The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

15 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

In the clips from the draft, PA was conferring with the other AGMs and scouts and asked them if they were all on the same page, i.e. that Lekkerimaki was the group's choice.

He also said you could get (I forget what it was exactly, but something like) 2nd and 3rd line players by many different means, but you have to use the draft to get great talent.

I am sure that nationality did not play a role in these consensus decisions.

We do have good connections with Sweden and do get very good info on Swedish players, but I think this Swedish-Centric idea is misplaced.

PA went BPA with our 1st and, even though he is Swedish, took a big, strong, good-skating defenseman with his pick in the 3rd round (EPv2.0), which is more for a position of need.

I think Allvin and His Big Band of Chipmunks did very well at the 2022 draft regardless of your opinion of his prior drafts with the Habs and Pens.

Yes, I am certain that it is only a coincidence that we drafted a Swedish player in both the 1st and 3rd rounds last year...   <_<

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, I am certain that it is only a coincidence that we drafted a Swedish player in both the 1st and 3rd rounds last year...   <_<

It's clear PA is not JB when at the draft.  PA allows his scouts to make the picks.  JB made the picks (at the top of the draft) 

• Upvote 1

GM has final say on any NHL team no use trying to push any other sort of an agenda.  

no on can argue that the first half of draft+1 has been good for this prospect it’s been below expectations for a first rounder.  Up to the player to adjust he will be playing against bigger stronger players his whole career.  If struggles bleed into next season there will be some alarm bells going off.

7 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I wouldn't argue that Lekkerimaki wasn't highly ranked.  What I would point out though, is that Kemmel was usually ranked higher (including in 4/6 of the above rankings).  When Allvin had the chance to still grab Kemmel at #15, why did he ever choose Lekkerimaki?  My feeling at the time was that it was simply because Lekkerimaki is the Swede.  I would hope this wasn't the case, but I can't see any other good reason why he would project Lekkerimaki to be a better player than Kemmel in the long-run.  Certainly this hasn't been the case to this point in time.

Most of the time they are right after each other so regardless it is very close. I think the reason outside of being a 1st time GM and a Swede picking a Swede, is that JL has the best shot in the entire draft class, that may have been part of the reason for choosing Lekkerimaki. But I do agree, it could just be one of those “it would be wrong if my first ever pick as a GM wasnt a Swede like me”

Top player in 2012?  Yakupov

The consensus 6th in 2014?  Virtanen.  

Top defenseman in 2016?  Juolevi

Top forward in 2017?  Patrick

Maybe stop looking at "bpa" and understand that scouts het it very VERY wrong frequently.  Looking at vancouvers draft and development record going back to 2006 where we predominantly pick or tried to pick the "bpa" we can see what the mob speak results in.

If people have concerns about this pick.  So be it.  They have a nearly 2 decade run of historical reasons why they are allowed to be a bit nervous about any pick this team makes.

If people aren't worried cool, let them be chill.

Not anyone's wheelhouse to gate keep another persons fandom.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

And oddly enough wasn't allowed to play like he played in that league..off wing and physical :bigblush:

He kept his physicality relegated strictly to hotel rooms :ph34r:

too soon?

Edited by Warhippy
  • Haha 1

Man.  Not even on a line.  

He is still so young that I won’t give up on him for another 4-5 years, but man…..

since we have drafted him, he has sucked.  
Very disappointing so far.  
In each league he has played in, even against his peers, he has not looked good at all.  
All he has is a shot, and he can only use it on the PP.  

Why did we pick another player exactly like half our top 6?    
Where was the Dman?

Where was the checking center?    
Where was the power winger?   

ps,  I really hope this kid makes me eat a big pile of crow.  

10 hours ago, wildcam said:

All you negative poster NHL draft guide 2022 had him a #11 guy????? The kid just turned 18 and  has injuries this half of the season....

Get a life and stop this garbage 18 years old and your predicting his future...Pathetic posters with negative comments..

I'm gonna wait until he's 21.  It'll give us a sense of his progression.  Even then, it's very early to judge what a player can become. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Probably more like they thought those were the best players to pick with those picks.

Are they not to use their contacts in Sweden then? 

Don't want to look too Swedish for CDC poster Elias Pettersson..

4 minutes ago, John McClane said:

We’ve all been told that JL is a excellent shooter/goal scorer. But I’ve been very impressed with his passing in todays game against the U.S.  

yea his playmaking is the thing that stands out.

Doesn’t seem like they’ve been putting him in positions to get his shot away.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, klw604 said:

He had a shit*y tournament, wasn't playing well before tournament started, this year is a write off.

Next off season is gonna be huge, we'll see how he starts next year.

Way to early to call him a bust

I think he's a bust, this seems like Olli Juolevi all over again. It's ok to be hopeful but nothing indicates he's trending in the right direction 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I think he's a bust, this seems like Olli Juolevi all over again. It's ok to be hopeful but nothing indicates he's trending in the right direction 

People need to get off the whole OJ issue. He was a good pick but got overrun with really bad injuries after being drafted.

Feel free to beat up Benning over drafting Virtanen, but OJ, at the time, was a solid pick. He's who Burke would have chosen if we went with Tkachuk as they have both ranked as equal in Calgary.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3