The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Speculation in Pittsburgh: Letang to stay (update: signed), Malkin to walk. Both seeking 3+ year deals.

33 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I agree Hextall is probably kicking tires. Do they have the pieces to make the deal though?

Marino, Kap's rights, a 1st 2022 for Miller isn't enough IMO. Pens also don't have their 2nd or 3rd this year so Hextall may not be willing to move their 1st. I like Poulin but his rookie pro year didn't prove much. Hallander or Heinen could be throw-ins, but they have little value. Teddy Blueger is an A+ PKer on a decent AAV who could fill the 3C role, but only for one more year then UFA.

It's hard to see how it would fit, unless Hextall is willing to move 2 1sts (doubtful)

Marino, Kapanen's rights, Blueger, 1st 2022, 1st 2023, Hallander for Miller, Pearson and a mid pick? Doesn't seem quite right for either team, and deals with 8 assets rarely happen.

It's hard for me to picture a path forward with Miller to the Pens, although it does seem like Miller would be a Hextall/Burke type target

Remove Pearson and Kapanen and I'm up for it.

33 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I agree Hextall is probably kicking tires. Do they have the pieces to make the deal though?

Marino, Kap's rights, a 1st 2022 for Miller isn't enough IMO. Pens also don't have their 2nd or 3rd this year so Hextall may not be willing to move their 1st. I like Poulin but his rookie pro year didn't prove much. Hallander or Heinen could be throw-ins, but they have little value. Teddy Blueger is an A+ PKer on a decent AAV who could fill the 3C role, but only for one more year then UFA.

It's hard to see how it would fit, unless Hextall is willing to move 2 1sts (doubtful)

Marino, Kapanen's rights, Blueger, 1st 2022, 1st 2023, Hallander for Miller, Pearson and a mid pick? Doesn't seem quite right for either team, and deals with 8 assets rarely happen.

It's hard for me to picture a path forward with Miller to the Pens, although it does seem like Miller would be a Hextall/Burke type target

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

Marino as the main piece doesn't move the needed for me, at all - and I hope I misinterpreted you and your actually joking,  no disrespect.  And people clamoring for Kapanen in the deal (which is a pkg I've heard too often I'm worried about it) seem to overlook he was outscored by Pearson who played less gm's and for whatever reason people want to get rid of Pearson at any cost?   

I see a need on the Pens side,  but  not necessary a match with the elite assets Miller should be commanding in return. 

But that's just me, I'm in favor of 'quality over quantity ' in any Miller deal.

I hear ya, but I'm trying to be realistic.

Quality >>>>> Quantity, no doubt about it.  However, I think a lot of people are going after assets that simply will not be made available by the teams involved. 

NYR:  Schneider?  Nope.

NJD:  2OA?  Nope.

Colorado:  Byram.  Nope.

Boston:  Carlo/Lysell.  Nope.

etc etc.

If Miller was 3 years younger and locked into term, then yeah, ask for the moon.  At this stage for a contender, Miller is likely a rental piece.  If you can get a Top 4 RHD, a middle 6 winger, an A-tier prospect (Poulin is a 1st round pick), and a B-tier prospect (Hallander is a 2nd round pick)... then I think we should seriously consider it.

Just an FYI, how did Pearson do in 2020-21 vs Kapanen?  That was just 1 year ago.  Kapanen hasn't even hit his prime years yet.

23 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Lundkvist and Kravtsov don't appeal to me.  Schneider seems to be relatively untouchable from the NYR perspective.  Kakko would be an interesting one.

TBL isn't gonna go for Miller when they're already in cap hell.  If anything, they probably need to move one more higher priced player out.

Colorado isn't gonna sell the farm.  Their biggest need will be to replace Kadri, but then again, they basically won without him for most of the playoffs. 

NJD would likely not have a ton of interest in Miller.  I bet they'd be more interested in Garland.  There's also Forsberg out there.

I'll be surprised if Miller lands a super package that includes an A+ tier prospect, another top tier prospect, and a 1st, and a 2nd.  Problem is there aren't many A+ tier prospects even available for trade most of the time.

The one issue I have with a 1st round pick being a MUST have piece in a trade is that the player will be 18 years old and drafted in the late 1st round.  Likely means several years before they even get a sniff of NHL time.  By the time the drafted prospect hits prime years (ie. 26 or 27), Hughes and Petey will be in their early 30s, and Horvat will be ready to retire lmao.

21 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Alright I'll give Hextall a shout y'all

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Agree with you, those trades would make Pittsburgh weaker... I don't think they will go for it by trading away their important dmen and forwards. 

Getting 20-something overall pick(s) for JT isn't enough. Kapanen is nothing special. 

The real trade value of Miller is achieved once we retain half of his already low contract.

Then teams can add a terrific player for this year, for very cheap and a small cap-hit.

Plus, they can more or less 'ignore' the long-term implications of re-signing JT, and become just part of the market for UFAs if they want to.

Retaining 50% puts Miller back in the discussion for all the teams who expect success in the playoffs.

These teams might also like to move a couple players off their rosters, enabling them to bulk up elsewhere, or just re-up their best guys.

So it makes it more possible to get a decent mix of players, prospects, and picks for Vancouver.

For example, at top 3C, a young RHD, a late first and a second.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

The real trade value of Miller is achieved once we retain half of his already low contract.

Then teams can add a terrific player for this year, for very cheap and a small cap-hit.

Plus, they can more or less 'ignore' the long-term implications of re-signing JT, and become just part of the market for UFAs if they want to.

Retaining 50% puts Miller back in the discussion for all the teams who expect success in the playoffs.

These teams might also like to move a couple players off their rosters, enabling them to bulk up elsewhere, or just re-up their best guys.

So it makes it more possible to get a decent mix of players, prospects, and picks for Vancouver.

For example, at top 3C, a young RHD, a late first and a second.

Yep.  

Management would have to get a little creative carving out space for next season but this would be totally worth it long term.

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

Yep.  

Management would have to get a little creative carving out space for next season but this would be totally worth it long term.

And it is only the one year of eating Mill's 50%, and even that is what?  About 2.65?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Lundkvist and Kravtsov don't appeal to me.  Schneider seems to be relatively untouchable from the NYR perspective.  Kakko would be an interesting one.

TBL isn't gonna go for Miller when they're already in cap hell.  If anything, they probably need to move one more higher priced player out.

Colorado isn't gonna sell the farm.  Their biggest need will be to replace Kadri, but then again, they basically won without him for most of the playoffs. 

NJD would likely not have a ton of interest in Miller.  I bet they'd be more interested in Garland.  There's also Forsberg out there.

I'll be surprised if Miller lands a super package that includes an A+ tier prospect, another top tier prospect, and a 1st, and a 2nd.  Problem is there aren't many A+ tier prospects even available for trade most of the time.

The one issue I have with a 1st round pick being a MUST have piece in a trade is that the player will be 18 years old and drafted in the late 1st round.  Likely means several years before they even get a sniff of NHL time.  By the time the drafted prospect hits prime years (ie. 26 or 27), Hughes and Petey will be in their early 30s, and Horvat will be ready to retire lmao.

Kakko sucks, this guy has one of the worst shots I’ve ever seen 

7 hours ago, HKSR said:

I proposed Miller and Poolman for Marino, Kapanen, Poulin, and Hallander. 

Marino: top 4 RHD

Kapanen:  middle 6 winger

Poulin:  B+ to A grade prospect

Hallander:  B to B+ grade prospect

lol.. you realize how much sense that makes for the Penguins? 

Let's not resign Malkin... in place let's trade for Miller who is probably just as good as Malkin. In the process, let's lose our #1RD, our 2nd line winger, and 2 more top prospects.Just so that we have to sign Miller next year for 7 years at the amount of money that Malkin is probably asking.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Let's not resign Malkin... in place let's trade for Miller who is probably just as good as Malkin. In the process, let's lose our #1RD, our 2nd line winger, and 2 more top prospects.Just so that we have to sign Miller next year for 7 years at the amount of money that Malkin is probably asking.  

Smoke show.  lol

2 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Miller is 30.  How old is Malkin again?  Oh wait, who was a top 10 scorer last year?

2 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Kapanen isn't a second liner and they'd be better off getting rid of him.  The trade works better for us if he's not included anyway.

9 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Marino as the main piece doesn't move the needed for me, at all - and I hope I misinterpreted you and your actually joking,  no disrespect.  And people clamoring for Kapanen in the deal (which is a pkg I've heard too often I'm worried about it) seem to overlook he was outscored by Pearson who played less gm's and for whatever reason people want to get rid of Pearson at any cost?   

I see a need on the Pens side,  but  not necessary a match with the elite assets Miller should be commanding in return. 

But that's just me, I'm in favor of 'quality over quantity ' in any Miller deal.

I agree.   Moving Miller only makes sense if we get back a potential star player or a pick low enough to draft one.

• Cheers 1