The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A new culture is needed

Rate this topic

snucks

A new culture is needed. To start with they should have a regular anthem singer, and use an organ if they still have one. It is a hockey rink Canucks play in not a talent show for singers. Then they need to find players that will protect each other. The captain should be a leader who ill protect the rest of the team or at least try to. This team has not been tough since 2011. Its hard to watch the team get intimidated. The idea that you can have a skilled fast skating team and not have some protectors is ludicrous.

They could take some lessons from the Blue Jays and Raptors about building a team .

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, snucks said:

A new culture is needed. To start with they should have a regular anthem singer, and use an organ if they still have one. It is a hockey rink Canucks play in not a talent show for singers. Then they need to find players that will protect each other. The captain should be a leader who ill protect the rest of the team or at least try to. This team has not been tough since 2011. Its hard to watch the team get intimidated. The idea that you can have a skilled fast skating team and not have some protectors is ludicrous.

They could take some lessons from the Blue Jays and Raptors about building a team .

Since 2011? They weren't a tough team then either, they showed time and time again how mentally fragile they were when things didn't go their way. They simply did so well in 2011 and the 2012 regular season on sheer raw talent and things coming together. Before that the Blackhawks were living rent free in their heads and almost continued to do so, then the Kings demolished anything that was left mentally.

Edited by canuckster19
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, snucks said:

when did we get intimidated? I don't recall us backing down from any team.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, snucks said:

Lol. Is John Tavares “protecting” his team as the captain? Last time I checked, love em or hate em (I hate em) the Maple Leafs were doing ok. Patrice Bergeron, oh yes, he’s wreckin fools out there. Same with Stamkos.

Thanks for the chuckle though. ::D

• Cheers 2

Wasn't that the point of overhauling the whole front office?!?  Changing a culture isn't the same as changing a tire, takes time, hard work, tough decisions, mistakes, determination.  won't happen overnight, let them work.

Come back in 3-5 years (assuming that same management is around) and then you can start that discussion.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

The only "culture" we require is one of winning. We have seen since Bruce got hired that the team works hard for each other. Sure, maybe we could use some toughness but to me that's just a standard "nice to have", along with all other elements that make up a successful team. It doesn't really change anything to the culture, unless that team chooses to use their size to be outright nasty like Boston did in 2011. (Not suggesting that's a culture I want our team to adopt).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, -DLC- said:

They ARE building a culture...that comes over time and not just by insertion of a few tough guys (although that doesn't hurt either...unless you're the guy they're targeting).

Schenn has been HUGE in how he's taken care of business and had the team's back. But it's going to take a toll on him, he can't be the only one.

The past few games I've noticed a few scrums where the guys ARE more engaged...they're fueled by momentum and some success that gives them confidence. Bo is like Linden...that's not his game. I want every player to play tough...by that, I mean not be afraid to crash and bang out there in puck battles. To not shy away.

Building a hockey team's a bit different than baseball/basketball...it's much more physical and fast moving. Skill and speed are important too, so just getting tough guys isn't the answer, they have to be able to do more. 

Give it time to come together...the team's been through a period like no other with COVID and changes. Allow the dust to settle a bit and I'm sure you'll see more of a culture change with a coach/leader who believes in them. Starts there.

Miller has been shifting the culture and what some saw as only negative with him is a guy who's passionate and emotional about the game. Fired up and, yes, at some times depleted. 

He and Bo make a great leadership duo in my mind.

Well, any organization is constantly building a certain type of culture. Just depends on what exactly is that culture that they're trying to build. It was like with Benning and Weisbrod. They built a culture alright, but it became pretty apparent and clear over time that whatever culture they built wasn't very healthy for the organization. And it showed from management and how they dealt with people, to the players and their joylessness. 

I think changes have to happen this summer. I'd be curious to see what some of the core guys could do coming back together next season under Boudreau. And I feel strongly that management will bring him back. Bringing in yet another rookie coach could prove disastrous for this team right now in their cycle. I think they need someone like Boudreau to help them bring to consistenly to the playoffs stage cycle. If he can't get it done in the postseason? Then, that's the time to find a coach that will bring them further and further. And I'm not sure if Bruce is capable of coaching beyond his 70's. It's a hard gig - especially in this market. Eventually, the Canucks will need to find someone younger. 

Paul Maurice, maybe at that time? Perhaps. 

I like Miller. I'm just not convinced as some in our fanbase that he'll be back. I can't shake the sense that he wants maximum term and dollars. And why wouldn't he ask and demand for that? I'd be surprised if he gives the Canucks a discount in terms of money and term. We'll see soon enough. I can't see the Miller situation drag out all summer. That's the one thing Miller and his agent as well as Canucks management won't want to drag into training camp. Look what that did to Petey under Benning. Let's not go that route again. 

3 hours ago, canuckster19 said:

Since 2011? They weren't a tough team then either, they showed time and time again how mentally fragile they were when things didn't go their way. They simply did so well in 2011 and the 2012 regular season on sheer raw talent and things coming together. Before that the Blackhawks were living rent free in their heads and almost continued to do so, then the Kings demolished anything that was left mentally.

I didn't want to say that but have to agree.  It's not like the team was a complete pushover because it wasn't (2011)...Kesler, Bieksa, Lappy...ok maybe a little bit but not much for the times.   The Bruins obviously we were totally outmatched - they actually had the leagues tough guy at the time in Scott Thornton (which says it all with how the league was already trending), bully boy crybaby Lucic (who asked the refs to come in the first time he fought and actual good enforcer because he was losing lol - most of his fight cards are not really that impressive as far as quality of competition goes - but he's still pretty badass even back then), McQauid (Gudbranson of his era - basically had his way with most his opponents but not a frequent fighter) and man beast Chara (who actually was at best a mediocre fighter when he came in against a much much stiffer level of competition).... we had Bieksa lol all barely 6'0 of him and 192lbs... not a good match.   Most fans hoped Boston would beat Tampa who was pretty loaded ... not me.   I was like oh sh!t when Boston beat TB.   It's a minor miracle it went to 7 games.     Our 2014 team was actually tougher team which says a lot too lol.   Didn't have a Torres head hunter on it but at least we could ice a decent tough 4th line.   

Last teams we had that had any sort of toughness go back to the mid-late 2000's.   And even they were meh.   Have to go back to the Keenan era really.   He always made sure we had two enforcers.   Plus plus.  Walker/McAllister, Scratchard (lol he had a great scrap with Joe Thornton)...Crowder, Ciccone .. and of course Brashear.   Jovo, McCabe (for those who don't know he came in as a tough player too)... Plus guys like Cooke, Ohlund, Ruutu and Bertuzzi / either pests or bashers.    

And if you want to see a team with actual size go check out our early 90's teams (-aside from Ronning) lol.  Sandlak.  Butcher.  Lumme.  Diduck.  Babych.  Murzyn.  Momesso.  Gino, Antoski, Hunter etc etc etc ...Even our skilled guys got a little dirty like Courtnall.   That team would destroy the 2011 team in a 7 game series.    Also would have made patsies out of the "big bad 2011 Bruins".    Even Hedican and Nedved were tall.   

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Lol. Is John Tavares “protecting” his team as the captain? Last time I checked, love em or hate em (I hate em) the Maple Leafs were doing ok. Patrice Bergeron, oh yes, he’s wreckin fools out there. Same with Stamkos.

Thanks for the chuckle though. ::D

No the leafs suck and can't win in the playoffs but are led by a freak elite goal scorer and high powered offense.  Bergeron has only been captain for two seasons and the bruins have had that culture for 50 years, previously led by Zdeno Chara who would kick the crap out of anyone who even looked at one of his teammates.  Bad examples, thanks for the chuckle though. 

10 hours ago, snucks said:

You list me right at the start when you are using the anthem singer and an organ to relate to a team culture.

This only speaks to the in game atmosphere whereas team culture comes from learning how to win as a team.

40 minutes ago, King Loui said:

No the leafs suck and can't win in the playoffs but are led by a freak elite goal scorer and high powered offense.  Bergeron has only been captain for two seasons and the bruins have had that culture for 50 years, previously led by Zdeno Chara who would kick the crap out of anyone who even looked at one of his teammates.  Bad examples, thanks for the chuckle though. 

Do you think that Hank Sedin and Trevor Linden were not worthy captains? Bo is very much in the same mold in term of leadership style as they were.

Come on, let’s hear it. Haven’t had a laugh since your last post.

I'll never forget watching Hank getting rag-dolled on the side of the net after the whistle, the player dropped his stick whilst using two hands punching and thrashing him,  while this was happening Hank literally bent down and picked up that players stick for him while still getting fed...it was honestly just awkward.   And we all remember the rat speed bagging Daniel in the SCF.

Two absolute legends, good leaders in their own right but that is not the culture that wins you anything, proof being our history of Stanley Cups.

@Locke Lamora

Edited by King Loui

23 hours ago, snucks said:

I never saw them be intimidated this season.......they might not be a big team, but they don't back down either.  People need to move away from this "big, tough"mentality as that is simply not the way the NHL is anymore.  It's speed, skill and tenacious forechecking.

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, JM_ said:

when did we get intimidated? I don't recall us backing down from any team.

Well Mason Ramond had his back broken and how did Canucks respond. They got rid of Raffi Torres the following year. Raffi was tough and could score.