The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks to make a pitch for Mason Marchment

Just now, Harold Drunken said:

Not so long ago many on here were saying Miller is irreplaceable and this team will be terrible and crumble without him. 

Now, we are saying we can replace him with a 27 year old who's played 91 NHL games, never reached 20 goals???

CDC is so bizarre sometimes....pick a lane!

The lane we're picking is pretty simple: JT Miller won't win this team a cup by himself, and we cant afford to sign a 30 year old to a long term anchor contract. No one is saying the expect Mason Marchment to replace or match JT Millers contributions, but he seems like he could be a good addition none the less!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t see anyone saying he could replace Miller.

He could certainly replace the sandpaper Miller brought.

Only way we’d replace 100 points is through a couple additions to the top 9. Kuzmenko plus Marchment plus some improved production from Hogz and Podz could help offset the loss.

Literally the first post of this board suggested that...........and it somehow got a "cheers" reaction as if that's a realistic expectation. 

Edited by Harold Drunken

21 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

THE undrafted Mason Marchment, who's 27 and never scored 20 goals or 50 points in his 91 NHL games?

Nah, no thanks 

EDIT - wait, I wasn't aware he is a UFA (thought he would be in a Miller trade), so if he's cheap enough, by all means Yes!

VAN

Reinhart

Marchment

1st

FLA

Miller

Garland

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, TmanVan said:

The lane we're picking is pretty simple: JT Miller won't win this team a cup by himself, and we cant afford to sign a 30 year old to a long term anchor contract. No one is saying the expect Mason Marchment to replace or match JT Millers contributions, but he seems like he could be a good addition none the less!

The first post of this topic literally suggested that. I'm not just making this up because I'm bored lol. 

I would love to add Marchment for the right price 100% but I'm just not counting him to replace anyone in our top 6.

Edited by Harold Drunken

2 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

The first post of this topic literally suggested that. I'm not just making this up because I'm bored lol.

I would love to add Marchment for the right price 100% but I'm just not counting him to replace anyone in our top 6.

Yea but the rumour specifically said a “Miller lite” meaning a lesser version.

I don’t think that necessarily has to mean replacing his production. He would likely have a place in the top 6 if he continues last years production though.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

How can you not want Reinhart?  The guy does so many things well.  If we had a Reinhart on this team we'd be a contender.  

He had unreal chemistry with Horvat in the WJHC as well.  Really high hockey IQ.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Only problem I'd have with Marchment is an overpay since he's a UFA.  It would also presumably require a trade from the current forward group which I'm not against but leaves me curious about who gets booted and what the Canucks get in return.

I suppose if we move Miller to FLA, we could be trying to get Marchment to agree to an extension? 

Interesting add for sure. 

38 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

THE undrafted Mason Marchment, who's 27 and never scored 20 goals or 50 points in his 91 NHL games?

Nah, no thanks 

EDIT - wait, I wasn't aware he is a UFA (thought he would be in a Miller trade), so if he's cheap enough, by all means Yes!

YA! 47 points in his last 54 games, WHAT A BUM!

13 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

He makes me a little nervous. Hadn't done much of anything up until last season, where he exploded. I would hate to sign sign him to a multi-year contract worth 5 mill per year only to find out he was a flash in the pan.

For sure. You've got to be weary of guys who have a career year, on their contract year. 

• Cheers 1