The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Islanders have fired head coach Barry Trotz

Rate this topic

24 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Sure, but I'd be looking at contingencies very hard 

You mean Nux?  They should be, after not offering Bruce an extension.  Both sides need to look at plan B in case Bruce doesn't sign by Jun. 1. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Hey everyone look over there!!!!

WOAH!

Hey look over here!!!

WOHHH!!!

Now look there!!!!

WOAAAAHHHH!!!!!

Trotz is the antithesis of what the Canucks need. We are a dynamic high scoring team.

If you’re looking for 2-1 games where the fans go to games to sleep, he’s your guy.

I dont recall him leading the Washington capitals to 2-1 game on nightly basis.. they were over 3 goals per game when he was there.. just coz he coaches a very structure defensive system in new york doesn't make him can only play 2-1 style games.. you take what you are given and work with it.. does the islander roster have players that can play the dynamic high score game? Other than barzal.. they have nothing that resembles legitimate scoring threat.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

WOAH!

Hey look over here!!!

WOHHH!!!

Now look there!!!!

WOAAAAHHHH!!!!!

Trotz is the antithesis of what the Canucks need. We are a dynamic high scoring team.

If you’re looking for 2-1 games where the fans go to games to sleep, he’s your guy.

I don't know. I look at the Capitals, a rather offensive-minded team, and his time there doesn't really show a dip in goals for. If anything there was less goals against but with the same offensive production.

NYI and Nashville were never really teams with a lot of offensive capabilities to begin with so I think it really depends on the team he's coaching?

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

I am indeed going by win%. To me, that speaks better to the talent of the coach than it does the experience of the coach. I figure after the first 500 games, experience probably means less than actual ability. I'm also considering the placement of the teams coached, where Bruce coached most of his teams to 1st place finishes in their respective divisions, whereas Trotz was not quite as successful in that regard, with a lot of 2nd place finishes.

With that said, the quality of the teams themselves obviously also play a factor. Perhaps Bruce's teams have been overall just better teams than Trotz had - considering Trotz started with a very substandard expansion Nashville team.

Regardless, I don't think there is any reasonable ground to suggest Trotz is a *better* coach than Bruce. 

I think they're both great coaching options.  Trotz with his cup win means something to me though.  Boudreau needs that to be ranked that high in my opinion.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I dont recall him leading the Washington capitals to 2-1 game on nightly basis.. they were over 3 goals per game when he was there.. just coz he coaches a very structure defensive system in new york doesn't make him can only play 2-1 style games.. you take what you are given and work with it.. does the islander roster have players that can play the dynamic high score game? Other than barzal.. they have nothing that resembles legitimate scoring threat.

Canucks are second in the league defensively 5 on 5. And that is despite Green having started the year.

We we’re running above .600 since Boudreau landed.

What is there to discuss in this thread outside of: no thanks?

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Well I didn't see that one coming. 

Neither did I. If anything, I thought the Islanders problem was that they were an older team with players on the down side of their careers. Then again, when you are 79 going on 80, everybody 45 to 50 years younger than you seems like a youngster. I can't understand why ownership didn't fire Uncle Lou. He's brought in aging veterans (Parise, Palmieri, Pageau, Greene, Chara) to play key roles when virtually every other team is actively trying to get younger and more skilled. But firing Barry Trotz? The guy is third on the all-time list of wins with 914, behind only Scotty Bowman and Joel Quenneville. In cash-strapped Nashville his teams were playoff contenders every year and with Washington he won a Cup.

If Bruce decides to move on, Trotz would be my preferred candidate. But Trotz would probably be EVERYONE'S preferred guy.

3 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Canucks are second in the league defensively 5 on 5. And that is despite Green having started the year.

Because management clearly feels that it's in large part thanks to Demko that their goals against aren't higher.

Btw Vancouver and NYI scored just as many 5v5 goals this season - 159 for NYI and 157 for Vancouver.  Even over the period since Boudreau took over - pretty much the same average per game at 5v5. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Because management clearly feels that it's in large part thanks to Demko that their goals against aren't higher.

Btw Vancouver and NYI scored just as many 5v5 goals this season - 159 for NYI and 157 for Vancouver.  Even over the period since Boudreau took over - pretty much the same average per game at 5v5. 

So forget the Boudreau sensation and go another direction?

Same bin as trade Miller, Horvat, Hughes and OEL. 

Same “it didn’t work so change everything” attitude.

This gambade makes no sense. Something’s in the water. 

4 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Sure I prefer Boudreau but our management doesn't seem to have a ringing endorsement of him. 

Cool the canucks are second in the league defensively 5v5.. is that because of the goalie? Or is that because of the way we play defensively?? 

We are over .600 since Boudreau got here.. we are also <.500 against playoff teams since Boudreau tookover..

So if Boudreau doesn't come back nothing wrong with going with trotz if they decide to go that way.. but you seem to have a personal bias/hatred towards the guy and just discount all his work in Washington. He plays defensive hockey in Nashville and New York..  so therefore Washington being able to score and play decent defense have nothing to do with trotz 

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Sure I prefer Boudreau but our management doesn't seem to have a ringing endorsement of him. 

Cool the canucks are second in the league defensively 5v5.. is that because of the goalie? Or is that because of the way we play defensively?? 

We are over .600 since Boudreau got here.. we are also <.500 against playoff teams since Boudreau tookover..

So if Boudreau doesn't come back nothing wrong with going with trotz if they decide to go that way.. but you seem to have a personal bias/hatred towards the guy and just discount all his work in Washington. He plays defensive hockey in Nashville and New York..  so therefore Washington being able to score and play decent defense have nothing to do with trotz 

No I find there’s a severe lack of appreciation from fans of what we already have and growing. 

Ready to trade everything and fire everyone all the time. 

Perpetual rebuilds. 

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

WOAH!

Hey look over here!!!

WOHHH!!!

Now look there!!!!

WOAAAAHHHH!!!!!

Weird, I wasn’t sleeping watching the Capitals win their 1st cup. 

13 minutes ago, Me_ said:

No I find there’s a severe lack of appreciation from fans of what we already have and growing. 

Perpetual rebuilds. 

Boudreau's contribution last season was great and obviously shouldn't be discounted, but I think a lot of this is going to depend on what's expected from him moving forward and what he expects for a contract. Therefore, one could argue that it's not a lack of appreciation but more wanting the team to be good moving forward. We also have had attachment issues the past decade, holding onto players and coaches much longer than what we probably should have done.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, Me_ said:

You talk as if Trotz is a downgrade, he is not. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Me_ said:

They are trying to build a perennial contender.  Success is more likely to be sustainable and repeatable if the process is sound. 

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

You talk as if Trotz is a downgrade, he is not. 

Trotz got better performance from arguably a weaker core then Boudreau had in Washington.  I'd still rather keep Boudreau as Trotz will likely have more appealing options, especially if Florida gets eliminated early.

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I have seen no one in this thread wanting to “blow it up” or not appreciative of Boudreau. In fact I have seen multiple, if Boudreau doesn’t sign we should consider Trotz. You’re creating an argument that doesn’t exist. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Perpetual rebuilds. 

no one said to get rid of bruce to bring in trotz but from the interview JR/PA gave they didn't seem to have a ringing endorsement for the work Boudreau have done... if bruce stays great.. if he doesn't wouldn't be surprising at all.

• Cheers 1

Outside of thinking about us, if I was an Islanders fan, I don't think I would be happy about this. It seems silly to me to fire a coach who clearly has made the team perform beyond expectations aside from this year. At the very least, it's rolling the dice, at worst, it'll make the team worse if they don't find a good enough replacement.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2