The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Nicklas Backstrom could be done?

Looks like Nicklas Backstrom may be done - opening up another potential suitor for Horvat or Miller should the Canucks decide to move one of them.

He's 34 turning 35 this year, and has had the same hip surgery that Kesler underwent in 2019 (and never played again). Jovo had the same surgery, returned, played 39 games and then retired. So clearly its a very serious repair for hockey players, and given his age, and apparently what often takes at least a year of rehab, I would be surprised if he comes back.

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1538268431052578817?s=20&t=8JJS7hWN6l0f-L9cvwnHWg

Do we like any Caps prospects?

Edited by NucknAsia
  • Thanks 2

If we sign and trade Miller to them, 1st + either Eller (3rd line defensive C)/ Jensen (31 year old mobile RHD) + some of McMichael (versatile scoring forward prospect)/ Lapierre (ELC playmaking C)/ Protas (6'6" prospect playmaking winger)/ Alexeyev (big project LHD at 6'6", 22 years old) would have to be the return, and we might have to be pretty futures-focused in the return (since they'll still consider themselves as contenders if they trade for Miller, they won't trade someone like Orlov who's probably reasonably priced at $5.1 million, and their other big-ticket forwards are too expensive and valuable for their core). 

Would be the end of an era if Backstrom does retire (though Kuznetsov can certainly carry the #1 C role).  

3 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

If we sign and trade Miller to them, 1st + either Eller (3rd line defensive C)/ Jensen (31 year old mobile RHD) + some of McMichael (versatile scoring forward prospect)/ Lapierre (ELC playmaking C)/ Protas (6'6" prospect playmaking winger)/ Alexeyev (big project LHD at 6'6", 22 years old) would have to be the return, and we might have to be pretty futures-focused in the return (since they'll still consider themselves as contenders if they trade for Miller, they won't trade someone like Orlov who's probably reasonably priced at $5.1 million, and their other big-ticket forwards are too expensive and valuable for their core). 

Would be the end of an era if Backstrom does retire (though Kuznetsov can certainly carry the #1 C role).  

any del to Washington would start with Tom Wilson and their 2023 first rounder for me.  I don't really see a fit with Washington though, they just don't have much to offer

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Always the bridesmaid never the bride. 

He was never gonna outshine Ovi but he's deserved more attention than he's got. Without Backstrom who knows how many goals Ovi'd be at.

But it's not as if there haven't been perks. ;) 

Backstrom gets Stanley Cup first from Ovechkin after Capitals win

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Caps have prospects??? It's pretty much a wasteland after Hendrix Lapierre.

Unfortunate about Backstrom always liked him. 

Caps don't have many exciting prospects ..They have Lapierre 20, 6'0- C - ranked 31NHL prospect watch, D man Iorio,19,  6'4--( Alexeyev 22- 6'4 D man)

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

any del to Washington would start with Tom Wilson and their 2023 first rounder for me.  I don't really see a fit with Washington though, they just don't have much to offer

yeah looking though the cap friendly page doesn't really make me interested in anything WSH has to offer... maybe unprotected 1st in 2023 and this years 1st?

WSH is picking 20th, might be a decent player there for us but this deal really would be all futures.

Coming back from hip resurfacing to play in the NHL just isn't in the cards, he's done. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

Probably would be a good asset to trade, though I'm not sure they do it (isn't he pretty beloved in Washington?).
Also not sure how well someone dirty like him would fit in here (though he could belong in the category of "love to play him, hate to play against him").

1 minute ago, Phil_314 said:

Probably would be a good asset to trade, though I'm not sure they do it (isn't he pretty beloved in Washington?).
Also not sure how well someone dirty like him would fit in here (though he could belong in the category of "love to play him, hate to play against him").

he'd instantly be a fan favourite

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, stawns said:

Wilson unfortunately is only signed for 2 more seasons though. 

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

Caps have prospects??? It's pretty much a wasteland after Hendrix Lapierre.

Unfortunate about Backstrom always liked him. 

Yeah, I was surprised to see that they still had their 1st for this year.

1 hour ago, KKnight said:

Wilson unfortunately is only signed for 2 more seasons though. 

Yeah, but people around here are anticipating a big payoff for just one year of Horvat and/or Miller.

Now, 2 years of Wilson isn't as good as perhaps 4 years of Wilson (as part of a package), but if he plays well then perhaps he could be flipped to someone else making a playoff run.

regards,  G.

A shame if Backstrom is done.  Best player of his draft class.

He's got 50 or so less points than Henrik Sedin in 300 or so less games.  Stanley Cup winner...should be a shoe in for the HHOF.  I think Backstrom will be remembered in the same realm as Henrik Zetterberg, Mats Sundin, Peter Forsberg, Kent Nillson, Niklas Lidstrom, Daniel Aflredsson, and of course, Henrik/Daniel Sedin. 

If Pettersson can put together a solid 82 game season for the next 10 seasons, he may have a shot a joining this elite group.

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1