The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Brad Hunt, Nic Petan to test free agency

5 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I thought the line this summer was this management would overcook the young guys in the ahl instead of rushing them?

Probably more along the lines of avoiding last year where Green was allowed to cut younger players who showed promise and gift unearned roster spots to AHL trash.

• Vintage 1

I wish both BC boys luck, but this is the right move for the organization to make by not retaining them. Need to give younger D like Rathbone that final NHL roster spot or else he fore sure gets nab on waivers this fall. Petan, is nothing more than an AHL or European league hockey player. He had the point totals in junior but it didn't translate to the NHL and he didn't change his game to try and be effective in the NHL like a former Canuck Tyler Motte.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

They can say that all they want, but guys can only cook so long before they require waivers.  Rathbone has this season and then he’s either on the big club or he’s gone.  So he will get opportunities this season that Hunt was blocking.  If management thinks he’s not an NHL guy this season, then they will trade him.  Can’t have a guy like Hunt in the way of providing that opportunity for Rathbone.  

18 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Probably more along the lines of avoiding last year where Green was allowed to cut younger players who showed promise and gift unearned roster spots to AHL trash.

Yeah, I’m not making a case one way or the other (about playing young guys) but I just remember that being talked about by Rutherford or Allvin.  One of those two. 

FWIW it does look like it’s Rathbone’s spot to lose this season - but we’ll still have a veteran #7 to be signed at bare minimum.  I wouldn’t even mind Hunt as he’s a good “team” guy even if I’d prefer he wasn’t in the starting 6.

Edited by ilduce39

Hunt did very well for us but I'm happy that we're moving on from both of them. 

Good job by the organization to let them know of their plans ahead of time and let them talk to other teams.  

Aman, Linus, Kuzmenko all slide into forward spots ahead of Nic Petan. 

Hunt opens up more playing time for Rathbone/Dermott/Burroughs. 

Loving all the moves so far except for losing Brad Shaw. 

42 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Look at literally any beer league game and there are multiple players who are less of a liability then Hunt.  He is worse than useless and getting rid of him is addition by subtraction.  Very grateful that he won't be able to handicap the team with his pitiful excuse for defensive play next year.

I played in two of the top beer leagues in Greater Vancouver in the 70's and 80's, there wasn't ONE defenseman that could have played a shift in the NHL, let alone get into an NHL dressing room to try and play at that level. I doubt that has changed since then, so start scouting champ.

2 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

I played in two of the top beer leagues in Greater Vancouver in the 70's and 80's, there wasn't ONE defenseman that could have played a shift in the NHL, let alone get into an NHL dressing room to try and play at that level. I doubt that has changed since then, so start scouting champ.

And Hunt also has zero business playing a single shift in the NHL.  Any team who allows him to disgrace their franchise by allowing him to dress owes their fans an apology.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

And Hunt also has zero business playing a single shift in the NHL.  Any team who allows him to disgrace their franchise by allowing him to dress owes their fans an apology.

Close to a 10 year NHL career, you should be expecting an apology very soon then.

• Haha 2

Just now, johngould21 said:

Close to a 10 year NHL career, you should be expecting an apology very soon then.

And at no point has he shown any sign that he could handle that level, even in an emergency.  Just hoping we don't replace this useless pylon with another defenceman who can't play defence.