The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks to make a pitch for Mason Marchment

4 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Or he's also just a good player and he had a breakout year. Time to change your old diaper.

2019-2020 NHL 4 games 1pt

2020-2021 NHL 33 games 10pts

2021-2022 NHL 54 games 47pts

Prior years he’s been in the minors.  He’s 27yr old.  Maybe he benefited with playing with some good linemates?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It’s so hard (at least for me) to gauge what Marchment should be worth on the market.

I’m really interested to see what he gets, both salary and term, after what he showed last season.

I’m seeing people throw around $2.5-3.5M AAV on social media, which would be a heck of a bargain, if he maintains anything close to his 2021-22 stats.

I would be very careful giving a 27 yr old over 2.5 million that's only had 1 good season..Great size 6'4, 205 - W

Lets use caution..  2 yrs X 2.5 million -- Show me more,, Some team might offer him 3.4 million X 4yrs.. 

2016-17 ECHL- GP 35 - G 14 - PTS 20

2017-18 AHL. -GP.  44-  G 11 -- PTS 26

2018-19 AHL  GP.   44 - G 14 -- PTS 25

2019-20 AHL GP   24  -G 13 - PTS.  18 ---- NHL GP 4 - G 0 -- PTS 1

2020-21 NHL GP -33 - G  2 - PTS 10 -- AGE 26

2021-22 NHL. GP 54 - G 18 -- PTS 47 -- AGE 27

• Cheers 3

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It’s so hard (at least for me) to gauge what Marchment should be worth on the market.

I’m really interested to see what he gets, both salary and term, after what he showed last season.

I’m seeing people throw around $2.5-3.5M AAV on social media, which would be a heck of a bargain, if he maintains anything close to his 2021-22 stats.

Man Marchment at under 2.5-3.5 sign me up!!

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

I would be very careful giving a 27 yr old over 2.5 million that's only had 1 good season..Great size 6'4, 205 - W

Lets use caution..  2 yrs X 2.5 million -- Show me more,, Some team might offer him 3.4 million X 4yrs.. 

2016-17 ECHL- GP 35 - G 14 - PTS 20

2017-18 AHL. -GP.  44-  G 11 -- PTS 26

2018-19 AHL  GP.   44 - G 14 -- PTS 25

2019-20 AHL GP   24  -G 13 - PTS.  18 ---- NHL GP 4 - G 0 -- PTS 1

2020-21 NHL GP -33 - G  2 - PTS 10 -- AGE 26

2021-22 NHL. GP 54 - G 18 -- PTS 47 -- AGE 27

This player has an LE vibe - career year leading up to his FA.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Brock Best-sir said:

There are some rumors indicating that perhaps Marchment may be the mystery forward the Canucks will pursue to potentially replace JT Miller

Gordon Ramsay Masterchef GIF by FOX TV

His dad was a dirty SOB famous for knee on knee and other questionable hits.

If he plays with even 50% of his dad's edge the Canucks have something here...

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t see anyone saying he could replace Miller.

He could certainly replace the sandpaper Miller brought.

Only way we’d replace 100 points is through a couple additions to the top 9. Kuzmenko plus Marchment plus some improved production from Hogz and Podz could help offset the loss.

Ya, maybe he could replace Pearson… but an entirely irrelevant conversation when it comes to Miller.  One decent years in bis career and this has the hallmark of a guy getting paid WAY too much 

If you start putting together rumours of trades and players the Canucks are interested in… the roster looks a whole lot different!  We would have to see them clearing some serious cap over the next couple of days to start working it out.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

MM is exactly what the Nux should be looking to add to this team…only at about 2mill less and 3-4 years younger (if possible).

if other teams can enable a player like this from their system, so should the Nux.  Frankly I’m a little tired of hearing how we have to get this guy from here and that guy from there, when in reality we should be developing our own. 

hopefully this new mgmt group can convert Abby into a true farm/developmental club within the next year or two. It’s imperative they turn this around asap. 

We’ve drafted some superstars who are centrepieces of our roster, but they basically made the jump from junior to pro in one step. That’s an ideal and we are fortunate for it.

But for the other picks, the ones who require nurturing/maturing alongside coaching expertise to establish their NHL level game, we haven’t been that productive.
Aside from Boner, we currently lack any real depth that we can actually foresee as potentially becoming an NHL regular.

this is the cheapest and most effective way to maintain cap compliance in the future. I really hope we start taking the right steps to correct it.

Edited by RWJC

10 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Sorta leary about doing that.

Reminds me when we signed Jason Garrison. Hugely went unheralded in his career, had a major breakout season and cashed in big but faded soon afterward. Marchment about to do the same, his career best before his breakout with 42 points was only 10 points.

You want to find players like Marchment who are at the brink of breaking out and come cheap. 

This.

Sam Bennett scored 28 goals last year, in 71 games. Why is that important? Because he hasn’t scored more than 13 since his rookie season in 2015-16. But on that team, with those players, and under that offence-friendly system (which failed in the playoffs), he racked up the stats like never before. He’s a good player, but if he was suddenly UFA I wouldn’t want to be paying him as a 30-goal scorer.

It’s similar with Marchment. He’s a solid player, but I doubt he replicates the year he just had ever again. And I expect that he’ll get overpaid next year, and the team that signed him will regret his contract quite quickly.

• Cheers 1

Makes me a bit nervous, his numbers were of course inflated playing on a high tempo Florida team where everyone looked like 30 goal scorers.

Realistically on any other team he's a 15-20 goal scorer, 30-40 point player but with his size and hands, that's a great 3rd liner. He's probably due 3M, will get paid 4-5M in the UFA (hopefully not by us) but if we could snag him for 2.5-3M he'd be worth it.

He doesn't fit our team right now though, we've got enough middle 6 wingers. We need that cap allocated to a 3C instead and there's plenty of good options there.

The only way we should persue him is if we somehow free up some cap, most likely by dumping Dickinson. Playing Marchment and Pearson alongside a 3C UFA would be perfect. A big guy like Tierney would make for a heavy, good defensive line who can all score.

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

UFA.  27.  Big winger.  Hard to play against.  Some skill.  Should come relatively cheap (1 mil x 2?) Why not?  

Marchment is going to get a pretty good raise, I would not be surprised to see him get $3-4 per.

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Only way this makes sense to me is if he replaces Pearson like many of you have said.  Pearson for Zacha and then sign Marchment for Pearson's money (Hopefully a little less)

Zacha needs a contract too.  So he might eat the Pearson money.  What if we just dumperoo Pearson (clearing his full cap) then reallocate those dollars to this Marchment guy? 

16 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Sorta leary about doing that.

Reminds me when we signed Jason Garrison. Hugely went unheralded in his career, had a major breakout season and cashed in big but faded soon afterward. Marchment about to do the same, his career best before his breakout with 42 points was only 10 points.

You want to find players like Marchment who are at the brink of breaking out and come cheap. 

Thing is with that overpaid contract (Garrison), Benning was able to deal him for a 2nd round pick *WITHOUT* taking any salary back.  So he was hardly a disaster signing & did have some tradable value.  He faded because of injury issues after he came here (recurring groin injury) not because he was on the downside of his career.  Still managed to play on a playoff team (Bolts) top 4 for two years before that injury really crattered his performance for two seasons in Tampa - that's a *FULL FOUR SEASONS* after Gillis gave him that retirement contract.  I'm not sure that's a good example.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Zacha needs a contract too.  So he might eat the Pearson money.  What if we just dumperoo Pearson (clearing his full cap) then reallocate those dollars to this Marchment guy? 

Would be nice to do both but you’re right the room needs to come from somewhere.  I’m guessing there is still a chance of Myers moving and maybe we get lucky and can move Dickinson’s without adding too much.

Marchment would be a fantastic add for the right price. I’ve also seen people (fans not insiders) mentioning that Anderson could be of interest. Played with Horvat in junior and I’m pretty sure they’re still friends.