The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks to make a pitch for Mason Marchment

35 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Add 18 year old Sam Bennett, then I'd say, DEAL.

I’m completely convinced that Reinhardt and Bennett coming in for Miller would be nothing short of spectacular for production.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Not so long ago many on here were saying Miller is irreplaceable and this team will be terrible and crumble without him. 

Now, we are saying we can replace him with a 27 year old who's played 91 NHL games, never reached 20 goals???

CDC is so bizarre sometimes....pick a lane!

Nobody is saying anyone would be a Miller replacement. You’d have to trade for Tkachuk to replace the points. 

Kuzmenko and Marchment together could generate 80-90 points. Add Podkolzin increasing his point totals and take out Dickinson and we would replace most of the points lost. 

Marchment   Pettersson   Boeser 

Kuzmenko    Horvat         Podkolzin 

Pearson                            Garland 

Deslauriers   Lammikko    Lazar

Highmore

We wound still need a 3C. I wonder the cost for Deslauriers. He and Marchment would add all of the sandpaper we need. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Harold Drunken said:

Not so long ago many on here were saying Miller is irreplaceable and this team will be terrible and crumble without him. 

Now, we are saying we can replace him with a 27 year old who's played 91 NHL games, never reached 20 goals???

CDC is so bizarre sometimes....pick a lane!

We all drive different vehicles. Some ride a moped or a bike. Others maybe operate a fully-loaded dump truck or drive a fast sports car. 

Those cars are the individuals on CDC and their opinions- we are all individuals after all, not some hive mind entity like the Borg. And we all use different lanes depending on what we're driving and where we're going. And like when driving a car, we are allowed to change lanes. That's the funny thing about humans, we can change our opinions with time or more/different knowledge. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

We all drive different vehicles. Some ride a moped or a bike. Others maybe operate a fully-loaded dump truck or drive a fast sports car. 

Those cars are the individuals on CDC and their opinions- we are all individuals after all, not some hive mind entity like the Borg. And we all use different lanes depending on what we're driving and where we're going. And like when driving a car, we are allowed to change lanes. That's the funny thing about humans, we can change our opinions with time or more/different knowledge. 

Amen brother! Whether any of that made sense or not I agree with you. Even it it means not using logic, common sense or critical thinking you should always be yourself. Cheers 

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Sad 1

I think Marchment is a good option. Yes, the sample size is small and there is a risk there, but he really made an impact for Flordia, and helps us getting bigger and stronger which is always a plus. 

For the right aav, I'm on board. If it's low enough, he could double as a 3rd liner if he can't generate similar point production as this past season.

3X3.

54 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

He makes me a little nervous. Hadn't done much of anything up until last season, where he exploded. I would hate to sign sign him to a multi-year contract worth 5 mill per year only to find out he was a flash in the pan.

Agreed.   I'd be less concerned if he had a history of great offensive output and it took him a minute to adapt that to the next level - which power forward often do - but there's little in his past history to indicate that.  If he came in at great dollar/term then Ok, but do ufa's do that?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

A risk to overpay since he’s only had one good season, but if he will accept a reasonable deal around 4 mil he’s definitely worth it.

Pretty much this. Would definitely hurt to lose Miller at C and replace him with a winger though, unless Petey can get his face-off game up to snuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

He makes me a little nervous. Hadn't done much of anything up until last season, where he exploded. I would hate to sign sign him to a multi-year contract worth 5 mill per year only to find out he was a flash in the pan.

I’m having Jason Garrison PTSD

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t see anyone saying he could replace Miller.

He could certainly replace the sandpaper Miller brought.

Only way we’d replace 100 points is through a couple additions to the top 9. Kuzmenko plus Marchment plus some improved production from Hogz and Podz could help offset the loss.

LK's 25 goals as Petey's winger will help, too

this is scary 27 yrs old,, 6'4, 200 lbs,  1 good NHL season playing with some good players????

I would not be signing Mason for anything more then 2 yr 2.2 million show me more...Look at previous 6 years??

2020-21 - Gp 33-- PTS 10

2021-22-  GP 54- PTS  47

Lets not get too excited use some caution can't offer over 2.5million X 3 yrs..

There will be other players to choose from..

• Cheers 1

Sorta leary about doing that.

Reminds me when we signed Jason Garrison. Hugely went unheralded in his career, had a major breakout season and cashed in big but faded soon afterward. Marchment about to do the same, his career best before his breakout with 42 points was only 10 points.

You want to find players like Marchment who are at the brink of breaking out and come cheap. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Nobody is saying anyone would be a Miller replacement. You’d have to trade for Tkachuk to replace the points. 

Kuzmenko and Marchment together could generate 80-90 points. Add Podkolzin increasing his point totals and take out Dickinson and we would replace most of the points lost. 

Marchment   Pettersson   Boeser 

Kuzmenko    Horvat         Podkolzin 

Pearson                            Garland 

Deslauriers   Lammikko    Lazar

Highmore

We would still need a 3C.    I wonder the cost for Deslauriers. He and Marchment would add all of the sandpaper we need. 

Hoglander is spending all summer practicing faceoffs

• Cheers 1

Doing some more detailed research on him:

- He doesn't penalty kill at all, so he would not replace Miller in that respect

- Very strong CORSI numbers

- One of the most frequent hitters on FLA last year

- Played 14:07 per game last year, which is insane considering his production on pace for over 70 points. Florida is insanely deep.

- Almost never blocks shots

- Generally takes a lot of penalties, but draws even more

• Cheers 3