The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sharks name Mike Grier as GM

Rate this topic

Great as far as breaking down barriers and being progressive.... Things are changing in the right direction... But before I get to excited.  How much experience does Grier have in management?

Edit: operations advisor for Rangers since may 2021...  And various coaching jobs before...

Edited by Hogs & Podz

3 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Great as far as breaking down barriers and being progressive.... Things are changing in the right direction... But before I get to excited.  How much experience does Grier have in management?

He was a hockey ops guy with the Rangers and has some coaching experience as an assistant coach 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Odd. said:

He was a hockey ops guy with the Rangers and has some coaching experience as an assistant coach 

As well as some scouting experience.  Pretty well rounded and certainly more qualified than some of the guys who have gotten the GM position.  Wish him as much luck as I can given the fact that the Sharks are still in our division.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Edit: operations advisor for Rangers since may 2021...  And various coaching jobs before...

Mike's brother Chris Grier is the GM of the Miami Dolphins so even if Mike's management experience is limited, he has family connections to people who have held the same job in different sports.

Also, I bet you this opens the floodgates for the NHL. Kevin Weekes has come close to several GM jobs (Penguins, Panthers come to mind), won't be shocked to see Weekes get a GM job in the next 1-3 years.

6 hours ago, Quantum said:

Mike's brother Chris Grier is the GM of the Miami Dolphins so even if Mike's management experience is limited, he has family connections to people who have held the same job in different sports.

Also, I bet you this opens the floodgates for the NHL. Kevin Weekes has come close to several GM jobs (Penguins, Panthers come to mind), won't be shocked to see Weekes get a GM job in the next 1-3 years.

He's far more qualified than the guys in Toronto and Montreal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

He's far more qualified than the guys in Toronto and Montreal.

How he'll do will depend on the type of assistants or auxilory support staff he is surrounded with.  Else if he's like Jim Benning (rookie NHL GM) put with rookie President & rookie head coach; it might not be all that successful for a period of time.  Unfortunately for us, Pat Quinn passed away.  I think Benning would've had a far easier time had he some veteran guy behind the scenes "easing him in" (aiding Linden as well).

Super happy for Grier and his historic accomplishment, but at the same time, I'm equally concerned about him being put in a position to fail because of the cap situation he's inherited.  The Sharks' contract situation is certainly among the worst in the league

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Report] Sharks name Mike Grier as GM