The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Tyler Motte to Rangers for 2023 4th-round pick

7 minutes ago, T-Bo said:

Too bad, I liked the guy.  But like we have seen so many times, contract years tend to bring on extra efforts, then they deflate once the fat cheque arrives.

I for one, am glad to see the end of the era of overpaying four liners.  Motte just happens to be the first one.  Nucks need cap space, and JB left JR with nothing but a spoon to dig himself out with.  Welcome to his long game.

Motter isn't the type to stop caring once he gets paid. Most 4th liners aren't those types of guys. Motter was a warrior and was worth far more than a 4th rounder.

1 minute ago, Shayster007 said:

Yup, spot on Alf. Millers value is a 4th.

Miller's value has dropped (after this TDL) by way more than the 4th we got for Motte. We are wasted assets keeping Miller past this TDL.  And a lot more in assets than the fourth we just got for Motte.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

A lot of teams have Motte's. We saw several of them moved today alone. 

Sure. And our new Motte is Highmore. And that's a noticeable downgrade. But it comes back to money, and Santa Jim isn't here to overpay anymore. And that's okay. 

15 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Fine so he's not signing back here - in which case, why are people so upset? We got something for him. 

We lost Markstrom, Tanev, and Toffoli for 0 assets in return.

If a 4th round pick is the price of getting a Motte type rental (which it seems to be the case based on the other trades that happened today), that's a pick we can use as a trade chip too later on. 

My point stands - people are just mad b/c their unrealistic expectations didn't happen. 

This was responsible asset management. 

Speaking of unrealistic expectations-did you think the Canucks were going to trade their MVP in Markstrom when they were fighting for a playoff spot?  TT was acquired to help with the push/Boeser injury.  Maybe you can make the case for Tanev, but given the circumstances at the time it would have been unlikely.

Discussing asset management is one thing. Using these players as examples given the circumstances seems like a stretch. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

What on earth do you mean?

A 4th round pick was used to acquire Motte. 

A 4th round pick could be used to acquire a Motte for US next year if we're in the playoff race. 

Jeez we shoulda asked for a 6th instead cuz that would get us another Datzuk. 

We could use Motte now, and get more value over the rest of this year than that 4th is ever even remotely likely to yield.

12 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Losing markstrom/tanev/toffoli for free is the only reason we're in such deep trouble right now. 

If we had gotten the appropriate assets in return - picks, prospects, etc. We would EASILY be able to package them together with some of our horrendous contracts and free up cap space. 

Im very happy we saw some responsible asset management today, gives me a lot of faith in the next few years. 

Yes and Jim Benning passed on power forward Mathew Tkachuck!!

Their core players are from us. LOL

Just now, Angry Goose said:

Speaking of unrealistic expectations-did you think the Canucks were going to trade their MVP in Markstrom when they were fighting for a playoff spot?  TT was acquired to help with the push/Boeser injury.  Maybe you can make the case for Tanev, but given the circumstances at the time it would have been unlikely.

Discussing asset management is one thing. Using these players as examples given the circumstances seems like a stretch. 

Yeah the hindsight gming on here is horrendous and illogical. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Goal:thecup said:

Jeez we shoulda asked for a 6th instead cuz that would get us another Datzuk. 

We could use Motte now, and get more value over the rest of this year than that 4th is ever even remotely likely to yield.

I don't mean we would draft another Motte - I mean if the asking price at the TDL for a 3rd line energy forward is a 4th rounder, then we've added one that we can use to trade when we're in a position to add to our group at the deadline.

My point is the 4th round pick has trade value that'll be useful to us. 

Can't afford $2.5 million for a 4th liner.  So you get what you can.  My guess is they will try to fill the hole with Dowling or Bailey, and hope Lockwood can win the position outright next year.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them call Lockwood up now (if he's healthy) and give him an extended audition to show his stuff.

If you look at the trade deadline tracker, this is commensurate for what teams are paying for rentals.  I don't see anybody getting pantsed this year.  That might be the reason Miller, Boeser, and Myers are still Canucks, because the brass didn't get any offers that made them pull the trigger.

1 minute ago, beni said:

Probably wasn't going to re sign for a team friendly deal. Wanted to get paid

Better than letting him walk for absolutely nothing. 

Better than nothing. It all depends on what he was asking.

If you just look at Mottes value to this team, outside of how every $100,000 is so important to help the cap issues JB set up for JR to deal with, I don't see how anyone here could honestly say Motte is not worth $2 million to this team, if that was what he was asking.  His youth and speed are exactly what we need more of.  We replace Motte on the 4th line with Richardson at $800,000, an older slower vet. 

Cap space is so valuable now to this team to recapture that we lose important pieces like our fourth line center solidified for years with a dynamic player like Motte. If he was asking no more than $2 million, that would have been well worth it, in a bubble.   If Motte wanted more than that, then see ya later.  But I don't get some folks here saying that 2 mill is too much.   But Myers is paid $6 mill?  Mottes contribution to the team is at least 1/3 the value that Myers is.  Eventually you need a player like Motte to center your fourth line. So it just seems a little dumb to shed a player like this, and have to now try and replace the same quality of player for under $2 million.

But of course, its this painful position of cap space that compels this management group to take the only return that NY gave them at the last second.  Its just hard to take when all we've seen for a decade is this team shedding players we like, that still have good value, that play their hearts out.......Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli, Stecher, for nothing, and having to keep the players we'd rather trade but can't move. Or the only way to move them is to take on a bad crippling contract like OEL, and/or buyouts on the cap every season.  Did Benning have even one season where he wasn't paying out some recapture or buyout against the cap from some previous bad trade or draft?

Canuck luck also in play in players being attractive as trade bait, as I'm sure a few teams had some of the shine dulled on Halak, to get as backup support, after his last two starts.  Maybe the same with Boeser and his play this last month.

Like a lot of trades, it could go either way. We may find another younger version of Motte in that 4th round pick.  Who knows? Its just too bad this team was not in a healthier cap situation to be able to easily pay Motte, who is at least a known quantity, what he is worth. And $2 million for what he brings is not an overpayment on paper.

Patick Allvin...meet the new boss.  Same as the old boss.

Guess the calls made by Rutherford and Allvin to gauge the value of the Canucks players was somewhat underwhelming (or Canucks players are unwanted...don't blame anyone for low-balling Canucks' assets after seeing the p!$$ poor effort they have shown over the past three games where their playoff lives were on the line).

Pathetic. Back. To. Irrelevance.

What a good trade...

... for the Rangers.

I don't get it.  Isn't our management supposed to improve our team?  I guess I can't see the whole picture.  And I'm not sure I want to.  GCG!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

How will they do it and which teams should I had chosen ? 

That's the billion dollar question. But imho, it can't start with comparing ourselves to bad franchises. Listen, I'm not trying to pick on you - I'm just tried of the never-ending X-year retool plan that we've been sold on for over 7 years now. Rutherford just said last month that the Canucks won't be competitive until 2024 because they have some good pieces. But then he said that the Canucks players are slow and not skilled enough and are only competitive because of great goaltending. If that's what the players really are, then we should expect to get low value during trades - for example, see the Motte return. He also said we need to clear cap space. With all those constraints, is 2024 realistic?