The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lawsuit Against Hockey Canada/CHL (2018 World Junior Team)

Rate this topic

12 hours ago, guntrix said:

The other thread was literally closed "to avoid speculation".

*Checks this thread* People speculating. 

You either open both or close both. It's pretty cut and dry. Being obtuse to defend Virtanen is so 5 years ago. 

If this board was about "censorship", your criticism about the mods would've resulted in a ban. People nowadays, such as yourself, throw around terms like "censorship" without having any clue about what it actually means.

On 7/20/2022 at 8:24 PM, King Heffy said:

There's also a possibility that a couple of the guys who issued statements are lying.

I think that is what he was pointing out.

As I said- until someone swears in front of a judge, that they were not involved, take any denials with a degree of doubt.

• Vintage 1

Police announce they have re opened the case:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/london-ont-police-to-reopen-criminal-probe-into-2018-sex-assault-claims-against-world-junior-team-members/ar-AAZS8zu?ocid=UCPNC2&bncnt=BroadcastNews_TopStories&cvid=f1dba46b30314973aee278b9e6f5d6ad

London, Ont., police are reopening a criminal investigation into an alleged sexual assault involving some members of the 2018 world junior hockey team who attended a Hockey Canada gala, the police chief said Friday.

Chief Steve Williams said a preliminary review announced Wednesday by the London Police Service to determine if anything was missed has determined a second look at the case is merited.

"A team of investigators were assigned and have conducted a preliminary review," said an afternoon statement from Williams. "Through this review, they have determined there are further investigative opportunities available to us, and as such, the criminal investigation has been reopened to allow those opportunities to be explored."

A criminal investigation into the allegations started in June 2018 and wrapped up eight months later with no changes filed.

Williams's statement Friday also said he would welcome a review by London's Violence Against Women Community Advocacy Group of how police handled the case.

Williams said he would not speak further about the case because it's again the subject of an active investigation. 

Appropriate information will be shared once the investigation has concluded." 

Earlier this year, it was revealed that Hockey Canada quietly reached an out-of-court settlement with a woman who alleged she was assaulted in a guest room at the Delta Armouries hotel in London in June 2018 by some members of the gold-medal-winning junior team.

The woman who made the assault allegations is now 24 years old. She was seeking $3.55 million in damages from Hockey Canada, the Canadian Hockey League and the unnamed players.

None of the allegations have been proven in court and details of the settlement have not been made public. 

But since news of the settlement broke, Hockey Canada has had its federal funding frozen with the government, saying it would only be reinstated once it discloses recommendations contained in an incomplete report by a third-party law firm hired to investigate the alleged incident four years ago.

On Monday, it was revealed an affidavit filed in an Ontario court case suggests Hockey Canada has maintained a fund to pay for uninsured liabilities, including sexual abuse claims.

Hockey Canada also announced as part of an open letter to Canadians that it intends to revive a dormant third-party investigation into the alleged sexual assault.

How does the London police force conclude “nothing to see here” initially and, now flop to there are further investigative opportunities. Starting  to think police go into ignore mode as soon as booze is mentioned. Bad look for them in my view.

• Cheers 2

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/other/hockey-canada-has-paid-7-6m-in-sex-abuse-settlements-since-1989/ar-AA101fnx?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=ddb5940d04444e27a8136ff7280bf8c3

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/other/hockey-canada-has-paid-7-6m-in-sex-abuse-settlements-since-1989/ar-AA101fnx?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=ddb5940d04444e27a8136ff7280bf8c3

OTTAWA — Hockey Canada says it has paid out $7.6 million in nine settlements related to sexual assault and sexual abuse claims since 1989, with $6.8 million of that related to serial abuser Graham James. 

The hockey governing body has been under fire since it was revealed the money in its multimillion-dollar National Equity Fund — which had been reserved for uninsured payments including sexual assault and sexual abuse claims — comes from player fees. 

The fund was also used to pay for the services of a law firm that has been investigating an alleged sexual assault in 2018 that has Hockey Canada officials before a committee of MPs this week. 

Sheldon Kennedy, an advocate for sexual abuse survivors and one of James’s victims, has called on Hockey Canada’s leadership to resign as a result of their handling of the allegations. 

MPs asked Hockey Canada president Scott Smith if he would step down.

Smith says he is prepared to take on the responsibility for change, but if Hockey Canada’s governance decides he is not the right person for the job, he will accept that.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 27, 2022.

On 7/26/2022 at 9:42 AM, Down by the River said:

Good. Playing for Team Canada is a privilege, not a right. Though, to correct the tweet a bit, I think it is that future refusal will result in bans, the bans won't be retroactive. 

That seems more like a desperation move from Hockey Canada to deflect attention more than anything.

On 7/20/2022 at 5:04 PM, Mustard Tiger said:

Why do people settle, Take the money.. Then have it brought back up years later? 

I'm I wrong to think atleast the victims party should be questioned on this?

I think you're wrong.  Hockey Canada had been paying off government-funded hush money to victims for decades.  But the secrets out now.  The sport of hockey is corrupt to the core and the world wants to hear what really happened.

It's not about money anymore.  When you are young and don't know anything and are alone, you take the hush money and move on.  But SA allegations can be dealt with in civil court AND criminal court.

If you still don't get it, look at it this way.  Jake Virtanen got acquitted in criminal court.  Had he been found guilty he would've had to serve jail time.  But he will also have to go to civil court, where money gets involved.

• Cheers 2

On 7/27/2022 at 9:28 AM, gurn said:

OTTAWA — Hockey Canada says it has paid out $7.6 million in nine settlements related to sexual assault and sexual abuse claims since 1989, with $6.8 million of that related to serial abuser Graham James. 

The hockey governing body has been under fire since it was revealed the money in its multimillion-dollar National Equity Fund — which had been reserved for uninsured payments including sexual assault and sexual abuse claims — comes from player fees. 

The fund was also used to pay for the services of a law firm that has been investigating an alleged sexual assault in 2018 that has Hockey Canada officials before a committee of MPs this week. 

Sheldon Kennedy, an advocate for sexual abuse survivors and one of James’s victims, has called on Hockey Canada’s leadership to resign as a result of their handling of the allegations. 

MPs asked Hockey Canada president Scott Smith if he would step down.

Smith says he is prepared to take on the responsibility for change, but if Hockey Canada’s governance decides he is not the right person for the job, he will accept that.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 27, 2022.

Graham James should have been given a lethal injection. 

• Vintage 1

49 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I think you're wrong.  Hockey Canada had been paying off government-funded hush money to victims for decades.  But the secrets out now.  The sport of hockey is corrupt to the core and the world wants to hear what really happened.

It's not about money anymore.  When you are young and don't know anything and are alone, you take the hush money and move on.  But SA allegations can be dealt with in civil court AND criminal court.

If you still don't get it, look at it this way.  Jake Virtanen got acquitted in criminal court.  Had he been found guilty he would've had to serve jail time.  But he will also have to go to civil court, where money gets involved.

Hopefully we can get to a stage where this sort of thing can be proven a hell of alot easier. Along with much harsher punishments 

I'm just saying if something goes from consensual at the time > accusations > payout to keep accusations quite > bringing it up again years later and winning for an even bigger payout. Atleast question if that route was taken in good faith. Any SA accusations that gets out now a days is 1000% guilty without question according to social media and I don't really agree with that approach

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Hopefully we can get to a stage where this sort of thing can be proven a hell of alot easier. Along with much harsher punishments 

I'm just saying if something goes from consensual at the time > accusations > payout to keep accusations quite > bringing it up again years later and winning for an even bigger payout. Atleast question if that route was taken in good faith. Any SA accusations that gets out now a days is 1000% guilty without question according to social media and I don't really agree with that approach

The timing of someone feeling comfortable enough to come forward should have no impact on whether or not to believe a person. It’s a traumatic experience and creates long term personal problems. Some people who experience atrocity will never ever be able to tell anyone they know let alone come out publicly with all the scrutiny that comes with it. The default position to believe the accuser now is because for decades the opposite was true, no one believed victims without evidence in a he said she said situation (or other gender vs gender they vs they combination options) and of course there wasn’t any, just two sides and two stories. It’s also far, far, far more likely the accused is lying then the accuser.

False accusations absolutely do happen and they shouldn’t and those accused shouldn’t have to deal with the scrutiny they get. The false accusers are doing a real disservice to actual victims of trauma. That said our end goal as a society should be to eradicate sexual assault/harassment/bad behaviour by making it socially unacceptable by creating public and personal backlash to those accused.

How best do we achieve that? Well we’ve got 3 options to us: 1) Take it case by case and never really say one way or another as most incidents take place between only two people without any evidence. These things rarely happen in public, predators know they need to have a person isolated 2) Always believe the accused unless proven otherwise missing 90% of the guilty people. 3) Always believe the accuser unless proven otherwise missing 10% of the false accusations.

There’s obviously no perfect answer and some good people do get caught up in lies and fabrications, but what other solution is there? No one will be truthful when accused of a crime if there’s no evidence to support the claim. So we’re left to decide on our own and because of that the vast majority of people have chosen option 3 as it’s the most likely to be the actual reality. That doesn’t mean it’s always right, but choosing option 2 means you’re mostly wrong and option 1 means we do nothing as a society towards stopping these horrific acts and creating a safer, better future.

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Why are you faulting the victims here?  How can you even think it was consensual?  I feel like you've already assumed that the accusers are just out for money.  Guess what?  The cover-ups?  It did happen.  The hush money?  It did get paid out.  Hockey Canada is screwed.

I think this has shown that NDAs in SA cases are always done in bad faith.  Instead of dealing with this issue and with the perpetrators, the top hockey organization in Canada decided to just cover it all up.  This was public money being hastily thrown at teenage girls.

It is abundantly clear to me at this point that non-consensual, sexual assault is rampant in hockey.  Hockey Canada was making settlements and forcing NDAs onto victims to get them to SHUT UP.  They basically did what Harvey Weinstein did - the only difference being it was public money.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Why are you faulting the victims here?  How can you even think it was consensual?  I feel like you've already assumed that the accusers are just out for money.  Guess what?  The cover-ups?  It did happen.  The hush money?  It did get paid out.  Hockey Canada is screwed.

I think this has shown that NDAs in SA cases are always done in bad faith.  Instead of dealing with this issue and with the perpetrators, the top hockey organization in Canada decided to just cover it all up.  This was public money being hastily thrown at teenage girls.

It is abundantly clear to me at this point that non-consensual, sexual assault is rampant in hockey.  Hockey Canada was making settlements and forcing NDAs onto victims to get them to SHUT UP.  They basically did what Harvey Weinstein did - the only difference being it was public money.

How do you force someone to sign an nda?

4 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Holy buddy I'm saying in general, NOT THIS SITUATION. Read my man

2 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

How do you force someone to sign an nda?

it would be pretty easy to apply a lot of pressure to someone to sign one. Its either that, or continue trying to deal with it in the courts, etc. I would imagine many people just want the whole thing over. So maybe not technically forced, but certainly coerced.