The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tough Trades (Proposals)

Let's get right to it!

Trade #1

Horvat ($5,500,000)    +    Poolman  ($2,500,000)     +     2022-1st (15th OA)    

for

Severson ($4,166,666)    +      2022-1st (5th OA)   

Trade #2

Boeser ($5,875,000)

for

Laughton ($3,000,000)     +      2023 - 2nd  

OK, the nuts and bolts of this trade. This gives us huge flexibly, where we buy time to develop Our 2022 - 1st (Nemec or Jiricek), and gives us larger cap space, and adding a true #3 center in Laughton. Severson goes right on Hughes right hand side, and gives Hughes a much needed upgraded partner. Cap saved $5,811,664.

UFA signing............................Max Domi  7 years X $6,250,000

2022-2023 Roster

Pearson              Miller             Podkolzin                     9,410,000

Domi                Pettersson       Garland                      18,550,000

Dickenson         Laughton        Hoglander                    8,596,670

Highmore          Lammikko       Lockwood                    2,317,500

Chiasson                                                750,000                            

Hughes         Severson                              12,066,666

OEL               Myers                                 13,260,000

Rathbone       Schenn                                  1,775,000                            

xxxxxxx          xxxxxxx                                  1,500,000

Demko

Martin                                             5,762,500                              

Cap 2022-2023                  73,988,336

Buyouts                                2,400,000

Bonus (Halak)                          300,000

----------------

Total Budget/Cap hit           76,688,336

2022 - 2023 Cap Ceiling     82,500,000

2022 - 2023 Cap Space        5,811,66

*Cap space is not to be spent, as it is there for Miller next Contract and Pettersson's, the year after. Can be used for short term contracts.

Note 1 ................Domi plays LW and Center, Laughton plays center and LW. Both have play 2nd or 3rd lines in the past.

Note 2 ................The Boeser trade could be exchanged as a Garland trade, with the same return, but Boeser's new contract would eat into the Cap Space created.

The 2023 draft then becomes very important in the efforts to obtain a new 2nd line center who can play wing short term, until Miller retires down the road. Myers will have 2 years left on his $6,000,000 contract at the start of next year, and it should be possible to move him at the TDL of his last year, if we want to. At the same time, our 2022 RHD (Nemec/Jiricek) should be ready to come in and play at the start of their draft +3 year (If not sooner!) 

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Mods I apologize.......................please move to the proposal section

Sorry CDC :blush:

Haha I just did the same friki'n thing :picard:

1 I'm not ready to trade Bo. There needs to be a substantial disconnect between him and the team to consider this.

2 I like it Laughton is a bit over paid but I can live with it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Bruce will be signed to 3 year contract before Tuesday..

Horvat 27 îs not going anywhere...

Horvat will be locked up in new contract 6 years X 6.5 million Dollars before June..

Boeser will have new 3yr deal AVV 6.5 million and might get traded later in summer ..

Alvin will try and trade Miller around draft ...

• Like 1

So, what is our deal with Horvat? Do we not like him or something? 30 goals 20 assists. Usually cause he doesn't have good linemates. But we're trading a 27 year old 20-30 goal scorer with good intangibles for what reason exactly? He was 57% in the faceoff dot this season. Let me repeat that, 57% in the faceoff dot. Who's gonna take those 1500 faceoffs for us? Petey? Yikes. Laughton who took maybe 700 faceoffs last season is now gonna take 1200+? I dunno why this fanbase turned on Horvat but I strongly oppose trading him.

• Cheers 3

They are tough trades but they make sense balance wise and value wise so good job!

I think Laughton would be a decent 3C, nothing more. Means we should split Miller and Petey. 

I wouldn't bother with Domi and just hope we can score from within or get someone else.

so eer do those trade means we are letting Miller walk and we are in a full rebuild?? you traded away boeser 23 goals horvat 31 goals and replaced it with a 11 goal domi?? so that's a net gain of -43 goals in the top 6 lol.. if that was this year.. we would rank dead last in the league behind arizona in offense.. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, hammertime said:

Haha I just did the same friki'n thing :picard:

1 I'm not ready to trade Bo. There needs to be a substantial disconnect between him and the team to consider this.

2 I like it Laughton is a bit over paid but I can live with it.

I was surprised you both posted wrong place haha not like you both happens to best of us ehhh

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

If we sign Miller to a big contract, Bo just might be the one moved.  Miller says he wants to be here.  Has Bo said that?

Yeah, I can't recall either. I think VAN would like to keep all 3 of Miller, Pettersson and Horvat, but that might also be too expensive, depending on what Miller wants. 

It could be one of, that gets traded:

Trade #1:  Horvat or Miller

Trade #2:  Boeser or Garland

11 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Let's get right to it!

Trade #1

Horvat ($5,500,000)    +    Poolman  ($2,500,000)     +     2022-1st (15th OA)    

for

Severson ($4,166,666)    +      2022-1st (5th OA)   

Trade #2

Boeser ($5,875,000)

for

Laughton ($3,000,000)     +      2023 - 2nd  

thats certainly one way of rebuilding the right side d and might be the kind of deal that has to happen if we want to do it quickly. 

No way to that contract for Domi. He had one good season 3 years ago (I guess his rookie year was pretty good too). Signing him until he is 34 at north of 6 million would be a huge mistake. We're already going to be regretting the OEL contract in like 2 years, having $14 million tied up in bad contracts would be a killer.

I'd prefer to keep Bo, but I get moving him if the value is there. Same with Boeser.

10 minutes ago, JM_ said:

thats certainly one way of rebuilding the right side d and might be the kind of deal that has to happen if we want to do it quickly. 

Realistically, i value Horvat and Miller and Boeser and Garland of similar values, so it could be changed. I do see trading teams liking Horvat more though, just because of age.

I am really torn over Boeser and Garland..............We can't lose that many goals, unless it is felt that it will all equal out.........................I like the trades, and will like them even more in a couple of years when Nemec/jiricek mature...............but it is truly a hard spot to be in.

The only other option is to move Myers now, and keep Boeser/Garland...............I don't see how in this scenario we can keep both Miller and Horvat, as to improve your draft pick to top 5, you have to give up alot..................