The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks to make a pitch for Mason Marchment

9 hours ago, bad alice french said:

Get rid of Dickinson and replace with Marchment.

Instant upgrade.

I don't think it's that straight-forward, necessarily.

As others have said, the sample size is small. There is nothing to suggest he can maintain that point pace, although whoever signs him will certainly be hoping for such.

I'll also speak to the Dickinson side, whereby he simply had a bad year. His shooting % was significantly less than it was the 2 seasons prior, and his faceoffs were the worst since he entered the league. No, he didn't look good - but I feel that IF we were to keep him on for another full season we'd see at least somewhat of a resurgence from him. He's also supposed to be a really stand-up character guy, which I think is an element which may not be seen on the ice but certainly helps in the locker room.

What if we did what you suggest... get rid of Dickinson and then replace him with Marchment. Then say Dickinson has a resurgent year, and Marchment falls back to earth. In such a scenario, not only are we adding a sweetener to move Dickinson, but we also sign ourselves to a likely multi-year deal for *another* guy who isn't playing to his contract. No, I'm not saying this is what WOULD happen, so much as it's what COULD happen.

Is it worth the risk?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kloubek said:

As others have said, the sample size is small. There is nothing to suggest he can maintain that point pace, although whoever signs him will certainly be hoping for such.

I'll also speak to the Dickinson side, whereby he simply had a bad year. His shooting % was significantly less than it was the 2 seasons prior, and his faceoffs were the worst since he entered the league. No, he didn't look good - but I feel that IF we were to keep him on for another full season we'd see at least somewhat of a resurgence from him. He's also supposed to be a really stand-up character guy, which I think is an element which may not be seen on the ice but certainly helps in the locker room.

What if we did what you suggest... get rid of Dickinson and then replace him with Marchment. Then say Dickinson has a resurgent year, and Marchment falls back to earth. In such a scenario, not only are we adding a sweetener to move Dickinson, but we also sign ourselves to a likely multi-year deal for *another* guy who isn't playing to his contract. No, I'm not saying this is what WOULD happen, so much as it's what COULD happen.

Is it worth the risk?

I don't recall seeing much physicality out of Dickenson, so not sure if that's really part of his game but it's definitely something we need to improve at overall.

So if MM provides an upgrade there then it'd be worth it physicality (same goes for speed)

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Is it worth the risk?

Dickenson blows ..it's worth the risk lol

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rackdawg said:

Dickenson blows ..it's worth the risk lol

Dickinson had a rough year, but statistically, he had a strong career up to the Canucks and with the issues around the team to start the season, it's extremely possible that he didn't really blend well to start the season.

My guess and prediction is, that he will bounce back this coming season as he had a strong finish the last 15...ish games. 

Give him a start under Coach BB, and if he doesn't come around in camp, then waive / trade him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kloubek said:

Is it worth the risk?

Agreed that it could be risky but only if we overpay for Marchment. No matter how much Dickinson improves he’s not gonna bring that same toughness and tenacity that Marchment would bring. I’d rather have that type of player in my bottom six. I just feel we are making such a big deal about trading our best players to free up cap space when we should be addressing the fact that our depth players aren’t good enough. We need to support our best players with better grinders

• Upvote 2

On 7/5/2022 at 12:13 PM, Alflives said:

UFA.  27.  Big winger.  Hard to play against.  Some skill.  Should come relatively cheap (1 mil x 2?) Why not?  

Exactly, that's why Dubas felt he didn't fit the Leafs and cut him loose. :emot-parrot:

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, BPA said:

2019-2020 NHL 4 games 1pt

2020-2021 NHL 33 games 10pts

2021-2022 NHL 54 games 47pts

Prior years he’s been in the minors.  He’s 27yr old.  Maybe he benefited with playing with some good linemates?

You know very well this isn't the place for statistics and logic......

Edited by Harold Drunken

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Is this for real? 

Yeah, he's got mannikins with pictures of players ahead of him in the lineup, and he's ripp'n their faces off!

Go Hogz!

He's on here all the time.

Trade Pearson.  Trade Garland.  Etc. 

7 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Is this for real? 

Naw  -  was in tongue in cheek response to an EP post where he had a missing 3rd line center but no Hoagie in his line up .....

Marchment   Pettersson   Boeser 

Kuzmenko    Horvat         Podkolzin 

Pearson                            Garland 

Deslauriers   Lammikko    Lazar

Highmore

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Naw  -  was in tongue in cheek response to an EP post where he had a missing 3rd line center but no Hoagie in his line up .....

Marchment   Pettersson   Boeser 

Kuzmenko    Horvat         Podkolzin 

Pearson                            Garland 

Deslauriers   Lammikko    Lazar

Highmore

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

My hopes were brought up only to be dashed.