The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

The things or details he needs to work on are all things that can be taught.  And getting stronger working out with EP40 will be a dream come true for him.  The Sedins can teach him the details of the game.  His wide array of elite shots and his quick hands can't be taught, you can get better at something over time but only to a point.  Then it's about natural ability.  Even skating can be improved but how Makar and Hughes can skate isn't something a player can expect to learn.  Like hockey IQ, either you have it or you don't.  Lekkerimaki has a shot that is unique in this draft.  He has unique talents and it's going to be fun to see him dominate the Allsvenskan league. 

Some people might wonder if its the right spot for him to develop, but unless you're on a SHL team that gives you every opportunity to succeed like with Vaxjo and Elias Pettersson, unless he has that then he's better off getting a ton of icetime in the Allsvenskan. 

7 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Well, the all-time best by a U19 in Allsvenskan was Patrik Berglund with 21 goals back in '06/'07. I mean, if all three of Ostlund, Ohgren and Lekkerimaki are able to really click and figure out the pro game, you never know, there could be magic in the air. But I just want to make sure we're clear about what realistic expectations should be. Here's the top all-time producers in Allsvenskan at U19: https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/hockeyallsvenskan/stats/all-time-season?age=u19&sort=tp

EP40 scored 19 goals in his draft year in the Allsvenskan, if JL can do that in his plus 1 year i'll be happy  

Edited by Pure961089

23 hours ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

My only problem with Lekki is his skating and, at times, decision-making. Really small things though; I think he was a steal at 15.

I dont see the skating issue. Cam Robinson, Alvin and lots of others have complimented his skating. To the point that once he adds strength training his skating is going to be even better and they project him to be an above average skater. Not a Hagelin or Ehlers but just not being something that hurts him at all.

14 hours ago, AK_19 said:

I'm not going to pretend I've ever watched him play but his numbers look a lot like Lucas Raymond's. 

Alvin did compare hm to him lightly. So there is some similarities. EP and Raymond guys he's watched a lot too that have influenced his game.

Very excited to follow this players development.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Quinn Huges said:

End of thread. Case closed!

Ya he said it in his interviews day of being drafted too.

under contract, what’s to pull the team back into SHL with his friends ostlund and Ohgren.

It’s the perfect spot for him next season. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Letterkenny is awesome; can't wait until he's on the big club.

The only thing better than Letterkenny is Shoresy.

Just saw the episode where Wayne was the " bonie" driver and Shoresy was practising, end of the episode he is standing beside the Sudbury town sign.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 7/7/2022 at 7:17 PM, Provost said:

Meh… you can’t expect much from this position.

JR says he likes a big fast team, they draft a small slow player.

They drafted a very skill talent with decent speed ..Lead U18 championship in scoring GP 6 - G 5 - PTS 15 -  Only 17 yrs old played pro games in SHL this season..

Very good pick with bright future..

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 7/10/2022 at 12:26 PM, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

My only problem with Lekki is his skating and, at times, decision-making. Really small things though; I think he was a steal at 15.

Skating was Bo Horvat's criticism too. 

Now he's a Bull in a china Shop.