The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Portable Air Conditioners - Junk or Effective?

Angry Goose

Hey folks,

So with last year’s heat dome I want to get ready just in case it happens again. Our animals did not enjoy it one bit (wife and I got a hotel w/ AC for a couple of nights just to keep them cool).  

We live in a 700 sq ft condo that has two levels.  The game plan is to keep the bedroom cool on the 2nd level. Unfortunately our bedroom window is crank style so Im not sure if a window style AC unit would work-and Im paranoid of that thing dropping a couple of levels.  

What are people’s experience w/ portable AC units? Junk?  If effective, anything you’d recommend?

Thanks in advance. 

From what little I know (and like most things, I know very little lol), portable air cons lose much of their effectiveness if not connected to a window via a hose to exchange the air.  I was dreaming of Cheryl Tiegs in Physics class so I missed out on the scientific explanation.:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some portables will come with 2 hose slots- one to push the hot air out-this needs to vent outside, or through your dryer vent; while the other can be a supply hose.

If you can get that hose to take in the coolest air in your place, or even out side if the hose is long enough,  it will take less time to get to max coolness.

If there is no air inlet hose, but instead a vent in the back of the unit- make sure to clean the filter every couple of days, easier on the machine that way.

You can also use a  spray bottle-set to mist, with cold water in it to spray the air inlet from time to time. The damp cool air will help the a/c a bit.

If it gets over 95 degrees Fahrenheit- do not use a fan, as hot blowing air, at that temp, is worse for you than still air.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

From what little I know (and like most things, I know very little lol), portable air cons lose much of their effectiveness if not connected to a window via a hose to exchange the air.  I was dreaming of Cheryl Tiegs in Physics class so I missed out on the scientific explanation.:P

A lot of us dreamed of Cheryl Tiegs back in the day.....

425_cheryl_tiegs_sports_illustrated.jpg

• Cheers 3

If I were in your shoes, I would try to find a way to make a window one work. Way cheaper and much more effective. My daughter and MIL both bought portables and for what they paid, they only marginally knock the heat down. Definitely couldn’t keep up last year. Both regret getting one. I’m in the middle of upgrading to central air as my son has a friend that installs on his evenings away from his HVAC job. Very much looking forward to that. 

• Like 1

Glorious, especially during last year's heat dome. Always appreciated when it gets too warm inside. We've had ours for a few years (Haier), and keep it in the bedroom. The plastic plate with the large hose doesn't fit perfectly in our window, but I just "Red Greened" it to make it work. Wouldn't be able to sleep during summer without it now. The dog also appreciates it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

If you don't get one with a dual hose system they can work poorly. We have a dual hose one and it works great, but they are more expensive but the air exchange is worth it as you have a much more balanced pressure in your home. Having said that, if you can't find one a single is better than nothing. 

You can get window seals on Amazon for pretty cheap to hook up your a/c so you don't just hang the hose out the window like a schmuck. 

https://www.amazon.ca/HOOMEE-Universal-Window-Portable-Conditioner/dp/B07BPZGJ3B/ref=sr_1_6?crid=88HA4FT6S3DI&keywords=air%2Bconditioning%2Bwindow%2Bcover&qid=1652217561&s=kitchen&sprefix=air%2Bconditioning%2Bwindow%2Bcover%2Ckitchen%2C350&sr=1-6&th=1

• Thanks 2

we use a floor model portable one with a hose and plastic panels in the bedroom, works great. 

on our main floor we use a 'vornado' whole room air circulator and that works quite effectively. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Got this one last year and it did a great job during that July heat wave:

https://www.costco.ca/danby-14%2C000-btu-ultra-quiet-portable-air-conditioner-with-voice-control-and-rapid-cooling.product.100715465.html

I won't cool an entire house/condo obviously, but if you are strategic where you place it, it works. 

Same here - it was enough to cool a bedroom and a half in our townhouse and that was good enough for us.

28 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Got this one last year and it did a great job during that July heat wave:

https://www.costco.ca/danby-14%2C000-btu-ultra-quiet-portable-air-conditioner-with-voice-control-and-rapid-cooling.product.100715465.html

I won't cool an entire house/condo obviously, but if you are strategic where you place it, it works. 

ooo I bought a similar one during the most recent black friday cuz I saw it on sale! Hoping to use it this coming summer's heatwave

Edited by DontMessMe

We have 2 window air conditioners in the 2 upstairs bedrooms.  Unfortunately they wont work with a crank window as they hang out the window.

They work fantastic though....can get the bedrooms down to 63 degrees in the summer at night and you need a comforter.

We did have a De'Longhi for the living room something like this but it died last summer.  Only 1 hose it was great.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Cheers 1