The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Colorado pulling a Tampa - Landeskog out “indefinitely”

Rate this topic

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2315195

Colorado Avalanche captain Gabriel Landeskog will undergo knee surgery Monday and will be out indefinitely, Avalanche head coach Jared Bednar announced Saturday, according to The Athletic's Peter Baugh.

Bednar said the team is "hoping" to have the forward back for the beginning of the playoffs, but his availability won't be clear until after the surgery. The ailment is not ACL-related.

"Hopefully, he'll be available for us for the stretch line, but he's going to miss some time," he said. "It's something going on with his knee that's been bothering him for a while. It was getting worse."

Bednar added that defenseman Samuel Girard will miss four weeks. 

Landeskog, 29, leads all Avalanche skaters with 30 goals in 51 games this season. Girard, 23, ranks third among Colorado blue-liners with 27 points in 56 contests.

Here's how the Avalanche's lineup looked without the duo during Saturday's practice:

Colorado currently leads the NHL with 87 points and sits atop the Central Division with a 41-13-5 record.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Daly: “Another team is taking advantage of the LTIR loophole Gary”

Bettman: “Is it a Canadian team?”

Daly: “No it’s the Avalanche”

Bettman: “Who the hell cares then? We’ll close it once a team like Vancouver tries it.”

Maybe not, we have an old boy with pull in JR running the show now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Bettman: “Who the hell cares then? We’ll close it once a team like Vancouver tries it.”

That doesn't sound like Bettman at all.

He won't merely close the loop hole. He will levy cap penalty to ensure a team like Vancouver don't come anywhere near contending for years for trying to use the loophole.

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 2

43 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We already did that in 2010-11.

• Vintage 4

Avalanche "Anything you can do I can do better! I can do anything better than you!"

Lightning "No you can't!"

Avalance "Yes I can!"

Avalance "Yes I can!"

Avalance "Yes I can! yes I caaaaaaan!"

• Haha 4

Since the 1990's, have been saying this league is being run for the benefit of key US markets.

Usually one is then accused of being a "conspiracy theorist"..that mighty clever catch-all.

Agree with JM^..this case doesn't deserve Elliott Ness, but I still don't trust this league for shyte. Personally getting closer to pulling the ol' plug. Really hate contributing time(that ultra-precious resource) to something that I simply don't trust.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Pears said:

So we put one of our top players on LTIR with a mysterious injury who was magically healthy for game 1 of the playoffs?

Salo was on the LTIR which was the sole reason we were able to keep Bieksa and acquire Higgy and Lapierre, so… If Salo hadn’t gotten injured in the off season, we would have been forced to trade Bieksa.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Since the 1990's, have been saying this league is being run for the benefit of key US markets.

Usually one is then accused of being a "conspiracy theorist"..that mighty clever catch-all.

Agree with JM^..this case doesn't deserve Elliott Ness, but I still don't trust this league for shyte. Personally getting closer to pulling the ol' plug. Really hate contributing time(that ultra-precious resource) to something that I simply don't trust.

There definitely is something dirty going on here. It’s not just bad luck that a Canadian team hasn’t won the Cup in over 2 decades….

As for the Canucks, we saw the one sided reffing and league decisions with our teams in the last 2 Finals. The big ones that I will never forget are:

1994 - Messier delivers a dirty hit at the end of game 6 and breaks Lindens ribs while still being allowed to play in game 7 where he scored the game winning goal

2011 - Rome delivers a half second late hit on Horton and gets a ridiculous suspension for the rest of the playoffs while we were already down a defenceman 

Both Finals also had atrocious reffing that was blatantly set against the Canucks.

Edited by grandmaster
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

Salo was on the LTIR which was the sole reason we were able to keep Bieksa and acquire Higgy and Lapierre, so… If Salo hadn’t gotten injured in the off season, we would have been forced to trade Bieksa.

And didn't Elder get hurt just as Salo was coming back?  or was that a different year?

45 minutes ago, JM_ said:

COL was one of the few contending teams not in LTIR. I think they'd prefer to have Gabe in the lineup, this one doesn't smell fishy to me.

Agreed.  This is not the time to send your captain for surgery if you don't need to.  If it is actual surgery I think you have to say its legit.

4 minutes ago, dm_ranger said:

Agreed.  This is not the time to send your captain for surgery if you don't need to.  If it is actual surgery I think you have to say its legit.

yup, plus Colorao has managed to bank some cap space and don't have a 1st or 2nd rounder so they aren't really in a position for a classic dead line day deal.

I guess they could be looking at moving Byram for a F? if its a UFA the team trading for Byram could easily retain 1/2 and with the ~4.5 mil in cap space they have they wouldn't need to play games with the cap. 

Edited by JM_

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

And penalise them retrospectively...