The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Charlie McAvoy to Vancouver

To Vancouver:  Charlie McAvoy $9.5M per year

To Boston:      J.T. Miller with 50% retention$2.625M per year with contract extension at $8.5M x 8 years

Tyler Myers with 50% retention $3M per year (assuming his limited no trade clause is not an impediment)

Analysis:       

Boston is not rebuilding. Boston needs cap space to resign Bergeron and acquire a legitimate #1 C. Having Bergeron and Miller will maintain Boston's contention window.

Boston needs healthy players to fill in and stay in the playoff race early in the season. 

Boston is currently allocating over $31M of its cap space on D. This is more than Vancouver, Tampa, Rangers and Colorado. Boston should reallocate cap space to forwards

McAvoy is a #1 RD and only 24, however he has already proven to be injury prone like the much older Chris Tanev. Any team retaining or acquiring McAvoy will risk not having their $9.5M #1 D available through all 4 rounds of the playoffs. 

Myers was a decent shutdown D for a team that missed the playoffs but had great average goals against per regular season game

If this deal is consummated, Vancouver would be spending a lot of its cap space on D. Also Vancouver will be dealing with possibly another Chris Tanev situation with regard to injuries. Vancouver would be a very top heavy team like the Vegas Golden Knights. 

Edited by Maddogy
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

We only have 1 retention spot left.............

Counter trade......................Quinn Hughes for Brad Marchand

Wouldn't do this under any circumstances. Yes, he has skill, but he's also a REALLY dirty player and often takes penalties that hurt his team at the worst possible times.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Wouldn't do this under any circumstances. Yes, he has skill, but he's also a REALLY dirty player and often takes penalties that hurt his team at the worst possible times.

You think I was serious........that  is so cute! :bigblush:

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Can't see Boston doing this. McAvoy is the cornerstone of their defense for years to come. Removing him, even for Miller and Myers, doesn't get them closer to winning a cup.

There are a lot of things that I do not understand about Boston. Why spend so much on their D core? Boston seems to neglect the 1C position the way Edmonton neglects their goalie situation. They could have used the assets in the Lindholm trade for a 1C. 

Edited by Maddogy

As much as I'd LOVE McAvoy, the only chance they're moving him, is if they're rebuilding and they'd be getting a top player, top prospect and 1st at a minimum

The only way we could do this would be to move Miller for some of those pieces and use them + to acquire McAvoy.

And again, only if they were rebuilding in the first place.

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I would be more worried about the 11.5 year age difference

3 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

You think I was serious........that  is so cute! :bigblush:

You're supposed to put a Winky thing in because, some of the S$#^ I see proposed on here is SOOOO out of this world crazy, you never know who's serious and who's just plain NUTS! 

:rolleyes:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Maddogy said:

To Vancouver:  Charlie McAvoy $9.5M per year

To Boston:      J.T. Miller with 50% retention$2.625M per year with contract extension at $8.5M x 8 years

Tyler Myers with 50% retention $3M per year (assuming his limited no trade clause is not an impediment)

Analysis:       

Boston is not rebuilding. Boston needs cap space to resign Bergeron and acquire a legitimate #1 C. Having Bergeron and Miller will maintain Boston's contention window.

Boston needs healthy players to fill in and stay in the playoff race early in the season. 

Boston is currently allocating over $31M of its cap space on D. This is more than Vancouver, Tampa, Rangers and Colorado. Boston should reallocate cap space to forwards

McAvoy is a #1 RD and only 24, however he has already proven to be injury prone like the much older Chris Tanev. Any team retaining or acquiring McAvoy will risk not having their $9.5M #1 D available through all 4 rounds of the playoffs. 

Myers was a decent shutdown D for a team that missed the playoffs but had great average goals against per regular season game

If this deal is consummated, Vancouver would be spending a lot of its cap space on D. Also Vancouver will be dealing with possibly another Chris Tanev situation with regard to injuries. Vancouver would be a very top heavy team like the Vegas Golden Knights. 

Boston will not trade there best D man if there not in rebuild...

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Love McAvoy.

Miller + Rathbone + 15 OA for McAvoy works for us! 

Get 'er done JR. 

Create the cap space by letting Brock walk to Free agency and trading Garland for picks.

Would never do that...Miller for trade package involving young RD, roster player , top prospect, 2nd round pick..

Not trading 1sr rounder again this year..Big no.....

So a team with an aging core is going to trade away one of their younger elite d-men for two older players? Even if Boston isn't rebuilding, I don't see why Boston would do this. 

McAvoy would probably require minimum a package Buffalo got for Eichel.

Think of something like

Garland + Podkolzin (or let's say even Rathbone) + a 1st round pick + 2nd round pick and even then Boston will ask for more.