The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Maple Leafs trade Travis Dermott to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

I figured this would get to a fair number of pages, but I underestimated by forgetting how quickly people like to bicker about crap on here. 31 pages it is, and I'm not going to check if someone's posted this already.

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2022/03/20/analysis-travis-dermott-moved-to-vancouver-to-open-cap-space/

Dermott did play some of his best hockey of the season (when in the lineup) in the past month, but Sandin is able to give the Leafs extra offensive value and a second-unit power-play quarterback, in addition to a higher ceiling at this point given their respective ages and upsides.

Dermott is perfectly adequate in many areas of the game (skating, puck-moving, defending the rush), but now 25 years old, he never really developed a “thing” to hang his hat on in terms of a skill that separates him from a replacement-level defenseman at the NHL level, nor did he ever become a regular on either special team (or produce much offense in general). He became superfluous and a bit of a luxury depth option (at $1.5 million) on this roster with the emergence of Sandin and Liljegren as worthy regular contributors, in addition to the multiple defense adds (Giordano, Ilya Lyubushkin) the team has made in the past month.

Comments on that are things like "wouldn't surprised if his play improves", "wonder if Dubas took less to trade him to a team with a better opportunity", "should have gotten a 2nd", so they don't hate him in Toronto. He's cheaper, younger and faster, so that will help a little but we'll see how he does down the stretch.

1 minute ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Said this in the rumour thread, say it again now - this is a low risk move for someone who can help now (is an upgrade over Hunt), and has a higher ceiling; a player who could improve with a new environment. He grew up a Canucks fan and is stoked to be here it sounds like. He's solid size wise, can play both ends, has decent underlying stats on a D thats been shuffled all year. I hope he can take the next step on the Canucks, and nice that he has a low cap hit next year. Don't understand the hate the acquisition and player are getting in this thread.

It's the Toronto trash thing. But, the trade has really grown on me

Excited to see what Dermott can bring. Hunt shouldn't be a regular. 

• Cheers 2

I'm becoming more ok with this move. Mostly because it's a beginning to fixing the structural failure on D. At least he's a LD and most importantly cheap. Exactly what is needed there with 14mil already tied up there with 43 and OEL. 

A young rd of higher-end quality tomorrow and I would be ecstatic. 

10 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm becoming more ok with this move. Mostly because it's a beginning to fixing the structural failure on D. At least he's a LD and most importantly cheap. Exactly what is needed there with 14mil already tied up there with 43 and OEL. 

A young rd of higher-end quality tomorrow and I would be ecstatic. 

I liked what i read in several articles

1-Dermott had requested a trade at the beginning of this season. Once displaying top-four potential as a defenseman, he has had a hard time to try and vault himself further up into the lineup and separate himself from others. With Rasmus Sandin and Timothy Liljegren finding regular minutes and staying in the lineup, it was hard for Dermott to try and crack the roster and find any meaningful minutes. He’s been a healthy scratch many times this season as he’s only played in 43 games.

It was obvious that Dermott needed a change of scenery. By going to the Canucks, he has more of an opportunity to work his way up into the lineup and reach his true potential as a possible top-four option. He’s great in transition and has a little bit of a bite to his game, while also being able to play either the left or right side. He definitely has an opportunity to thrive in a new system where they can use some more mobility.

2-The Canucks were one of the teams interested in Dermott ahead of the deadline, and he came at a fairly cheap cost. Vancouver had just received its 2022 third-round pick back hours earlier in a trade with the Senators involving Travis Hamonic. The Canucks sent Toronto the Jets' third-round pick, which they had received in the Nate Schmidt trade last offseason. 

The team essentially swapped out Hamonic for Dermott, who is a much younger and better blue liner, and it gets a different third-round pick this season.

3 - “Our pro scouts and analytic department were excited about him and I followed him for a couple of years in Toronto,” said general manager Patrik Allvin, who continues to have daily conversations with president of hockey operations Jim Rutherford, who is battling a positive COVID-19 diagnosis.

“This is the process of getting younger and creating some cap space here. He fits in being a younger defenceman that we have control over the next couple of years and Travis is excited to get to Vancouver for a fresh start and maximize his potential.

“He’s a great character person and has qualities of doing more and I hope we can help him in this environment.”

Also Marc Methlot  had this to say about who we traded to Ottawa (Sounds like this management is correcting the room)

The move for the 31-year-old defenceman with a year left on his contract at $3 million didn’t make much sense to Senators fans, with the team trading away a third-round pick in the midst of their rebuild. On Sunday, Methot took to Twitter to share his thoughts about the deal.

4-“It’s a weird acquisition, for sure,” Methot tweeted. “I honestly haven’t followed the on-ice play of the player in some time. I can say this, I know lots of players. All of them have told me that the new acquisition is a bit of a different bird. Not sure that’s what I’d want around a young core.”

Edited by ba;;isticsports
Added #4
  • Thanks 1

I like this move. I’ve been hoping we’d be able to land Dermott for years now.

Nothing against Hamonic really and I’m kinda sad to see him go. It was just a bizzarre start to the season for him and us. He was playing pretty well in my opinion but I can’t see this being a downgrade by any means. i’m looking forward to having Dermott here and a fresh start for him will be nice.

The added cap space is really a bonus here but we improved on D at the same time.

2 hours ago, Spoosh said:

I like this move. I’ve been hoping we’d be able to land Dermott for years now.

Nothing against Hamonic really and I’m kinda sad to see him go. It was just a bizzarre start to the season for him and us. He was playing pretty well in my opinion but I can’t see this being a downgrade by any means. i’m looking forward to having Dermott here and a fresh start for him will be nice.

The added cap space is really a bonus here but we improved on D at the same time.

With you on this. I know some people didn’t want Dermott but if you break it down to Hamonic for Dermott it’s not a bad trade at all, we get younger and cheaper, and hopefully he can kick on here as well. 

it’s not a stellar trade by any means but it’s an improvement 

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Devron said:

Yeah it’s gonna be a change that way. We will be using way more analytics. In the past we’ve acquired more players based on the old Hefty eye test. Lol seriously though both need to be taken into consideration because nothing is perfect or full proof 

the other noticeable difference is JR made roster room first by moving Hamonic, THEN went out and got a new guy.

I didn't know you could do it that way

/s 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

the other noticeable difference is JR made roster room first by moving Hamonic, THEN went out and got a new guy.

I didn't know you could do it that way

/s 

Wait, so there's a way to do it other than getting the new guy and just hoping that somehow everything works out?

• Haha 1