The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Islanders have fired head coach Barry Trotz

Rate this topic

Just now, DeNiro said:

Source?

Also I don’t think our current roster matches his style of coaching. Would be a square peg in a round hole situation.

650 is talking about it right now.  

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

I would see that as a lateral coaching move.  Just stick with Bruce - if in fact he wants to be here.  If some team offers BB multi-year deal though....

I would prefer to have Bruce back due to the success he's had with our group.  I wouldn't say it's a lateral move however.  Trotz is probably the better coach.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

I would see that as a lateral coaching move.  Just stick with Bruce - if in fact he wants to be here.  If some team offers BB multi-year deal though....

I think Trotz will have a lot of suitors.  

• Cheers 2

The New York Islanders fired head coach Barry Trotz on Monday after four seasons with the team.

Trotz guided the Islanders to the playoffs in each of his first three seasons with the Islanders, but couldn't overcome a slow start this year, finishing with a 37-35-10 record.

Clubs with coaching vacancies or considering a change will have Trotz high on their radar. However, some believe Trotz also has interest in jumping into a management role. What is certain is that he will have options to be considered. https://t.co/rpOVo0Jocb

— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) May 9, 2022

The Islanders reached the were eliminated from each of the past two postseasons in the third round by the Tampa Bay Lightning, who went on to win the Stanley Cup both years. 

Trotz joined the Islanders in 2018 after winning the Stanley Cup with the Washington Capitals. The 59-year-old won the Jack Adams Award for the second time in his first year with the Islanders.

A veteran of 23 seasons as an NHL head coach, Trotz had a 152-102-34 record with the Islanders. He has a career record of 914-670-60-168 over 1,812 games. 

More details to follow. 

https://www.tsn.ca/new-york-islanders-barry-trotz-1.1797165

Maybe this also helps nudge Boudreau into accepting his option year.

Trotz will be #1 on most team’s radar, and who knows what other good coaches shake out.

Not many jobs and you don’t want to be left without a seat when the music starts.

It is the first miscue I have seen from the management team.  Why not extend Bruce by a year to give him a little carrot for doing so well. This seems to be introducing risk for little reward.  A third coach in one year is a lot for players and Boudreau seems to have pressed all the right buttons.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I would prefer to have Bruce back due to the success he's had with our group.  I wouldn't say it's a lateral move however.  Trotz is probably the better coach.

All time reg season BB has better winning%.   PO Trotz has slightly better %.   Trots has a cup. Both have won Jack Adams.  It's close.   Bruce definitely earned another season here imo and JR already publicly said its Bruce's decision to stay or not - would be poor optics and low class to rescind that and go for Trotz - now if Bruce declines his extension,  that's different. 

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Provost said:

Maybe this also helps nudge Boudreau into accepting his option year.

Trotz will be #1 on most team’s radar, and who knows what other good coaches shake out.

Not many jobs and you don’t want to be left without a seat when the music starts.

It is the first miscue I have seen from the management team.  Why not extend Bruce by a year to give him a little carrot for doing so well. This seems to be introducing risk for little reward.  A third coach in one year is a lot for players and Boudreau seems to have pressed all the right buttons.  

Or it could mean NYI wants to open up a space to make an offer for Bruce.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

All time reg season BB has better winning%.   PO Trotz has slightly better %.   Trots has a cup. Both have won Jack Adams.  It's close.   Bruce definitely earned another season here imo and JR already publicly said its Bruce's decision to stay or not - would be poor optics and low class to rescind that and go for Trotz - now if Bruce declines his extension,  that's different. 

Agreed!  Better to bring back Bruce.  Trotz would be a fantastic consolation prize though.  I think the reputation is that Trotz has gotten more out of lesser teams while Bruce has not always been able to close the show with good teams in the playoffs.  For that reason I'd say that Trotz is stronger on paper.  

Crazy, he got so much out of that club.
This year had so many extenuating circumstances for the Islander’s I would give him a mulligan. 
If Bruce decides not to come back then this is the candidate to give the structure JR was talking about. 

• Vintage 1