The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Mega Off-Season Thread

Rate this topic

Odd.

13 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

If Myers and/ or Boeser get moved, I think Vancouver's actually in a good spot, with some versatility for how they want to fix their top-4 D.

Moreover, on the note about top-4 defense, I wonder if (in case they can't find a trade) a switch to try would be Hughes - Myers, and then OEL - Schenn.  Hear me out.
For all the bad reputation Myers has garnered as "Chaos Giraffe", he showed at times this past season that (even without OEL, e.g. in some OT games) he can make sound defensive plays.  Now of course OEL changing to play more defensively did help to cover his mistakes, but if Boudreau sat him down and talked with him to focus more as a shutdown and physical partner for Hughes (who would be in charge of breakouts) I'm sure that he could take on that responsibility.  In fact, Hughes' improvement defensively this season could also help to cover Myers' mistakes, and they would be two of the more capable puck-moving D that we have, plus both improved their defensive games recently.  The two of them did have success two seasons ago.

Regarding swapping Schenn to partner with OEL, we saw how the former Coyotes captain could step up offensively when he wasn't burdened with covering Myers' mistakes.  Schenn won't have such an issue as he's primarily a shutdown guy.  Having a 35-40 point, offensively oriented OEL with a stable partner in Schenn could unlock the depth scoring that we need, plus he's still shown this year that he can carry a defensive load with Myers.  With Schenn they might provide the all-around pair that the team needs.

(disclaimer, optimally Myers does get moved, but in case he doesn't, since OEL - Myers was all defense, they might as well try and unlock two offensive LHD in Hughes and OEL.  They can recreate a symbiotic pair in Hughes - Myers where both can take turns roving up ice, and Myers can also be that shutdown guy who falls back).

I'm none too sure about the Myers Hughes pairing... think they are both too offensive minded. 
Would much prefere a stay at home D-man to play with both OEL and Hughes. 
This is not harping on Myers, who has had all the hard assignments and still a + player, but he wants to roam too much to be a good fit for either of the two offensive Dmen. 

Schenn has been fabulous, but is playing above his pay grade. He gets smoked regularly for speed. He will do well with Hughes or OEL until upgrades can be had, but if we want to contend, we need an upgrade.... that can also protect Quinn, which Schenn has done a great job of until now. 
Believe Rathbone will be used in a trade, trying to get one of the Dmen mentioned. 

What I'd sort of like to happen but will never happen: trade Miller for Schneider, Chytil, 1st, sign Teirney 3.5M x 3y, re-sign the rest, flip Poolman and Dickinson for picks.

What I'd like to happen but probably won't happen: trade Garland for a young RHD and keep everyone else.

What I think will happen: no trades, we resign Miller.

16 hours ago, wildcam said:

I would like a Josh Mason type signing RD, 6'3, 215 can play with Hughes if they don't make a trade for a young RD man...

Mason will be 31 in October, UFA so might get him for 3.2 million X 3 yrs? Might be more like 3.7 million..

Mason plays like Schenn but more talented then Schenn..Mason Could fill #4 RD spot for a few years, very tough, great size..

I don’t know enough about Mason, but he has all the attributes and looks to posses a decent shot, which is a weapon that Hughes could amplify. 

plus, he has the size.  

If he is an Upgrade, and can play about 70 plus games, and playoffs, then what’s not to like and or target.  

Who wouldn’t want an shot to be Hughes Partner.  

can we lose Poolman and sign Schenn?  Then we be a solid team.  Hughes Mason, OEL and Myers, Rathbone, Schenn and Burroughs with Woo and others getting some audition’s.  

draft the best we can to address the RHD and Defence in general as it is such a high valued position.  

retain the forward core and bring in savvy picks like Podz and Klimovich who have a maturity that isn’t often matched at the same age in Canada.  

Mason would be a solid addition and the best off the shelf FA target for us that I can see on the D market.  

3 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

I don’t know enough about Mason, but he has all the attributes and looks to posses a decent shot, which is a weapon that Hughes could amplify. 

plus, he has the size.  

If he is an Upgrade, and can play about 70 plus games, and playoffs, then what’s not to like and or target.  

can we lose Poolman and sign Schenn?  Then we be a solid team.  Hughes Mason, OEL and Myers, Rathbone, Schenn and Burroughs with Woo and others getting some audition’s.  

draft the best we can to address the RHD and Defence in general as it is such a high valued position.  

retain the forward core and bring in savvy picks like Podz and Klimovich who have a maturity that isn’t often matched at the same age in Canada.  

Mason would be a solid addition and the best off the shelf FA target for us that I can see on the D market.  

Is that Manson? And would you sign Schenn or extend him? 

Edited by Chris12345

1 minute ago, Phat Fingers said:

plus, he has the size.  

Schenn is under contract for one more year $850,000

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

how would you not want another Luke Schenn? Plays tough , plays great defense, fights when needed, and plays above what his contract is. Id take a clone right now

Totally agree.  With the skill we have on our left side (Hughes, OEL, Bone) would be great to have three Luke Schenns on the right.  

• Cheers 1

Coaches have shelflives, especially guys like Bruce. I'd much rather this team make the proper moves like trading JT, Boeser, etc... and be able to win with any coach 2 years from now, rather than hope Bruce can do what he's doing now at 70 years old. 

3 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Is that Manson? And would you sign Schenn or extend him? 

I’m guessing we can talk another contract with Schenn same time we can with Miller and Bo.  All three will be UFAs July 2023.  If Schenn will take less than the 1.15 we can bury in the AHL without costing on our cap, then I see no reason to not offer him a two year extension this summer.  Then we know we have him for 3 more years.  Would be great if he’s here to partner with Bone, when he comes up.  

12 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Allvin is about to earn his money and reputation - let's see how he does.  

Maybe he bests earns his money by tinkering with the edges, and not anything with our extended core, except signing Boeser?

oh, and extending Boudreau?  

5 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Listening to Boeser on the radio today it became apprent that he was distraught with his fathers  medical/life problems. A big weight to carry

Man, that's still ongoing?  I thought his fathers health issues had gotten better.

HUGE distraction and hard to give it your all knowing the call could come any day

Build the team around Petey and Hughes. That should be the focus.

1. Bring back Bruce.

2. Off-season Moves:

- Miller for something like Schneider++, Lysell++, etc.

- Move out Boeser. 

- Myers, need to find a better partner for OEL

- Dickinson, try and ship out

- Halak, try and ship out

- Poolman move out that money

- Pearson, he is a tank, love the guy, doesn’t lose puck battles but we should sell high IMO

3. Main Focus:

- Building a solid third line with a 3C to pick up some of Bo’s workload

- Defence needs God, still might not be enough to fix our D

- Acquiring a young prospect/player with major upside in one of our big trades, a RD like Schneider or good skating winger like Lysell

- Moves should open up cap space for FA

Edited by J-23

If we can dump Pearson, Myers, Dickinson, Halak, and somehow solve the Poolman issue, I wouldn’t mind a trade for Mark Scheifele. It seems his days as a Jet is coming to an end. 

Id work out a deal for say Rathbone, Garland, Pearson, Hoglander, and a 2022 2nd, 2023 2nd round pick. 

Trade Myers to the Sens for Watson, Lassi Thomson, and couple of picks.

Schiefele has a cap hit of $6.1M for another 2 years. 

We clear roughly 11.6M of cap space (not including Luongos cap recapture.

We can sign Miller and Horvat to comfortable contracts, and by the time Petey needs his extension, we will have roughly 2-2.5M extra cap space from the rise, as well as Poolman, Holtby, Virtanen, and Ferland coming off as well. 

Sign Manson to a $4.6M x 4 year contract. 

Sign Marchment to a $4.8M-$5.0M x 4 year contract.

Dries makes the club next year.

Sign Chiasson to a 2 year $1.1M contract. 

Podkolzin-Scheifele-Boeser

Marchment-Miller-Petey

Watson-Horvat-Chiasson

Highmore-Lammikko-Lockwood

Dries

Hughes-Schenn

OEL-Manson

Dermott-Burroughs

Thomsson

This would instantly give us the toughest middle in the league, and other than Chiasson and Boeser, would make us an incredibly fast and quick team. 

I really hope we pursue Schiefele. This would be an insanely deep playoff team. 

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Man, that's still ongoing?  I thought his fathers health issues had gotten better.

HUGE distraction and hard to give it your all knowing the call could come any day

His father has dementia/Alzheimers apprently. I recently had lunch with a friend who is suffering the same fate and it's a tough tough situation to be in