 0.500 record

- 3 trips to the SCF

- Zero Cups

- Zero 1st overall draft picks

Pretty sad, but hopefully they're finally doing it right by hiring a veteran president and bringing in quality people to manage. They have a real good coach as well. I hate to say the future is bright, because I've been saying that for years and years, but maybe it really is now.

I'd give the Canucks a C-

• Vintage 1

We are a very average team say between 78--84 points..

We have some great foundations, top 10 goalie Demko 26 good for another 7-- 9 years, Hughes 21 great mobile D man every team needs, Petey 22, #1 centre to build around.. You can add Horva 26, Podkolzin 20, Hoglander 21.. We also have Boeser 25 and Garland 26..

We have a very talented player sun Miller 28, 6'1, 215, W/C.. If we move miller before trade deadline are future will be much brighter with a young RD under 24, another prospect that can play under 25, 1st or 2nd round pick and say a top minor league prospect under 25...

We must make this trade as we would never beat, Calgary, Colorado, Vegas in a 7 game series now..

Example of trade..

NYR- Schneider 20, 6'2 RD, Chytil 6'2-C, Getting 6'5 W, 2nd pick. = A trade--- NYR  Miller-- Motte

B trade..Lundkvist 21, 5'11 RD -- Kravtsov 22, 6'2 W -- 1st rounder--- NYR-- Miller , 4th 2023

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

Canucks are also one of only 3 teams that lost the Stanley Cup Final after leading 2 games to none.  

As I said in a GDT, this team has been a Jekyll and Hyde team for a long time.

Favourite memory - 1994 Stanley Cup run.

I think going up 2-0 in 2011 and losing it all is also a dubious distinction. I know Detroit also suffered that but at least they already won the cup 

I remember someone mentioning statistically going up 2-0 in the finals ensures like a 80+% of winning the series.

Edit if this probably actually had merit. Canucks had better odds not to drop in the draft lotteries than losing the finals at 2011 :lol:

Conclusion I think the hockey gods just hates the Canucks

Edited by iinatcc
  • Vintage 1