The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Stays and Who Goes

Rate this topic

Junkyard Dog

Easy enough thread. 

This year we can hold off on any moves. Cap-wise and problem wise going forward you can't keep everybody though. There are problems on this team you need to address moving forward and only certain guys will net you returns that will solve multiple issues.

Even the Avs on their way to the top had to part ways with some quality guys. 

If you keep Miller you are gonna pay Miller what he wants. No doubt about that. He's been playing like a 10M forward atm.

IMO If you keep Miller move both Boeser and Garland. Build around Petey/Miller/Horvat, they are our top 3 forwards. 

Garland and Boeser would net us returns to solve multiple problems(cap and at future at D). You trade Garland/Boeser and get a cheaper young top 9 RW but mainly a younger right defenseman that can help us now and moving forward and/or maybe a blue chip at RD.

Could use another blue chip at forward at that point but Pod/Hog + Klimo/Karlson give us a bit of a cushion of security there. Plus any youngish(and cheaper) top 9 RW(Kapanen) would help. 

This off-season is gonna be real interesting. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog

I think you just can't find a taker for Boeser with his QO looming over him, or at least one that gives you decent value in return.  You try to re-sign him for a 3 year deal at a discount compared with his qualifying offer, maybe $6.5 million.  That gives us time to see if he picks things up and it gives him the chance to become a UFA pretty young.  We "should" be a pretty good team who might even had a pretty deep playoff run by then so it could be more favourable to re-signing guys in that environment.

If Miller is really the player he is showing right now, how do they not re-sign him even knowing it could end up being terrible in a few years?  You can replace a 60-70 point Miller out in free agency and then get to have all the assets you would get for trading him.  You just can't find another 90+ point Miller though, no matter how much cap space you have.

To me that leaves Garland and Myers as the most likely candidates to move in the summer.  Then add in trying to get rid of any of Dickenson, Poolman, and Hamonic.

Unfortunately none of those guys nets us a young top 4 D that is needed for succession planning.  All it does is give us some cap space to address the issue.

To actually address the need for a really good young defenceman, and assuming that Miller agrees to re-sign here for something not obscene... then Horvat is the guy with the most value that you could afford to lose.  He is a really good 2C that a lot of teams would covet.  It would hurt as he just does pretty much everything asked for the team but If Miller stays, and because of Boeser's contract status... I could see Bo being the trade chip.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

It pains me to say as I like Boeser but he and possibly Garland probably needs to go.

Build the team from the net out and strength down the middle.

QH and OEL are good building blocks but the D needs to be better and faster.  Myers probably is moved for youth and cap space.

We have our 4C in Miller, EP, Bo, and Lammy.

We need cheaper wingers that can compliment the team in their given roles.  Faster, scoring, board battles, etc.

We have our franchise goalie in Demko.  Just need a cheap capable back up that can win (or get points) at least half the games played.  Spencer Martin looked good in his limited sample.  

• Upvote 1

I think we keep the following (only considering the regulars):
Centers: Miller, Petey, Horvat, Lammikko (re-sign)

Wingers: Garland, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Pearson, Dickinson (don't sell too low IMO), Highmore (re-sign)

Defense: Hughes, OEL, Schenn, Hamonic, Hunt (re-sign)

Goalies: Demko, Martin (re-sign)

Move: Boeser, Myers, Motte (rumors are that there are suitors for them -- if the pick in the 40's is actually available we should move Motte, same with Boeser if Marino is available from PIT, and Myers to clear cap and if Hamonic is healthy); Halak (might not have as much value currently given performance but contenders still might want him), Poolman (if a team wants a depth RHD who's not that expensive and has some term)

In the keep Miller scenario I don't think Boeser and Garland need to dealt the same year but as ELCs come off and high profile forwards need raises I can't see both of them being a part of the picture long-term.

They both certainly have the value to return pieces we need too long-term.

They've both recently rumored to have had interest on them though so maybe they both can go in quick succession but you'd certainly need a replacement top 9 RW that comes in cheaper and around our age group(Kapanen?). 

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

In the keep Miller scenario I don't think Boeser and Garland need to dealt the same year but as ELCs come off and high profile forwards need raises I can't see both of them being a part of the picture long-term.

They both certainly have the value to return pieces we need too long-term.

They've both recently rumored to have had interest on them though so maybe they both can go in quick succession but you'd certainly need a replacement top 9 RW that comes in cheaper and around our age group(Kapanen?). 

One of Garland or Boeser can be dealt at the deadline for a RHD.  In the summer you can replace one of them with Kuzmenko, who can only sign an entry level contract for one year.  Then you can re-evaluate next year.  Trading Boeser would be selling low, so Garland I think is the best option as he is on a good long term deal.  If Boeser breaks out next year then you have the option to trade him at peak value or move other pieces to sign him long term.

Dickinson, Pearson, Motte, Hamonic and Poolman all should be shopped to see what we can get, or at the very least free up the cap space.  I'd keep Myers around for now as our right side is weak and Myers is our only legit top 4 RHD at the moment.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

One of Garland or Boeser can be dealt at the deadline for a RHD.  In the summer you can replace one of them with Kuzmenko, who can only sign an entry level contract for one year.  Then you can re-evaluate next year.  Trading Boeser would be selling low, so Garland I think is the best option as he is on a good long term deal.  If Boeser breaks out next year then you have the option to trade him at peak value or move other pieces to sign him long term.

Dickinson, Pearson, Motte, Hamonic and Poolman all should be shopped to see what we can get, or at the very least free up the cap space.  I'd keep Myers around for now as our right side is weak and Myers is our only legit top 4 RHD at the moment.

I don't think anything happens this deadline. No playoff team(Like the Pens who are rumored to be interested in Boeser) would trade out a top 4 RD for Boeser or Garland without a replacement lined up(like the off-season with UFA presents).

I think if you allow a team to work a contract before hand that would up Boeser's value to work on a fair hockey trade. There's been rumored interest for him by the Devils/Pens(Garland's been linked to Devils as well).

If we got a younger cheaper top 9 RW back like Kapanen for example it would help long-term. Pod/Hog could breakout too and wingers tend to make the jump early out of the 1st. Deep drafts the next 2 ones(2022 is forward heavy) even with a later pick in the 1st you could end up with a quality player.

I don't think you're trading getting much for Motte, Hamonic or Pearson. They don't warrant a Garland/Boeser return. Not enough to solve anything but cap issues but we need more than that in a trade. Poolman/Dickinson will cost assets to move, nobody will take those two without a sweetener which we can't afford to do. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

If EP/JTM/BH are your three C’s (and arguably your key FWDs), Id like to see wingers that compliment each.

keep developing NH & VP 

TP is a good utility player

If Canucks have to move Garland/Boeser/Dickinson to give their wings a different look/gain cap space/get younger, quicker, tougher, improve D then so be it.

Keep Motto line together obvs, or trade Motte if you have to.  

Know this might not be popular, but wonder if the team is shopping Horvat.   Can't really strip him of the C, but if there plans are to double down on Miller, then it does make some sense.   Sure TO would do the same deal for Horvat that they floated about Miller ... a first, their two best prospects and Kerfoot whom he'd be replacing.   Tough to say. Wouldn't want to lose anyone - this team makes the playoffs that in itself is a success story given our start.     Personally feel they won't pull the trigger on a major deal until the season is over.  

Been questioning this before, and I'll do it again.

See a lot of trade proposals with Myers and Hamonic for Cap space and a Young RHD... Our Achilles heel is our D mainly, so if we go down this road we won't improve our D for the next few years until the young D-men find their feet? And if so, what's the point of holding on to Miller and Bo? Most people seem to expect Miller to keep this level another 2-3 years and the start to decline... 

I would argue we need to keep Myers at least another year, and then if we are not in the hunt use him as a trade chip at the next tdl, thus giving new players time to settle... 

in 2 years Myers contract s up, and I just don't see the advantage of robbing Peter to pay Paul? (making d worse in the short/medium term to pay Miller?)

There is zero doubt that quite a few of the players names are shopped, to see if they can make any deals...

I would actually not be surprised, if the reason QH was played with Hamonic, was to see if they could use Schenn in a trade without upsetting the defence too much (big fail)...

I have a feeling, that as much as Alwyn (JRs)fingers are itching to pull the trigger on more than a few deal, the good play by the team, are holding them back just now.

Will definitely be interesting to see, which conclusions management comes to...  There is of course also a case to be had for striking, while iron is hot, and we all know where the heat comes from at the moment....

Edited by spook007

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Know this might not be popular, but wonder if the team is shopping Horvat.   Can't really strip him of the C, but if there plans are to double down on Miller, then it does make some sense.   Sure TO would do the same deal for Horvat that they floated about Miller ... a first, their two best prospects and Kerfoot whom he'd be replacing.   Tough to say. Wouldn't want to lose anyone - this team makes the playoffs that in itself is a success story given our start.     Personally feel they won't pull the trigger on a major deal until the season is over.  

Could happen but we would really feel the absence of Horvat's faceoffs.  I think he's gonna be a top ten Selke vote getter within the next few years.  Pretty reasonable contract too if I remember right.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

Straight swap with Miller and S Theodore.

Think of Hughes/Theodore as our D 1,2 punch for ten years forward.

Maybe get some more from Vegas as they should be desperate.

I actually believe we would win over Vegas with Miller if we have Theodore in playoffs.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Straight swap with Miller and S Theodore.

Think of Hughes/Theodore as our D 1,2 punch for ten years forward.

Maybe get some more from Vegas as they should be desperate.

I actually believe we would win over Vegas with Miller if we have Theodore in playoffs.

Pretty sure vegas is keeping their d together.  That is their strength and doubt theyll move theodore. Vegas is set up front too. Their issue is they lost team chemistry and stones out.

Miller is having one of the best individual seasons a player has had as a Canuck for as long as I have been following this team.  He does it all, PK, PP , produces no matter who they put on his line, leads by example.

That said, I think the most impactful move for the long term health of the team is to move him between now and the start of next season.  Unless Boeser and/or Garland can return players that fix the D immediately, I dont see this roster being able to compete with the big guns in the NHL with a 30+ year old miller making north of 9 million in the next few years. 

Trading Miller now can potentially have a similar impact to trading Trevor Linden back in the 90s.  That trade created the backbone of the team for decades.   Linden for Bertuzzi and McCabe plus a pick that turned into Ruutu.  McCabe ended up landing us one of the Sedins, Bertuzzi was flipped for Luongo after forming one of the best lines in Canucks history, who later turned into Markstrom.  Foundational players that spanned 20+ years.

That said the untouchables are Hughes, Demko, Horvat, EP and Podkolzin - anyone else can be traded to improve the roster.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Provost said:

I think you just can't find a taker for Boeser with his QO looming over him, or at least one that gives you decent value in return.  You try to re-sign him for a 3 year deal at a discount compared with his qualifying offer, maybe $6.5 million.  That gives us time to see if he picks things up and it gives him the chance to become a UFA pretty young.  We "should" be a pretty good team who might even had a pretty deep playoff run by then so it could be more favourable to re-signing guys in that environment.

If Miller is really the player he is showing right now, how do they not re-sign him even knowing it could end up being terrible in a few years?  You can replace a 60-70 point Miller out in free agency and then get to have all the assets you would get for trading him.  You just can't find another 90+ point Miller though, no matter how much cap space you have.

To me that leaves Garland and Myers as the most likely candidates to move in the summer.  Then add in trying to get rid of any of Dickenson, Poolman, and Hamonic.

Unfortunately none of those guys nets us a young top 4 D that is needed for succession planning.  All it does is give us some cap space to address the issue.

To actually address the need for a really good young defenceman, and assuming that Miller agrees to re-sign here for something not obscene... then Horvat is the guy with the most value that you could afford to lose.  He is a really good 2C that a lot of teams would covet.  It would hurt as he just does pretty much everything asked for the team but If Miller stays, and because of Boeser's contract status... I could see Bo being the trade chip.

I don't believe Bo is going anywhere, even if a top 4 D was on offer. 

I can see Garland and Motte being the guys moved this week. If we get more than one pick back, maybe we use those to dump DIckie and Poolmam to AZ? 

I'm not that worried about losing Garland, but if Motte is moved because they couldn't reach an extension agreement, we don't really have anyone to take over his 4th line role and it will hurt our playoff chances. 

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Could happen but we would really feel the absence of Horvat's faceoffs.  I think he's gonna be a top ten Selke vote getter within the next few years.  Pretty reasonable contract too if I remember right.

Absolutely - don't want to see either go. Brock is the low hanging fruit.   A little internal competition never hurt anyone either.    Horvats recent display to me isn't a coincidence - these guys are from a generation where they simply can't avoid hearing the outside media noise.   To me right now, the best thing Allvin can do is support them and the season they've had since the changes.     Then review in the off-season...all three of Brock,  Miller and Horvats agents can be in legit contract talks then - and go from there.   Brocks agent should already be in contact and hope it is.   Then make a decision. 

• Vintage 1