The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Tyler Motte to Rangers for 2023 4th-round pick

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

It would be nice to keep Motte but I think the Dickinson extension Benning made priced Motte out. There is no way Motte's agent isn't asking at least the same amount as Dickinson with more term. 

Really hoping (hands of stone) Dickenson can find a role with the team.

1 minute ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Are we selling? or buying?

If we're selling then why did we waste that 3rd pick on Dermott after we had just acquired another 3rd? 

If we're buying then why sell one of our best PK guys for a 4th?

If cap issues were a problem why didn't you trade a guy with a bigger cap hit? There was interest from other teams on guys like garland and boeser. Are you still trying to make the playoffs?

lol. Management core today just seemed very indecisive and weak with their plans its frustrating. 

This wasn't the deadline for either of those guys. Garland is signed for another 4 years at a very reasonable salary. Why even look to move him? You only move him if there's an offer comes in too good to turn down. It would need to be a great offer and it could still happen at the draft or offseason. Boeser could be dealt at the draft. Teams out of the playoffs (meaning a pick in the top half of rounds), would have interest in Boeser, but from the other teams perspective why take on his salary now and likely lower your draft position dealing for him now. For a playoff team Boeser is a high cap hit with a higher salary who has underperformed. The upside is he's RFA and they could re-sign him if they have a high cap UFA they plan to let walk. From a Canucks perspective his cap versus performance lowers his trade value for the deadline. If he produces well down the stretch his value could be higher at the draft, and get a better return than he'd get now.

Buying or selling? Building. A 30+ defensive d-man out and a 25 yr old defensive d-man in at half the price. That's a building move. This team isn't rebuilding (a seller). We're on this very ice for the playoffs, so not a buyer. 

• Cheers 1

I will admit a 4th is kind of a crappy return but this fanbase really does overvalue the guys that play here. Motte wasn't going to go for a 1st Rd Pick. That was crazy talk. At least they got an asset and can potentially re-sign him in the off-season if more money is moved around. This board would be all over past management for letting guys walk for 0 assets.. At least they got something..
Can't wait to see this board react to the Brock Boeser Trade in the off-season.. I have a feeling it's going to be ugly!

1 minute ago, eeeeergh said:

Fine so he's not signing back here - in which case, why are people so upset? We got something for him. 

We lost Markstrom, Tanev, and Toffoli for 0 assets in return.

If a 4th round pick is the price of getting a Motte type rental (which it seems to be the case based on the other trades that happened today), that's a pick we can use as a trade chip too later on. 

My point stands - people are just mad b/c their unrealistic expectations didn't happen. 

This was responsible asset management. 

A 4th round pick is essentially a coupon for a free slice of pizza. They don't hold much value. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Retool ... Rebuild it doesn't matter

Buffalo has been rebuilding since forever and they have barley progressed and in terms of retool LA kings are doing it now just fine, Anaheim (even if they miss the playoffs) are probably going to be better next season, St. Louis won a cup during a retool, and Pens won their 2nd and 3rd cup in their Crosby era by retooling. 

Point is the problem isn't about retooling or rebuilding it's about the execution. Benning had a mandate to retool obviously the execution was poor. Here's just hoping this management team can execute a retool better than the last one.

True. However it also comes down to decisiveness and having a set plan.

We've sucked for nearly 8 years.

A some point in that time span, you'd think the ownership would realize that their re-tool on the fly wasn't going to work as we kept landing in the bottom half of the standings.

Every team has their own situation. In our case, there were continuous mixed signals between the management and ownership because Francesco wanted to keep pushing for  the playoffs every year although when we simply weren't good enough. Linden also left because of the disagreements with ownership too. 

There was never a set plan in place for this team. Benning's era as GM clearly showed that. "We live/operate day by day" is one thing Jim even said. 

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Seems like a panic move just to do something.

If they had weighed this deal rationally keeping Motte would have had more value than a 4th.

Unless this is some old boys club thing where JR gives them a deal now to help grease a Miller or Garland trade later I don’t get it.

Haven't we just gone through years and years of deadlines with the fanbase being upset for letting assets walk for nothing? Motte was traded for market value since a reasonable extension could not be struck. The fan base up in arms right now is the definition of damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Upvote 1

This tells me that Motte’s agent made it clear that he wants more than 2.25 million or so and Vancouver doesn't want to pay that much so they essentially gave him away (4th liner). Would have loved to keep him if the price were right, but clearly it wasn’t. We need more Mottes not fewer.

1 minute ago, Jack Fig said:

A 4th round pick is essentially a coupon for a free slice of pizza. They don't hold much value. 

What on earth do you mean?

A 4th round pick was used to acquire Motte. 

A 4th round pick could be used to acquire a Motte for US next year if we're in the playoff race. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

I think they were looking for a 3rd for Motte and it wasn't coming. When Richardson came available on waivers they likely looked at as Richardson for free allows us to move Motte for what we can get.

Thanks JB for the memories.   This is the cost of Dickenson.   Good luck to you Motte - if you weren't a NYR/NYI or a Bruin i'd wish you'd win a cup.    Remember when all you chumps said Dick was our answer for 3rd line C and i said all he'd be is a good 4th liner with Motte and Sutter?  And not as a C.   Well this is part of that cost.    Dickinson has a lot to live up too.   Better work his Motte off to earn it. 

Just now, Shayster007 said:

Haven't we just gone through years and years of deadlines we the the fanbase being upset for letting assets walk for nothing? Motte was traded for market value since a reasonable extension could not be struck. The fan base up in arms right now is the definition of damned of you do and damned if you don't.

Okay so Motte's value is a 4th and we couldn't afford to lose out on getting assets, right?  

How much did Miller's value drop now?  Is it a 4th?  We are losing way more assets keeping Miller beyond this TDL than Motte.  

• Haha 1

I love that they got something but man the way this team is built is all over the place without an identity. Benning’s fault. We have to see after the off-season what’s going to happen. I don’t think the makeup of the core and defense is right. I am sure management sees it too. It will be nice to see Lockwood/ Rathbone called up. The reality is that other teams see what we have and see what we see in terms of Dickinson, Poolman, Chaisson. Other gms aren’t stupid. We likely didn’t get any offers to unload those contracts. I do think that Miller’s value is at its highest now.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

Just now, eeeeergh said:

What on earth do you mean?

A 4th round pick was used to acquire Motte. 

A 4th round pick could be used to acquire a Motte for US next year if we're in the playoff race. 

And a team goes through all kinds of role players before it finds one that is truly useful. And that is Motte. You have to look under a lot of rocks before you find a useful guy like him. 

The main point is that he was probably asking for more than we could afford, and that's why he's gone. That part is understandable. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Fine so he's not signing back here - in which case, why are people so upset? We got something for him. 

We lost Markstrom, Tanev, and Toffoli for 0 assets in return.

If a 4th round pick is the price of getting a Motte type rental (which it seems to be the case based on the other trades that happened today), that's a pick we can use as a trade chip too later on. 

My point stands - people are just mad b/c their unrealistic expectations didn't happen. 

This was responsible asset management. 

Because, Motte was a big part of our team right now.

If we did not have Motte, but knew how valuable he would be to us, I would have been glad to get him for a lousy 4th.

This stupidity has kicked this team in the nads for sweet Marchand-all.

We're still playing hockey here you goofs!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Appleton, Brassard, Namestnikov, Paul all returned 4th round picks. This is simply the market value this year. If Motte wasn't going to resign, this was the right move. No ideal, obviously, but how people are calling for Allvins head is beyond me.

I haven't seen one post with anyone calling for his head. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jack Fig said:

And a team goes through all kinds of role players before it finds one that is truly useful. And that is Motte. You have to look under a lot of rocks before you find a useful guy like him. 

The main point is that he was probably asking for more than we could afford, and that's why he's gone. That part is understandable. 

A lot of teams have Motte's. We saw several of them moved today alone.