The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2 suspects dead, police search for 3rd after 6 officers injured in shooting at Saanich (Victoria), B.C., bank

nuckin_futz

2 suspects dead, police search for 3rd after 6 officers injured in shooting at Saanich, B.C., bank

Police warn people to avoid the area around the 3600-block of Shelbourne Street, some homes being evacuated

UPDATE — June 28, 2022, 4 p.m. PT: Police say two suspects are dead and several members of the Greater Victoria Emergency Response Team are in hospital following an exchange of gunfire in what they are describing as an "ongoing incident" at a bank in Saanich, B.C.

In a media briefing, Saanich police said two armed men entered a bank on Shelbourne Street at approximately 11 a.m Tuesday and multiple officers responded. Police say the men fired at police and were shot and killed at the scene.

Six officers were shot and taken to hospital, some of whom have serious injuries and are in surgery.

Police said no bank employees, customers or members of the public are believed to have been injured.

EARLIER STORY:

A shelter in place advisory remains in effect for the area of North Dairy Rd. to Cedar Hill Cros Rd. and Richmond Rd. to Cedar Hill Rd. as officials continue to search for a potential third suspect.

Original story below.

Police in Saanich, B.C., near Victoria, say multiple people have been injured after an exchange of gunfire between suspects and police officers.

The police department says two suspects are in custody, and officers are searching the area for a possible additional suspect.

The department says in a statement on Twitter that officers had initially been responding to a report of armed suspects at a Bank of Montreal in the 3600-block of Shelbourne Street.

In a tweet, the Saanich Police Department says its officers are evacuating homes and businesses nearby due to the presence of a potential explosive device. 

Police have issued a "shelter in place" advisory for the area of North Dairy Road to Cedar Hill X Road and Richmond Road to Cedar Hill Road and are asking people to avoid the area.

B.C. Emergency Health Services says five people have been taken to hospital, but paramedics remain on scene. 

The Bank of Montreal told CBC in an emailed statement that it is aware of the incident and the safety of its staff and customers continues to be a priority.

saanich-bank-shooting.jpg
Saanich Police block off the area in the 3600 block of Shelbourne Street where multiple people were injured after an exchange of gunfire at a bank. (Michael McCarthur/CBC)

Cleo Gagner was getting into her car with her young son after visiting a nearby veterinarian's office when she said she heard up to 50 gunshots from different guns and said it sounded like automatic gunfire.

"It was terrifying." 

"I've heard a gunshot or two before; I've never heard that many."

She said a police vehicle pulled up beside her, an officer jumped out with his gun drawn, and the police presence continued to escalate.

Gagner said she and her son went back into the vet's office, where they sheltered in place with others.

Christopher Lee Ford, who lives near the bank, said he also heard dozen of shots. 

"My daughter was doing some school work at the table, and all of a sudden, you just hear a hail of bullets," he said.

He said his family has evacuated the area and plans to stay with family in another neighbourhood for the night.

Joan Flood lives across the street from the BMO.

She said after she heard the first gunshot she looked out her window to see police running across the front of the bank with their guns drawn. 

"At that time then there were a lot of shots, lots and lots. I would say it was automatic fire because they had big guns, they didn't have handguns."

Flood said she saw a person come out from behind the bank. 

"They were bent over a little bit, then they crawled for a bit, then they lay there. . . very soon it was all over except for the person lying on the ground who was there for quite a while."

During a news conference this afternoon, Premier John Horgan expressed his concern for the people in the area. 

"My thoughts are with those who have been affected by violence in my home community on Vancouver Island," he said, adding that Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth will have more to say about the situation as information becomes available.

Saanich police are asking anyone with video footage of the incident to send it to them through their evidence submission portal.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

Crazy video of the shootout: https://streamable.com/cnal52

I never thought I'd see something like this in Victoria. Gotta say I'm impressed with the quick and strong police response, and that no civilians were injured. Those cops rushing in were damn brave. Unlike the recent school shooting in Texas - that still boils my blood.

I hope all the officers make speedy recoveries, although I fear with that many shots fired, there may be serious or even fatal injuries.

Yup.  Those police officers are true heroes.  Running into gun fire knowingly is insanely courageous.  Glad our good guys dropped two of the bad guys too.  

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

My wife heard a cop has died. Anyone hear that?

What brave dudes. Way to go Vic PD. 

Proud of you guys. 

All reports so far have been two officers in surgery in serious condition.  

Also, it was the Greater Victoria Emergency Response Team.  Reports are that three Victoria officers and three Saanich officers were shot.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

All reports so far have been two officers in surgery in serious condition.  

Also, it was the Greater Victoria Emergency Response Team.  Reports are that three Victoria officers and three Saanich officers were shot.

Thanks, what a day for those officers. Looked like some real courage in the videos.

• Like 1

Stuff like this happens in the US all the time, but not so much here. 

It has always seemed crazy to me when a group of people collaborate to do this and agree it's an all-or-nothing act. No sense of empathy for others whatsoever.

I blame film and the glorification of violence, power and money.

And, of course Marilyn Manson.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, spur1 said:

Starting to look like the 20’s again. Trump has indeed turned back the clock. 

No kidding. Hope we get to talk about him again.

The mods here at CDC are top tier. My only guess is that they are cleaning up some of the meme's in those threads that used some language?  I really get a lot out of the CDC's perspective on some of these very important topics. 

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, dominicanbob said:

Proving your stupidity daily. Nothing to do with Trump, nothing to do with the USA. 

There could be a connection to the USA.  Are not a lot of the guns used in crimes up here smuggled in from the US? 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

I don't think it's all that important to compare this with the US. Yes, this sort of thing happens there more often than it does here, but the "Cops and Robbers" shootouts aren't the main area of concern in America...it's the 18 year old kids getting ahold of high powered weapons and shooting up schools...it's the radicalized racists and Incels shooting up malls and grocery stores...it's the gangs shooting it out in clubs....it's toddlers getting their hands on improperly secured firearms and accidentally shooting themselves, or someone else....

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2