The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Contending Window for this team is the next 4 years and planning should be for that period

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

• *Buzzsaw* changed the title to The Contending Window for this team is the next 4 years and planning should be for that period

Petey and Hughes not even in their primes. Major structural and succession issues at RD, lack of speed, size and grit, PK'ers, 3C, lack of organizational depth to support the roster and overly reliant on Demko.

Their play under Bruce has been admirable, but it doesn't change those realities.

Our window is +/- 2-7 years.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

To add to my post above, the reason why we did well in 2020 bubble playoffs is because despite some cap deficiencies (Loui, Beagle, Roussel), we had some amazing cap efficiencies coming from Hughes, Petey, and Marky.

And also players like Bo and Miller played like 7, 8 mil players.

Players like Edler and Tanev played at or above their cap as well.

Garland Miller Podlokzin

Pettersson Horvat Boeser

Pearson xxx Hoglander

Highmore Lammikko Chiasson 

Lockwood

OEL Myers

Hughes Schenn

Dermott zzz

Rathbone

Demko

Martin

coach Boudreau 

these roster is already good.

now add a speedy gifted 3C and a top 4 Def to play with Hughes, using Myers Cap.

Hughes zzz 

OEL Dermott

Rathbone Schenn 

get ride of the 2 mistcasts : save 5.1

Poolman 2.5M

Dickinson 2.6M

Let them fly : save 1,9M

let Hunt goes. 800k
Let Sutter retires 1.125M

so 7 M to re-sign the following :

sign Miller 8,8 x 5 up 3,6

sign Boeser 6,9 x 5  up 1.1

sign Highmore 1,2 x 2 up 500k

sign Lammikko 1 x 2 up 250k

sign Chiasson 1 x 1 up 250k

Re-signing costs ups: under 6M

we still have to sign our 3C and our top4 def, but we should not be that bad cap wise. 

1 hour ago, deus.ex.makina said:

so 7 M to re-sign the following :

sign Miller 8,8 x 5 up 3,6

sign Boeser 6,9 x 5  up 1.1

sign Highmore 1,2 x 2 up 500k

sign Lammikko 1 x 2 up 250k

sign Chiasson 1 x 1 up 250k

Re-signing costs ups: under 6M

we still have to sign our 3C and our top4 def, but we should not be that bad cap wise. 

What about Bo? He is going to get a raise. Pettersson going to get a big pay check as well after this contract.

Someone is getting moved, if it’s not Miller, it’s likely going to be BB.

Also not that easy to move out guys like Dickinson and Poolman, likely going to have to give up an asset with one of them.

Edited by J-23

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Petey and Hughes not even in their primes. Major structural and succession issues at RD, lack of speed, size and grit, PK'ers, 3C, lack of organizational depth to support the roster and overly reliant on Demko.

Their play under Bruce has been admirable, but it doesn't change those realities.

Our window is +/- 2-7 years.

Well said. Petey and Hughes have yet to hit their prime. That is a few years away and once that happens, that’s when our window opens and when we truly become contenders. During that time though, we must fix those issues you mentioned.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, shiznak said:

The fact that JR outright said, they need to clear cap to compete in a few years indicate the team isn’t going to truly compete for at least 2 years. Too many holes in the lineup.

Miller has been a workhorse/fan favourite for us and is playing like a superstar. But that doesn’t mean re-signing him to a mega deal is the right move for the organization moving forward. Plus, there’s no guarantee Miller can sustain his current production next year. So, you move him when his value is at it peak.

Yes, the team did wonders when Boudreau took over, but how many of those games that you can say we deserve to win? I’d wager to bet that more than half of the games since Boudreau took over, we were badly outplayed, only for Demko to bail us out.

Last time I checked the goaltender is part of the team. How many years did Luongo bail us out? Thats why you build from the net out. Markstrom did it for a few years as well.

Moving Miller is not a complete disaster as some have suggested but its possibly not the answer to all our issues. Whomever we trade JT to will have to have the assets we need to be competitive within 2 years or so. We need a RHD that is ready to compete in that 2 years. Adding draft picks for JT is not smart as we already have the player we want in JT hes just a little older than our core. How much better will we be adding a Juolevi or Virtanen that dont work out for a player that we already know.

The player most likely to be moved is Boeser. As much as I like the kid, i dont like his speed. Pure and simple when he gets the puck he can shoot and accurately but to build a fast skilled team you need to be able to skate in this league and hes the slow man out.

If we can somehow move on from Poolman, Dickenson and Hunt as well as either a trade of Brock or walk away we get cap space to sign a D man to play with Hughes. As I have said before I dont think BB6 beings us much back in a trade after this season

Edited by mikeyman109
  • Vintage 1

I have a hard time seeing this team competing with OEL, Myers and Dickenson taking up almost $16 million in cap space. Not that they aren't good players, but the value just isn't there at that price.

Benning screwed this team over with bad contracts, and we're tied to OEL for another, what 5 years? 

Le sigh.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

Great years out of Miller, Demko, Bo, Hughes, and Petey.  And we still missed the playoffs!  Big changes are needed, and (unless our owner is involved) are coming.

Oir top players are going to be different.  

Miller out

Garland out

Myers out

• Like 1

1 minute ago, babych said:

I have a hard time seeing this team competing with OEL, Myers and Dickenson taking up almost $16 million in cap space. Not that they aren't good players, but the value just isn't there at that price.

Benning screwed this team over with bad contracts, and we're tied to OEL for another, what 5 years? 

Le sigh.

Exactly!  We are stuck with OEL.  We cannot stick it to ourselves even more and sign Miller.  

Myers and Dickinson can and will both be moved.  

• Like 1

I think that we should try to win now and later.  The idea that it has to be one or the other seems rather artificial to me.  We've just seen how big a difference that coaching can make with essentially the same players so the idea that "the window" is only open for a limited amount of time while certain players are certain ages is silly.  There are so many factors at play that it can't be boiled down to a simple mechanical formula.  Sometimes a 35 year old is over the hill and sometimes they can be a vital piece to winning it all, it can't be predicted by age alone.  As long as we are constantly trying to improve we can win at any time, it's not about now or later.

Go Canucks Go!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The way i see it is Allvin doesn't have much of a choice other then some minor surgery.   I don't think we are going to be contenders either way.  But what i do see is a modest path to give our team some playoff reps.    Major surgery comes with too much risk - at least that's how i see it.    A few lopsided trades could push us into a contender.   Not expecting that either.   Rather a team that is good enough to compete with the big boys but not a top team.    That's ok.   My biggest curiosity is how we are in the post season.  It's a big unknown.    LA was a bad/middling regular season team.    There is always hope.  

• Upvote 1

I'm just not sure about the mix. And not just the tweeners the team has. Myers is sort of the team summed up in one player. At times when he keeps it simple. He's very effective.

Other times he's like he's juggling the puck like a hand grenade. He's not the only one that seems to be inconsistent. 

The problem is we play in the Western Conference. And outside of Schenn, Myers, Burroughs, Pearson. We don't have a lot of size and or muscle. Chaisson has the size and frame, but doesn't use it like he should. When we play the bigger teams like Vegas, Minny, the Canucks get boxed out. We can't thrive with smaller players and skill. 

Edmonton tried that, and even they had to bring in more muscle, and improve their defence. (But they still can't invest in a good goalie)

I'd hope we move some pieces and the team will gel and improve. But personally I'm stumped. I really don't want to completely rebuild. But I'm not sure we're good enough to be up against the Tampas, Floridas, Hurricanes. Let alone teams in our conference. 

• Vintage 2

29 minutes ago, nux_win said:

I think that we should try to win now and later.  The idea that it has to be one or the other seems rather artificial to me.  We've just seen how big a difference that coaching can make with essentially the same players so the idea that "the window" is only open for a limited amount of time while certain players are certain ages is silly.  There are so many factors at play that it can't be boiled down to a simple mechanical formula.  Sometimes a 35 year old is over the hill and sometimes they can be a vital piece to winning it all, it can't be predicted by age alone.  As long as we are constantly trying to improve we can win at any time, it's not about now or later.

Go Canucks Go!

Will Miller and OEL making 16 mil on our cap in 3 years allow us to be winning?  

7 hours ago, khay said:

To add to my post above, the reason why we did well in 2020 bubble playoffs is because despite some cap deficiencies (Loui, Beagle, Roussel), we had some amazing cap efficiencies coming from Hughes, Petey, and Marky.

And also players like Bo and Miller played like 7, 8 mil players.

Players like Edler and Tanev played at or above their cap as well.

We also did really well in the bubble because the St Louis Blues went a bit of a bender.

46 minutes ago, nux_win said:

Go Canucks Go!

Exactly I hate the term window.

You should always been moving players and pieces to be competitive.

• Cheers 1