The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Detroit Red Wings at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 17, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 hours ago, Muttley said:

In the dot: VAN - 53.3  / DET 46.7

Canucks out hit the Wings 43-35

Other than those no mean nothin stats, we played like garbage.  1-0 loss to the Wings?  With all our firepower? Yuck!

Plenty of blame to go round other then Demko.  Our passes were way bad tonight.  Not hitting their mark on too many occasions.

We could have played a more physical game because the officials made it clear early they weren't going to be calling tight.  

The part of our game that suffered the most on this night was our passing game. We were sloppy and stayed that way till the bitter end.

Pettersson sure played a ton. Seems fine, health wise.

I think you are confused. The Wings out hit the nucks 25 to 18. So much for a hard to play against home identity. They did get many shots though from outside the slot.

13 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Not a good game for us:  run and gun is not our thing.  By the third we sort of got the forecheck going, but that needed to happen from the beginning.  It's almost like we looked at their goals against record and decided to open it up and trade chances rather than play our game.  Defensive zone exits were a problem again, like under Green.  OEL does look hurt or worn down.  But if you can't score, you're not going to win.  We had our chances ...

Our guys have been playing all out from the time BB got here.  Not just a physical toll, but a mental one too.  The first 25 games under Green (terrible record) made it just too difficult to fight for this long and this hard.  We played hard again last night.  Demko was great. These games happen to every team several times each season.  

We will beat Calgary and Buffalo.  

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Jaimito said:

You can tell they were tight in the second too. Lot of simple mistakes, bobbles, misses etc.  You can tell they are trying, but looked off compared to most nights. 

This is playoff chase pressure.  They need to learn how to play with that.  

Wings have no pressure. They are just having fun. 

Yeah it sucks. It looked like the boys wanted the win and effort was there but something was off. 

They bobbled the puck so many times... 

Myers and OEL looked awful at times. 

Their goalie made some big saves early on and took the life away from us while giving Det life. 

Yesterday was an example of what Bruce refers to as woe is me... 

Boys need to learn to fight through it when things aren't going. 

Reminds me of Vegas series game 7 with Demko standing on his head. 

There was a moment when I think Reilly Smith had the funniest expression when Demko made another save like "what the heck can we do to score on this guy?" 

But they kept pushing and eventually got one through Demko. 

Canucks were faced with the same situation yesterday and didn't elevate their game. 

It's during these times they need to score a greasy one by jamming the net and firing pucks while getting in front of their goalie etc. 

Canucks didn't have enough fight last night. Lacked the win at all costs attitude. 

• Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

Hey, I am just Thankful it is JR making decisions and not JB anymore regardless if we make a trade or not.  Happy that gone are the days of winching with one eye closed of what JB was going to saddle the team with again, not to mention over paying them by 25-50% more then their worth.  Player Agents are wandering the streets looking for the next sucker franchise.

I am a huge fan of J.T.’s Leadership abilities, Canucks need two or three guys like him to take over the mood of the room.  But paying him 7-9M potentially a season on a long term term contract…..first couple of years, he will earn it, but seriously risks turning into a OEL contract after.

Do your thing JR

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, T-Bo said:

Hey, I am just Thankful it is JR making decisions and not JB anymore regardless if we make a trade or not.  Happy that gone are the days of winching with one eye closed of what JB was going to saddle the team with again, not to mention over paying them by 25-50% more then their worth.  Player Agents are wandering the streets looking for the next sucker franchise.

I am a huge fan of J.T.’s Leadership abilities, Canucks need two or three guys like him to take over the mood of the room.  But paying him 7-9M potentially a season on a long term term contract…..first couple of years, he will earn it, but seriously risks turning into a OEL contract after.

Do your thing JR

Yeah as erratic and unpredictable Rutherford can be he has gotten results and I would take unpredictable right now over predictable Benning. Like giving up more draft picks during the off-season and carrying that OEL contract for a long time. 

Edited by iinatcc

12 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

I think you are confused. The Wings out hit the nucks 25 to 18. So much for a hard to play against home identity. They did get many shots though from outside the slot.

looks like he got autocorrected from out "shot" to out "hit".

that said, in regards to your correction, it's hard to outhit an opponent when you dominate possession for 2/3 of the game. 

2 minutes ago, T-Bo said:

Do your thing JR

Miller would likely earn a 7 x 8 deal.   That's about it.   And that's with the cap going up five of those years ...  but he's earned whatever the market will give him as well.    1-2 million dollars is a Schenn and a Hunt or whomever ... it's doable but is it the right move?   JB didn't allow the team to bottom out long enough and how many on this site lament the "8 long years"...  a lot do.   It's the price our team was always going to pay after 2000-2014.    Detroit is doing the same thing ... Yzerman choose to re-set their rebuild.    Maybe that's what we need to do right now and pull the plug on the season, and trade both Miller and Brock?   Tank.   And re-set with 2024-2026 in mind ... i don't know either and glad i'm not making those tough decisions.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

That game shows how bad we really are. This team isn't good enough to make the playoffs, we should be sellers.
-way too slow

-too small

-no defense

-panic under pressure

-can't exit zone

-can't clear zone

-not enough size to hit

-predictable on PP

-too many giveaways

-don't get shot off in time

-blow a tire once per shift

• Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

That game shows how bad we really are. This team isn't good enough to make the playoffs, we should be sellers.
-way too slow

-too small

-no defense

-panic under pressure

-can't exit zone

-can't clear zone

-not enough size to hit

-predictable on PP

-too many giveaways

-don't get shot off in time

-blow a tire once per shift

why was this version the real version and not the team from tuesday night?

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Miller would likely earn a 7 x 8 deal.   That's about it.   And that's with the cap going up five of those years ...  but he's earned whatever the market will give him as well.    1-2 million dollars is a Schenn and a Hunt or whomever ... it's doable but is it the right move?   JB didn't allow the team to bottom out long enough and how many on this site lament the "8 long years"...  a lot do.   It's the price our team was always going to pay after 2000-2014.    Detroit is doing the same thing ... Yzerman choose to re-set their rebuild.    Maybe that's what we need to do right now and pull the plug on the season, and trade both Miller and Brock?   Tank.   And re-set with 2024-2026 in mind ... i don't know either and glad i'm not making those tough decisions.

Will our owner allow for that "reset the rebuild" to happen?  I don't think he will.  It should happen, and start with this TDL.  Take a couple steps back now, in order to move ahead a leap in 2-3 years.  I don't think any of our players should be untouchable, if "reset the rebuild" is the philosophy.  

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Our guys have been playing all out from the time BB got here.  Not just a physical toll, but a mental one too.  The first 25 games under Green (terrible record) made it just too difficult to fight for this long and this hard.  We played hard again last night.  Demko was great. These games happen to every team several times each season.  

We will beat Calgary and Buffalo.  

I don’t feel bad for them one bit. If they don’t want to have to play their butts off like this they should then play better from the get go. Slow starts have been the Achilles heal of this team. It’s their fault they have to work so hard. It’s makes me angry seeing how hard they have worked after Boudreau and gotten better. Where was this passion and work ethic from the get go? I just think we lack players that drive play and that take the bull by the horns. I think we would love a team that drives play rather than one that is reactionary. Very frustrating.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, tas said:

looks like he got autocorrected from out "shot" to out "hit".

that said, in regards to your correction, it's hard to outhit an opponent when you dominate possession for 2/3 of the game. 

IDK, I saw many fly-by's. The Nucks don't intimidate anyone this year, especially at home. Need a couple nasty and big forwards for the top 9.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, arsenalian said:

100% It’s funny Petey got a few nice shots off 5v5 but not sure why he’s hesitating and not one-timing those. Used to be almost a guaranteed goal when he’d rip em from there. I like your formation, wish they’d try 

https://canucksarmy.com/2022/03/17/report-canucks-elias-pettersson-dealing-same-wrist-injured-last-year/

Edited by cuporbust
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, T-Bo said:

Do your thing JR

You don’t miss the “we live day by day. We live in today’s world” management? Man it was times like those that had me just shudder and put my face in my palms.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Tyndall2 said:

Does OEL have a no trade contract?  His deal is looking a lot like Ericksson, yikes!  Big money and no results.  And you have all had your say, which I agree with about Boeser!  

OEL's contract itself is by default a full no trade.  

• Cheers 1