The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrei Kuzmenko | #96 | LW

-AJ-

8 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

With Kuzmenko, who leaves?

I don’t know enough about Kuzmenko to predict, but I know that the Pens have been excellent at identifying players that can gain more out of star players, a fundamental weakness with the Canucks, in their history, to put serious effort and or results in getting the right linemates for out best talent.

I hope that signing Kuz means that we work toward rolling 3 solid offensive lines.

EP, Miller Horvat down the middle, Boeser, Garland, Pods, Kuz, Hoglander, and another scoring winger via trade/UFA.  

I like our 4th with Highmore, Lammikko, Lockwood, with Richardson/Chiasson as spares.

I guess this means we move Pearson, who I think could get a late 2nd, or 3rd, and Dickinson, who will provide little return.  I'd personally go after Phil Kessel on a cheap deal to round it out the forward group.

We would then have some money to work through our Defense, and hopefully add a top 4 RD, and 3rd pairing LD.  

If they re-sign everyone, somehow

Kuzmenko - Miller - Podkolzin

Pearson - Pettersson - Boeser

Hoglander - Horvat - Garland

That's a pretty good Top 9, but I suspect there will be trades.  Maybe they re-sign Miller and trade Pearson and Garland. 

Miller would be great with the Russians on his wings, giving them a lot of scoring opportunities and just learning from him.

8 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

@Dazzle requests that kuzy is placed in the prospect section rather than current roster.

I'm a wait and see person, unlike some people who are ready to sell Boeser for an unproven player. :rolleyes:

I wish Kuzmenko the best. I'd love it for Pod and Kuz to flourish together.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

If they re-sign everyone, somehow

Kuzmenko - Miller - Podkolzin

Pearson - Pettersson - Boeser

Hoglander - Horvat - Garland

That's a pretty good Top 9, but I suspect there will be trades.  Maybe they re-sign Miller and trade Pearson and Garland. 

Miller would be great with the Russians on his wings, giving them a lot of scoring opportunities and just learning from him.

I could see JR going after Kapanen.  Kap would look good in that Garland spot.  A really good PK guy too. 

8 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

@Dazzle requests that kuzy is placed in the prospect section rather than current roster.

Yeah it's all sort of a weird mix right now anyway, since we don't have any actual player rosters. They'll be more sorted out once the regular season begins.

Stoked to welcome this player to the Canucks alum. I like speed and forechecking seems like he excellent in these areas. Hopefully he transitions to the NHL well and we have a player. I'd be pleased if he can hang on the 3rd and put up 25-35 points. 

Edited by hammertime

The ability to roll 3 good lines will be imperative if we want to compete with the better teams in the league.  That’s why players like Hoglander and Kuzmenko and Garland are so valuable, they won’t cost a tone of money and yet they’ll be great depth scoring.  

I have the 3 top lines looking like this.  

Garland - Miller - Boeser

Kuzmenko - Petey - Podkolzin

Hoglander - Horvat - Pearson (or Chiasson)

if Pearson gets moved then Chiasson with Petey and Kuzmenko and Pods with Horvat and Hoglander.  

They need to move Dickinson and solve the Ferland situation to free up 6 mill and go from there.  Pearson plays heavy minutes and he’s solid defensively, he’ll be harder to replace than you think. 

Edited by Pure961089

Was just thinking about whether a Kuzmenko comparable could be Mikael Samuelsson (who was recently hired by the Canucks)?

Kuzmenko is smaller and seems to be a better skater than Samuelsson, but both seem to be guys who have very good vision, are great at possessing the puck, and who have solid shots that back up an excellent playmaking game.  I remember the addition of Samuelsson as being a significant add that made the Canucks' top-9 at the time much more dangerous.  Samuelsson had a longer history of NHL success when he joined the Canucks, but I'm hoping Kuzmenko can have a similar impact.

• Like 2

I am nervous about this player and his transition...I think this puts a hold on any trade discussions (other than Boeser) until they see where he slots in. My best guess is middle 6, possible replacement (upgrade) on Pearson. My nervousness stems from the Tryamkin experiment...kid demanded to be a top4D when he really only showed top6D potential...and maybe could grow from there. But his unwillingness to wait out the training / apprenticeship timeline to play in the NHL, and instead bolt to be a Top4D in the KHL, has me concerned. What if the best Kuzmenko can manage is to be a 3rd liner in the NHL? Is this a one and done deal or would he be happy knowing his place (ie/ is he in it for the team or for himself)? Time will tell, but again because of that unknown factor, this may put off any trade discussions...can't dump a certain player when you don't know who will be replacing him. Here's hoping we bump over the curve by having middle 6 players signed to team friendly contracts (Luke, Kuz, Hogs and Podz) allowing us to go all in soon (our window)...

People are sleeping on Karlsson a little bit in these lineup scenarios.

He had an almost-comparable season in an almost-comparable league, but he did so as a much younger player than Kuzmenko.

I feel like adding both Kuzmenko and Karlsson gives us cap flexibility to keep all our stars, if we can just ship out Pearson and Dickinson.

Kuzmenko Miller Boeser

Podkolzin Horvat Garland

Karlsson Pettersson Hoglander

or 

Pettersson Miller Boeser

Kuzmenko Horvat Garland

Podkolzin Karlsson Hoglander

I wonder how Bruce will deploy Kuz, I think we played our best hockey last year when we rolled 3 lines - teams just couldn't match up against us. Petey sucked at the time then got his swagger back playing with Podkolzin and when he did, they were matched up against team's 3rd pairings. I think if we roll 3 lines with Kuzmenko on our "3rd line" playing with Petey, he'll get his wish, and it'll be an easier transition rather than playing on our top lines against better defencemen.

Pearson - Horvat - Hoglander

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Podkozlin

Highmore - Lammikko - Dickinson

I think regardless of where he plays, he'll start with around 13-15 minutes a night and go up or down depending on his play. 

Here are the things I have heard from the same people on the tube that have watched Kuzmenko, he has an intence work ethic and great shot.  He is a good size and can find the spots to be ready for a pass really well, and a late bloomer. 

The work ethic and his former teammates work ethics on display for us last season in Vasily make for a positive outlook. 

this is Rutherford’s and Alvins work that went to us instead of Pittsburgh. 

If the Pens had just picked up Kuzmenko, everyone would slagging whomever was our GM at the time for missing an opportunity, now we get, lower expectations and Debbie downer statements… 

are you not entertained?  Isn’t this exactly why Rutherford was hired…?  

Edited by Phat Fingers

On 6/23/2022 at 3:18 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

I wonder how Bruce will deploy Kuz, I think we played our best hockey last year when we rolled 3 lines - teams just couldn't match up against us. Petey sucked at the time then got his swagger back playing with Podkolzin and when he did, they were matched up against team's 3rd pairings. I think if we roll 3 lines with Kuzmenko on our "3rd line" playing with Petey, he'll get his wish, and it'll be an easier transition rather than playing on our top lines against better defencemen.

I think regardless of where he plays, he'll start with around 13-15 minutes a night and go up or down depending on his play. 

Kuzmenko makes Pearson very costly and can be the same if not better type of player.  Pearson has a large body and can skate… so hard to say but I see  Podz on Millers wing, Petterson and Horvats spots are interchangeable Boeser is with either Horvat or Pettersson, but the run of Podz Garland and Miller was so good at creating turnovers in the forecheck, why would you ever split them up..

Even making a super pest line with Garland Horvat and Podz, providing that someone makes Horvat slightly edgier… it would be fantastic at creating offensive draws where Petey can slide into a double shift on Horvat wing… so many combos with the line up hard to defend players… 

the return for any Miller trade better be huge, cause next season could be worth losing him at the end… or paying to keep him anyways…

also that fourth Line is affordable even with Dickinson… how much was the last one… lol. 

hoglander… drops a line Pods goes up two

Just now, MrCanuck94 said:

He reminds me more of a bigger Garland with his edge work, evasiveness and passing ability. Work ethic checks out too.

Garland is a very good comparison.  When I watched Pods playing in the KHL Kuzmenko stood out below the dots.  

On 6/23/2022 at 11:18 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

If both Miller and Pearson are here come September, it's a lock they're on the same line.  Pearson makes Miller a top 5-10 player in the league and Bruce isn't gonna split them up.  Honestly, if there is anyone I'd be fine with losing, it'd be Garland.  He's got really good edgework and puck handling, however if last year showed us anything he has absolutely no shot, and very little vision providing little chemistry with his teammates.  He's like a Horvat except he can't shoot which is really bad because while he can generate these chances for himself, he is not gonna produce without having a good finish.  I feel like his only match is by being on the right wing with maybe Horvat and Kuzmenko (but I still don't feel like that's a good fit).  He's really in a bad spot cause I don't think there's anywhere on the roster he fits unlike Pearson who excels on both Miller's and Horvat's line and who knows if he could be good with Petey as well.  It's a 5 mill hole for a player who isn't on the 1PP or kills penalties, and while he generates a lot of chances 5 on 5, he is able to finish very few of them.  Pearson on the other hand, while like Garland has very little finishing, is able to find others with much better finishing to finish chances and he also kills penalties for 2 mill less than Garland.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

He reminds me more of a bigger Garland with his edge work, evasiveness and passing ability. Work ethic checks out too.

54 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Garland is a very good comparison.  When I watched Pods playing in the KHL Kuzmenko stood out below the dots.  

Watching a highlight reel also made me think of Garland, but a bit bigger. We'll see how his agility can stand up in the NHL.

• Upvote 1