The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Tyler Motte to Rangers for 2023 4th-round pick

After seeing what other players were going for I am happy with this deal. Larsson averages over 17 minutes per game, is one of the top defensive players in the league 5 on 5 and was scoring at around a 40 point pace and got a 3rd rounder. Coyotes also retained 50%. 

Much better getting something than missing the playoffs and losing him for nothing like we did with Hamhuis. 

Well, I’m puzzled as to why they broke up our 4th line for a 4th round pick? Those guys had such good chemistry and Motte was the leader on that line. I would have looked into trading the whole line together as a package before I would have let one go for a mid round pick. We also added Travis Dermott? WTF? I feel like they should have just stood pat once they got a 3rd for Hamonic and gained $3 million in cap space. Surprised we couldn’t even get future considerations or a 7th for Halak. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DontMessMe said:

If the implication is Motter wasn't interested in re-signing at fair value, I accept the 4th rounder. But as someone that has no inside info. It sucks to see the heart and soul of our bottom 6 gone for a 4th rounder. But I guess I can just convince myself he wanted more than he was worth.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Baggins said:

This wasn't the deadline for either of those guys. Garland is signed for another 4 years at a very reasonable salary. Why even look to move him? You only move him if there's an offer comes in too good to turn down. It would need to be a great offer and it could still happen at the draft or offseason. Boeser could be dealt at the draft. Teams out of the playoffs (meaning a pick in the top half of rounds), would have interest in Boeser, but from the other teams perspective why take on his salary now and likely lower your draft position dealing for him now. For a playoff team Boeser is a high cap hit with a higher salary who has underperformed. The upside is he's RFA and they could re-sign him if they have a high cap UFA they plan to let walk. From a Canucks perspective his cap versus performance lowers his trade value for the deadline. If he produces well down the stretch his value could be higher at the draft, and get a better return than he'd get now.

Buying or selling? Building. A 30+ defensive d-man out and a 25 yr old defensive d-man in at half the price. That's a building move. This team isn't rebuilding (a seller). We're on this very ice for the playoffs, so not a buyer. 

we also copped out a 27 year old motte for a 37 year old richardson. Is that a building move? 

Yeah we got the 4th but why not then keep the 3rd as well instead of trading for dermott then? we don't even have enough money to qualify boeser at this point.

My point was that I don't get a clear indication that this management group at this point still has a set plan for where to go with this team which is a little disappointing. However you're right, this isn't the deadline for bigger deals where larger pieces might move around and this team could free up more cap space so I'll reserve my judgement for later.

Edited by PetterssonOrPeterson

3 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Allvin to speak to media at 1:30... I bet you he's gonna say the expected...  That he didn't get any incredible offers and the team still got a shot at playoffs!! 

You don't think that's true? They moved the one pending UFA with "some" value. They rest weren't essential trade deadline moves. So if the offer wasn't great, why do it? It's not like Miller, Boeser, Garland, Myers, or Pearson are in position to just walk away after the season. There will be deals to be had before the draft and then again before free agency, and then again during the summer for those guys. You don't makes trades for the sake of making trades, or to simply appease fans wanting something to happen.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

If the implication is Motter wasn't interested in re-signing at fair value, I accept the 4th rounder. But as someone that has no inside info. It sucks to see the heart and soul of our bottom 6 gone for a 4th rounder. But I guess I can just convince myself he wanted more than he was worth.

Exactly. 

53 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

He did to us. Way more value than a 4th rounder who probably won't even crack the NHL. Like others, I'd rather have kept him for our diminishing playoff push and risk losing him for nothing at year's end, because that's what we got. Nothing. Statistically speaking that 4th rounder won't even play for us. We have even less heart and soul on this team now. 

I completely agree. 

1 minute ago, Shayster007 said:

Trading an expiring 4th line rental in comparison to a top 10 player in the league with another years is apples and oranges. I would have liked to trade Miller as well, but these aren't really comparables.

I agree the player are completely different.  It's the concept, as stated by Allvin, we can't afford to lose assets.  That's why we traded Motte.  We couldn't afford to lose out on that fourth round pick.  Okay.  Understood.  But we lost a lot more than a fourth not trading Miller before this TDL than a fourth.  We need to applay the same philosophy across the board.  Miller just lost a lot of value.  Now we have to re-sign Miller or those assets are lost.  

1 minute ago, DontMessMe said:

The way I will look at it is

If we traded Hamonic and his $3M 2023 contract to OTT for a 4th instead of a 3rd, we still would have been elated

So, switch it around

I will look at it as Motte for a 3rd

and

Hamonic for a 4th

I believe Mottes agent will be going for a larger contract next year

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So basically he didn’t gain any value here. I don’t believe that.

Couldnt we have at least gotten some boom or bust prospect from them? I’d prefer that over a fourth. Get Gradin to pick one of their Swedish prospects!

Exactly.  If Motte was a 4th round pick as a green rookie snot nosed kid, surely he's at least worked his way up to a 3rd round pick value by now.

But yeah, I know, if you want be a Good Canuck Fan, you have to accept the mantra of "at least we got something for him" Which seems to be the high bar mark in Canuck land lately.

• Cheers 2

Motte out / Richardson in , Hamonic out / Mcdermot in seem like fairly lateral hockey moves to me , maybe they are more about chemistry? Sounds like Hammers dramas where wearing thin on the dressing room and Motte is a good player but seems like an introvert that maybe didn't fit in that well?

Either way we finish the season with most of the same roster as we started with for better or worse. ( ( I actually think Benning would have made more moves than this fwiw)

* Does anyone know how do these moves affect our ability to sign Livingstone or Scanlin now ?