The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blackhawks trade Brandon Hagel, 2022 4th-round pick, 2024 4th-round pick to Lightning for Taylor Raddysh, Boris Katchouk, 2023 1st-round pick, 2024 1st-round pick

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Me.

Why?

Name me one ppg player that did his team a solid NOT named Stamkos that was ppg before signing a new contract.

While I wait, I'll reiterate that Miller will not sign here for less than $9 million no matter what you want to believe

why isn't zibanejad a comparable?

4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Now this is interesting...

Wow. So, they are taking "burn the whole barn down and then rebuild" approach... Interesting indeed.

I was hoping Kane would retire in Chicago.

Bet they would unload Toews at 50% retained if someone offered them picks. 

23 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Not going up more then one million for the duration of the current CBA...so still a few years away.    At least that's what Bettman said.   (one million per season). 

Even at $1 million per season that would still be $86 million by 2025.  Should be enough to cover Miller's extension and also Petey's extension.

5 minutes ago, tas said:

why isn't zibanejad a comparable?

He is.  Perfect comparable actually.  I'm okay with Miller at slightly more at $9 million.  #1 centres don't grow on trees.  Petey will be fine as a #2 for now and move into the #1 when Miller is 33-34 years old.  BO is a perfect #3 centre in today's NHL and gives us 3 solid lines.  We just have to go out and get some cheap ELC wingers.  Kuzmenko should be a priority.  Klimovich will hopefully step up in a year or two.  Karlsson looks like a player as well.  And Aidan McDonough is lighting it up.

46 minutes ago, stawns said:

What's your source on that?

Salary cap could go up in 2024-25, just in time for Maple Leafs and Canucks (sportsnet.ca)

The expected salary cap increase for the 2024-25 season could prove to be good timing for the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Vancouver Canucks.

During the annual Board of Governors meeting in Florida earlier this week, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly said that because the league's revenues were trending toward $5 billion, the projected salary cap would go up by $1 million for the 2022-23 season.

In addition, they added that the 2024-25 season could have a further increase, which Sportsnet's Jeff Marek said could be good for two of Canada's big-spending teams.

"Gary Bettman mentioned something interesting as well, he said in three seasons ... the NHL players will have paid off their escrow debt and the salary cap will get a significant bump," Marek said on the 32 Thoughts segment during Hockey Night in Canada. "And that pleased two Canadian teams, specifically the Maple Leafs and the Vancouver Canucks because Auston Matthews' and William Nylander's deals are up then, and for the Vancouver Canucks, for whomever the general manager is, will have a clean slate to work on Elias Pettersson's next contract."

15 minutes ago, khay said:

Wow. So, they are taking "burn the whole barn down and then rebuild" approach... Interesting indeed.

I was hoping Kane would retire in Chicago.

Bet they would unload Toews at 50% retained if someone offered them picks. 

better question is why would anyone want Toews. Wouldnt want him even if Chicago gave us a 1st and 50% retained. 

4 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

They kinda have to, when you're a potential dynasty (Point, Cirelli, Cernak, Sergachev, Vasi are all under 30 and Hedman/ Palat/ Stamkos/ Kucherov are barely above that).

How the hell does a team manage to pay for a list of players like this in the cap era?
Always baffles me. 

What the &^@# are we doing wrong?

Its almost like Tampa’s money is magic. 

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Podkolzin and Höglander are two wingers we are currently developing in the NHL.  Klimovich is another one who is developing very well in the AHL.  Kuzmenko is a UFA and should be our #1 target in the summer.  You can trade Boeser for a 3rd line winger who can play with BO plus add a quality Dman.  Garland you can keep only if you have the cap space.  There are some players coming out of the NCAA as well and in Europe.  Allvin is the GM so I'll let him figure it out.  I never said it would be easy, but it's easier to find cheap quality wingers than it is to find a stud #1 or #2 centre.

none of the guys you have mentioned have shown any consistency or success in a top 6 role. canucks have literally not produced any forward of significance out of their farm in the last decade including those traded.. so i wouldn't hold my breath on klimovich being one. Hoglander is literally playing his way into Boudreau's dog house and if he ends up in the pressbox or traded i wouldn't even be surprised. trading Boeser, trading garland and all you are left with is podz, hogs and pearson as your top 6 wingers.. who are you goign to play with miller next season assuming you are trying to convince him to stay and this is a playoff contender?? none of those 3 are capable of top line minutes.. so u get rid of boeser for a 3rd line winger and dman again who's playing in the top 6 next season? what else do you have to trade for one? start giving away draft picks? there's literally no one on the ufa market coming up that fits the canucks in a top 6 winger role.. and no i don't want max domi for 6mil for his 40-45points a season.

if cheap quality wingers are so easy to find.. why did Tampa give up 2 1st rounder for 1? they should be able to easily find one for much cheaper than 2 1st?

45 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

How the hell does a team manage to pay for a list of players like this in the cap era?
Always baffles me. 

What the &^@# are we doing wrong?

Its almost like Tampa’s money is magic. 

Taxes make a difference.

Guys sign for less in places that have lower taxes.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Salary cap could go up in 2024-25, just in time for Maple Leafs and Canucks (sportsnet.ca)

The expected salary cap increase for the 2024-25 season could prove to be good timing for the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Vancouver Canucks.

During the annual Board of Governors meeting in Florida earlier this week, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly said that because the league's revenues were trending toward $5 billion, the projected salary cap would go up by $1 million for the 2022-23 season.

In addition, they added that the 2024-25 season could have a further increase, which Sportsnet's Jeff Marek said could be good for two of Canada's big-spending teams.

"Gary Bettman mentioned something interesting as well, he said in three seasons ... the NHL players will have paid off their escrow debt and the salary cap will get a significant bump," Marek said on the 32 Thoughts segment during Hockey Night in Canada. "And that pleased two Canadian teams, specifically the Maple Leafs and the Vancouver Canucks because Auston Matthews' and William Nylander's deals are up then, and for the Vancouver Canucks, for whomever the general manager is, will have a clean slate to work on Elias Pettersson's next contract."

That says nothing about $90m salary cap.  It does say there should be a million dollar increase for next year and that's it.  

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

That says nothing about $90m salary cap.  It does say there should be a million dollar increase for next year and that's it.  

are you just glazing over the explicit mentions of a significant bump?

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, stawns said:

It says there will be a “significant bump” in the 2024 season. Enough apparently for Toronto to re-sign Matthews and Nylander. Significant does not mean a $1 million increase. It means many millions along with the already approved $1 million increase next year. 

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It says there will be a “significant bump” in the 2024 season. Enough apparently for Toronto to re-sign Matthews and Nylander. Significant does not mean a $1 million increase. It means many millions along with the already approved $1 million increase next year. 

Speculation, that's it

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Lafreniere makes sense as he's a ready made player who can step into the top 6 and fill some of Miller's scoring that we would lose.  Schneider and Kravtsov wouldn't be doing that.  We would still have a massive hole in the top 6 that can't easily be filled by trading Miller.

I am sure that the Rangers would do a Schneider, Kravtsov and 1str deal to acquire Miller.  Especially with 50% retention.  I am also pretty sure that JR is the one not pulling the trigger and most likely asking for Lafreniere in return.  There was a quote that the ask for Miller was very high when it came to the Rangers.  So this all makes sense.

The Rangers haven't pulled the trigger yet.  Teams around them are loading up.  The Rangers may be waiting for Monday before they do anything.  I am sure Miller is the guy they want.  Will they pony up to get him?  We will see...

Yeah, Laffy would be huge I get what you're saying.

We'll see, I think Tampa making a move might nudge them. If Florida does that might too. They're gonna have to go through one of them at some point.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, stawns said:

Speculation, that's it

According to Jeff Marek the words “significant bump” came from the mouth of Garry Bettman.  So if those words came out of the commissioner’s mouth how exactly is that speculation?  

"Gary Bettman mentioned something interesting as well, he said in three seasons ... the NHL players will have paid off their escrow debt and the salary cap will get a significant bump," Marek said on the 32 Thoughts segment during Hockey Night in Canada.