The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Toronto Maple Leafs | Mar. 05, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, Jaimito said:

This was from Fri 

Click bait headline, but Bruce interview was nice. 

He said nux don't have any superstar yet.

He kind of implied that youth is a factor in the big swings in performance from game to game. 

"If you wake up tomorrow and 3 of your vets have been traded, will you say one word about it?"  

Bruce "it will be a four letter word"

What a funny guy.   

Demko "the best young goalie i've had" 

Miller/Team "haven't talked about a trade one word" 

Hughes "he's going to be a superstar if he's not there yet" 

EP "was thinking about using his name too what i talked about Hughes....he could get there too"   (paraphrasing)

Cup " best teams don't always win the cup ... it takes luck as you know Nick in 94, a lot of things have to fall into place" (paraphrasing)  

7 hours ago, RWJC said:

Hey @Alflives you might also enjoy this…

Canucks' Thatcher Demko recalls being roasted by Patrick Roy: 'What the f– is wrong with you?'

Back in 2014, current Vancouver Canucks goaltender Thatcher Demko was very excited to speak to one of his idols in Patrick Roy when he met with the Colorado Avalanche at the NHL combine. Unfortunately for Demko, the meeting didn’t go as he had hoped.

In a recent episode of the Spittin’ Chiclets podcast, Demko explained that Roy instantly ripped him for his “Dancing Demko” antics, which he used to pull when he played for Boston College.

“When I was in college, it’s something I did to keep myself in a good frame of mind during the game,” Demko said. “I used to be pretty hard on myself. In between whistles, they played tunes and dancing kept it light for me.”

While some may understand his reasoning, Roy apparently didn’t. In fact, he made it clear he had zero time for it, and didn’t seem overly interested in his team selecting Demko because of it.

“He laid into me for this ‘Dancing Demko’ thing,” Demko explained. “I grew up idolizing this guy. I can’t wait to see what this guy is like. And the first thing that comes out of his mouth was: ‘What the f— is wrong with you?’ I was like, ah, this is not going how I hoped it would go. I’m just a young, scared kid.

“I see you out there, dancing around like you don’t give a s—. How are we supposed to draft you?" Roy added, per Demko. "It seems like you're out there just having a good time. We need a guy that's willing to do whatever it takes to win."

Demko went on to admit he understood where Roy was coming from, but nonetheless it was a disappointing conversation with one of his biggest role models. As things turned out, the Avalanche chose to pass on the now-26-year-old netminder, and he was selected by the Canucks with the 36th overall selection.

He has since become the starting goalie in Vancouver and is enjoying a solid 2021-22 season with a 2.60 goals-against average and .918 save percentage en route to his first all-star nod.

Thank god he danced the night away.... 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, RWJC said:

Which is also Benning’s fatal flaw in extending Green and putting all his eggs in that basket.

FWIW, Benning set us up both to succeed and fail. He gets a lot of flack, and some of it very well deserved, but this team is entirely his product. 
Kudos JB. Wish you well, sir.

Could be Benning was told from FA that he would NOT get to choose another Coach?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Big 7-game home stand, hope they can get at least 10/14 pts.  Keep every game close, get a pt at least and manage your losses. 

You see mistakes here and there, but a strong team is also shaping into place and everyone is contributing on different nights.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Absolutely... It has me remembering the good times during the Sedins and Keslers leadership... The never say die attitude is right there. Sure they get smoked now and again, but the ability to bounce back is there for all to see... 

This was not what why expected during the dark days in November, when it looked like a beaten team...For all the bashing of Benning there is on these boards, Bruce coming in has shown, the team assembled by Benning has it in them to be a play offs team, hopefully they reach it as they'll be coming in smoking hot... 

And yes it is an easy team to like... All in it together, big or small, good or bad... (shown by Miller on the bench after Brocks horrendous pass in front of his own goal)...

and did I mention it, they smoked Toronto...  

Slept like baby :)

You bet.   One thing about the Sedins/Kesler et al - when we were down on or even two goals you didn't worry, that was a pretty awesome era.   Miller has some jam that way .... and like you mentioned a bad game most often was followed by some good ones.    TO's offense is scary good right now, it's always a pleasure to beat them, even better when your considered the underdog.   On that, we by some miracle of hockey god luck (and we surely have a lot of that stored up somewhere in the universe!!) and hard work make the playoffs - nothing would make me happier then playing the ex-Canuck Flame team and beat them.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, sxqhfeh said:

no, he confirmed he wants to play in Vancouver

Is there a quote or link that states this? I listened to his interview on Wednesday on SN650 and he never said anything about resigning in Vancouver. Only said that he is focusing on the here and now, helping this team make the playoffs. Here is the clip https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/peoples-show/hour-2-jt-miller-keeping-his-options-open/

Could you source the confirmation he wants to stay? Would really change people's outlook of wanting to trade him if he is committed to sign here. Cheers

• Like 1

I thought the first intermission was hilarious. 
Hrudey goes on this long tangent about his issues with anxiety and not feeling good enough.  Way to long for a hockey program but then McLean craps all over it by listing all the times that Campbell wasn’t good enough in excruciating detail. 
Absolutely hilarious how out of sync those two were. 

Oh and fun game by the Canucks though they looked like Green’s passive box came back for the second period.  After the initial Bruce bump, we languished around 500 briefly but have picked it back up to the pace needed. I hope we are the ones who knock VGK out of playoffs for the first time. 

17 minutes ago, IBatch said:

You bet.   One thing about the Sedins/Kesler et al - when we were down on or even two goals you didn't worry, that was a pretty awesome era.   Miller has some jam that way .... and like you mentioned a bad game most often was followed by some good ones.    TO's offense is scary good right now, it's always a pleasure to beat them, even better when your considered the underdog.   On that, we by some miracle of hockey god luck (and we surely have a lot of that stored up somewhere in the universe!!) and hard work make the playoffs - nothing would make me happier then playing the ex-Canuck Flame team and beat them.    

You can add me on to that list as well...

Like the vibe around the team just now... 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, RWJC said:

Hey @Alflives you might also enjoy this…

Canucks' Thatcher Demko recalls being roasted by Patrick Roy: 'What the f– is wrong with you?'

Back in 2014, current Vancouver Canucks goaltender Thatcher Demko was very excited to speak to one of his idols in Patrick Roy when he met with the Colorado Avalanche at the NHL combine. Unfortunately for Demko, the meeting didn’t go as he had hoped.

In a recent episode of the Spittin’ Chiclets podcast, Demko explained that Roy instantly ripped him for his “Dancing Demko” antics, which he used to pull when he played for Boston College.

“When I was in college, it’s something I did to keep myself in a good frame of mind during the game,” Demko said. “I used to be pretty hard on myself. In between whistles, they played tunes and dancing kept it light for me.”

While some may understand his reasoning, Roy apparently didn’t. In fact, he made it clear he had zero time for it, and didn’t seem overly interested in his team selecting Demko because of it.

“He laid into me for this ‘Dancing Demko’ thing,” Demko explained. “I grew up idolizing this guy. I can’t wait to see what this guy is like. And the first thing that comes out of his mouth was: ‘What the f— is wrong with you?’ I was like, ah, this is not going how I hoped it would go. I’m just a young, scared kid.

“I see you out there, dancing around like you don’t give a s—. How are we supposed to draft you?" Roy added, per Demko. "It seems like you're out there just having a good time. We need a guy that's willing to do whatever it takes to win."

Demko went on to admit he understood where Roy was coming from, but nonetheless it was a disappointing conversation with one of his biggest role models. As things turned out, the Avalanche chose to pass on the now-26-year-old netminder, and he was selected by the Canucks with the 36th overall selection.

He has since become the starting goalie in Vancouver and is enjoying a solid 2021-22 season with a 2.60 goals-against average and .918 save percentage en route to his first all-star nod.

Demko is way too classy to do this, but if it were me, I would have said, "listen you irrelevant POS wife beating criminal, you mean serious, like this?" and shown him the following three videos:

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

Is there a quote or link that states this? I listened to his interview on Wednesday on SN650 and he never said anything about resigning in Vancouver. Only said that he is focusing on the here and now, helping this team make the playoffs. Here is the clip https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/peoples-show/hour-2-jt-miller-keeping-his-options-open/

Could you source the confirmation he wants to stay? Would really change people's outlook of wanting to trade him if he is committed to sign here. Cheers

When Miller was traded to us he still had a lot of term on his contract.  Did he buy a house here or make any long term investment in our community?  He is not at all invested in our community.  He's a renter.  Temporary.  

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Would people here agree Demko + Miller for Matthews (if he agrees on an extension if the contract expires)?

Why the hell would we do that? We have two better players for less money. Mathew’s scores  goals but wants more cash. Demko wins games. 

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

When Miller was traded to us he still had a lot of term on his contract.  Did he buy a house here or make any long term investment in our community?  He is not at all invested in our community.  He's a renter.  Temporary.  

Although I may agree Alf, I don't see Miller living in a house. He's too prickly. I see him living in a van wrapped in barb wire, lol.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

I look at that team and yes, that's a scary offense, but, not one of those guys are in the picture on rush goals against. They're like the Coilers East! Saying that, if Nylander was available, I would seriously go for him, speed, shot, and passing is right up there. However, if the Canucks could get a solid top 4 right D from a seller, I'll take that in a heartbeat.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He bought marion gaboriks house, didnt you know that?

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, John_Guest said:

We can catch Edmonton. We need Dallas to lose a few games.

Anybody know some good Voodoo hexes?

We will pass Vegas, Oilers, and Kings.  We will finish second in our division.  Don't need to worry about Dallas, unless they make the Conference Final.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Ferlands_Head said:

Gutsy win by the boys. No matter if we make the playoffs or not they’re definitely fun to watch. I love the resilience in this squad previous teams would have rolled over. J.T.Miller is a leader and there’s no way we can replace what he brings night in and night out. He’s the heart of the team and I’d love to see him stay. 

At the very least he won't be traded at the deadline. Bruce just gave him a massive endorsement and management doesn't seem thrilled with the offers being thrown our way.

When he's not moved at the deadline, the level of seethe from some folk will be absolutely glorious :lol:

• Cheers 2