The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

On 8/16/2022 at 12:14 PM, DeNiro said:

I’m not the one who isn’t figuring it out. :picard:

I'm not sure why he decided to attact your post about Lysell. I mean all you were doing was talking about why Lysell may not be getting the ice time over JL, so what if you did not mention the other players. No where in your post did you take away from JL earned ice time. 

Edited by vancan2233
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

Is there a skills competition at the world jrs? How and where are these times recorded?

The jerseys all have those tracking chips in them now. That would be the fastest speeds recorded by those chips during game play. Could of been any time during the tournament so far.

10 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

After he was drafted, a bunch of people were saying skating is a weakness for JL.  Now he's the fastest skater at the World Juniors?

Why aren't we talking about this more?

As I mentioned a page back, to me it stems from more of a pacing issue than skating issue. He has separation speed, but he doesn't use it that often. If he played with more pace overall, I don't think it gets as much attention.

On 8/15/2022 at 11:29 AM, HighOnHockey said:

Lol appreciate that. I mean in a sense it is just my opinion, but it will be pretty clear to anyone to has watched the players substantially. Don't need to go too far back and talk about Ho-Sang, Milano, etc., but just in the past couple drafts I said exactly the same sorts of things about Cole Perfetti and Fabian Lysell that I said about Kemell this year, and I correctly predicted all three getting drafted later than the consensus expected. NHL GMs just do not like taking a lot of risk with high draft picks. How they turn out long-term is still to be determined, and surely some of them will turn out to be superstars. I don't have anything against any of them per se, but I couldn't believe so many people were talking about Kemell as a potential top 3 pick at times throughout the season. But it will be interesting to watch when one of them hits big, fans will flock to say "I told you so" and "how did this player ever fall as far as they did?" and "it should have always been obvious to everyone how skilled he was and that he would be a star in the NHL."

I'll be that guy. Said it all year Kemell is a better scoring winger than Lekkerimaki I'll stand by it. Time will tell. Hope you're right since we got your guy. 

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

After he was drafted, a bunch of people were saying skating is a weakness for JL.  Now he's the fastest skater at the World Juniors?

Why aren't we talking about this more?

6 hours ago, Sp3nny said:

As I mentioned a page back, to me it stems from more of a pacing issue than skating issue. He has separation speed, but he doesn't use it that often. If he played with more pace overall, I don't think it gets as much attention.

I think it's a great sign if he has the speed but isn't using it yet.

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think it's a great sign if he has the speed but isn't using it yet.

Lekkerimaki is somewhat like EP, very cerebral, and goes to where the puck is going to go, and passes to where he thinks/wants teammates to be when the puck gets there.

He is having an outstanding tournament, anticipating and intercepting passes, taking the puck away on the boards, and making passes that set up goals.

Remember, he was only 17 a few weeks ago...

10 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Lekkerimaki is somewhat like EP, very cerebral, and goes to where the puck is going to go, and passes to where he thinks/wants teammates to be when the puck gets there.

He is having an outstanding tournament, anticipating and intercepting passes, taking the puck away on the boards, and making passes that set up goals.

Remember, he was only 17 a few weeks ago...

Yeah I was just noticing that as well. It's hard to get a read when he's playing 3rd line and they're winning. Plus he's so young. I've been watching all the Finn games and Kemell is a huge opportunist. He benefits from getting the puck on his stick at the right time but doesn't really make a huge impact himself and is more benefitting from teammates from what I see.

I like that he's accepting of a role in order to win.

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Why would Sweden not put their best shooting threat out on the 5 on 3??

Dumb. 

To my eyes, Sweden has looked disorganized, particularly on the PP. It may be a result of poor coaching, ie. coach's poor decision making. Thoughts?

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, robr1can said:

To my eyes, Sweden has looked disorganized, particularly on the PP. It may be a result of poor coaching, ie. coach's poor decision making. Thoughts?

I could be wrong, but didn't they have 2 defenseman out there? I know Grans is a D, not sure about the other guy but he wasn't much of a shooter either.

Maybe its hard in a tournament like this to gel, but why would you not put Lekkerimaki on the point as a shooter - its his bread an butter. Or even someone like Ohgren who has a good shot.

I don't get the personnel decisions that's for sure.