The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Maple Leafs trade Travis Dermott to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

2 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Not sure you can call this a tidy piece of business until you see how Dermott plays.  Giving up a third and cap space when you have Rathbone rounding into form will be something to watch.

The problem with Rathbone is he's a poor mans Hughes. Not as good offensively and not as good defensively as Hughes. Plus he's a little under sized. How many under sized d-men do you really want? I've viewed him as a future trade piece after seeing how bad he was defensively. He'll help getting a valuable piece down the road.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

That should have always been obvious.

JR pretty much said that’s what they’re doing.

Yeah I don’t recall JR saying we are tearing this thing down. Aquilini wouldn’t allow it anyways. We are retooling on the fly. Flipping a RHD for a LHD. Balances the D out more.  

Not sure we are going to do a blockbuster trade tomorrow to be honest. Maybe a similar type deal to today. Picking up a winger with scoring ability would be nice so Chiasson can stay in the press box. 

If I understand it correctly, if we don't increase our cap hit we now have enough space to pay halaks 1.5 mil bonus this year. Combine that with the 1.5 mil saved on Dermott vs Hamonic and that's 3 mil extra next year .

Don't watch the leafs so I don't know Dermott, but if he can be a steady defensive LD that's a huge upgrade on Hunt.

I'm just laughing at the posters who complained about picks being traded, instead of using it to populate the prospect pool.

Then praise JR who hasn't done anything up (roster wise) up until this point

All the while advocating the trading of said picks.

Makes you wonder if people are just salty about who's the GM, rather than the actual moves themselves.

Just now, King Heffy said:

I don't care how bad his analytics are when he's a terrible hockey player.  Brad Hunt should not be used as a benchmark.

I'm not in the camp that Dermott is a terrible hockey player. Everything Ive seen and read suggests he's more of what we need on the bottom pair, compared to what we had. It's WAY too easy for other teams to gain the zone on us, this is exactly what we need more of: 

image.png.ce354e4415f58f5ac8019123fa9a0f7d.png

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, eeeeergh said:

I'm not in the camp that Dermott is a terrible hockey player. Everything Ive seen and read suggests he's more of what we need on the bottom pair, compared to what we had. It's WAY too easy for other teams to gain the zone on us, this is exactly what we need more of: 

image.png.ce354e4415f58f5ac8019123fa9a0f7d.png

I'd prefer an actual NHL quality defenceman.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RolexSub said:

We can utilize Juulsen and hopefully Burroughs comes back from his injury soon or give Rathbone another chance!! 

I'm more worried about Demko losing confidence playing in front of a tire fire defense than a third round pick or 1.5mill in cap space.

I think this is the right move that ultimately save us cap space while still having somewhat of a competent D core in front of Demko.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That should have always been obvious.

JR pretty much said that’s what they’re doing.

JR said we are two years away.  Our owner is the one wanting to compete now and holding up any bigger trades, like Miller, that fit into the JR timeline.

12 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

It’s the Jets 3rd that’s getting passed around now. Our 3rd has cleaned up it’s act and settled down, at least I hope. 

Sharing is caring my dude. I call dibs next!