The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) CHI Patrick Kane high on Avs’ radar if he becomes available

RWJC

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

499048678_Screenshot_20220711-211240_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.37af6599b5c48dd9eff3bd6c7fab063f.jpg

If the Avs get Kane I dunno how they don't repeat 

Put up 92 points and is the fifth highest scoring US forward ever, should be third by the end of next season 

The goat 

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

499048678_Screenshot_20220711-211240_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.37af6599b5c48dd9eff3bd6c7fab063f.jpg

If the Avs get Kane I dunno how they don't repeat 

Put up 92 points and is the fifth highest scoring US forward ever, should be third by the end of next season 

Well, there is something call salary cap and they will need to sacrifice assets and depth to get Kane.  Could also mess with chemistry.

Does that make them scary, of course, but it’s going to weakened them somewhere else.  For example is Georgie’s really the answer in net?

4 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Well, there is something call salary cap and they will need to sacrifice assets and depth to get Kane.  Could also mess with chemistry.

Does that make them scary, of course, but it’s going to weakened them somewhere else.  For example is Georgie’s really the answer in net?

Moving out Erik Johnson would cover Kane at 50%, which the Hawks wouldn't likely have to do in order to get a return. Few teams will be interested in that full cap hit.

Depends on what Chicago wants, I could easily see the Avs moving 2023 picks.

• 3 weeks later...

Such a flood of prolific wingers on the move this summer starting with Fiala, Tkachuk, Huberdeau, Pacioretty, Bjorkstrand and now P.Kane.

The returns for all the wingers up to this point has been below market value. Bjorkstrand garnered mid to late round picks despite being a near 60 point winger, Pacioretty a perennial 20+ goal scorer got dealt for nothing, Fiala's return was less than what many expected (although Minny did well anyways) and the Tkachuk for Huberdeau deal was insane, two swapped 100 point wingers just like that.

No wonder its been hard to move out money like Pearson, Dickinson, let alone JT Miller. The market on wingers are soft, and I wonder if that is why JT MIller is still a Canuck. Teams not wanting to offer a lot in the first place + lack of cap space, but teams genuinely don't view Miller's value as a center and more of a winger.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Such a flood of prolific wingers on the move this summer starting with Fiala, Tkachuk, Huberdeau, Pacioretty, Bjorkstrand and now P.Kane.

The returns for all the wingers up to this point has been below market value. Bjorkstrand garnered mid to late round picks despite being a near 60 point winger, Pacioretty a perennial 20+ goal scorer got dealt for nothing, Fiala's return was less than what many expected (although Minny did well anyways) and the Tkachuk for Huberdeau deal was insane, two swapped 100 point wingers just like that.

No wonder its been hard to move out money like Pearson, Dickinson, let alone JT Miller. The market on wingers are soft, and I wonder if that is why JT MIller is still a Canuck. Teams not wanting to offer a lot in the first place + lack of cap space, but teams genuinely don't view Miller's value as a center and more of a winger.

Makes one wonder how some of the recent trade returns might impact contract negotiations on a Miller extension? 

Miller’s camp can’t help but notice the diminishing leaguewide value on wingers, and, like you note, much of the league still views JTM as more of a winger than a true centre.

Has the landscape not only changed, as far as teams now being unwilling to give up quality assets for highly paid forwards on the back half of their careers, but also has the market fallen off in terms of what kind of money those teams will be willing to pony up for this same class of players in free agency?

(The recent Gaudreau contract might also be an indicator here.)

Is Miller’s list of suitors, should he actually hit the UFA market, now shrinking, and of the teams remaining interested, are they no longer willing to pay the kind of salary he’s been expecting?

Not to mention the risks involved if Miller plays out next season and sees his production drop 10-15 points from last season. What might that do to his negotiating position and the type of AAV and term he might command?

If the Canucks do, in fact, prefer to re-sign JTM, rather than trade him, it’s possible their patience and “slow-playing” this negotiation actually pays off, given what’s happening in the market. Maybe Miller looks at the current landscape and decides he’s better accepting the Canucks’ “fair offer,” rather than testing free agency in a market that appears to be going through a major correction.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Typos
  • Cheers 1

On 7/11/2022 at 9:21 PM, RWJC said:

Erik Johnson (if he agrees to waive his NMTCs).

he was contemplating retirement anyway. Could be dealt as an end of career loyalty move to Avs and either play out the year, go on LTIR a few games into the season for CHI or even retire there. Would very likely be hired right back by COL in an off-ice position next season anyway.

with where they seem to be going,  CHI will still need to hit cap floor.

We could send the Myers,Pearson and OEL for 2 players and a 1st coming back and a non protected 1st

3 hours ago, cripplereh said:

We could send the Myers,Pearson and OEL for 2 players and a 1st coming back and a non protected 1st

The question is would Kane want to come here though. He has an NMC.
I highly doubt it.

Plus CHI could land a much, much better deal than that for him, imho.

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, RWJC said:

The question is would Kane want to come here though. He has an NMC.
I highly doubt it.

Plus CHI could land a much, much better deal than that for him, imho.

I think they'll need to wait it out until this market value correction where guys are undervalued is done, but say at the deadline both he and Toews should have value (e.g. if Kadri doesn't go back to COL and they're missing his services I wouldn't be surprised if the Hawks retained $ and acquired J. Toews for that two-way C role and got a huge haul; P. Kane, Klingberg and Miller should have similar markets as pending UFAs).

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 1

I think they learnt that they needed Kadri a lot last year and he provided a lot for them. He's basically as good as many team's top line forwards, so looks like the Avs want to keep rolling two top lines which is how they've become so successful, and Kane would fit that bill - another 90-100 point player slotted straight into their lineup. Surely he'll slow down a bit at some point but he's still a top line player on most NHL teams.

Not sure how they'd fit the cap, even with Chicago retaining, and not sure how much they'd have to give up but you'd assume a lot of picks/prospects. I think it'd be wiser for Colorado to not burn through their youth and picks because they're still a fairly young team and have the opportunity to just keep rolling out good young players and slotting them into the lineup. If they just want to go really hard for one little era, I suppose now is the time, but they've got the rare chance to become a long-standing dynasty considering their core are all so young. Trading 1sts and prospects now will hinder the team when Makar is in his late 20's and arguably even his prime.

I could really see Calgary doing something stupid and trading for Kane and Toews to make them even more hated by us. They seem desperate, look like they don't want to fold just yet, and have a lot of older guys, so I wonder if they trade Chicago a bunch of young players/picks for the two of them. Calgary have 9M in cap space, Kane and Toews are 21M. I wonder if there's a trade there involving Lucic going back, some cap from the Blackhawks stars retained and a lot of Calgary's young defencemen and picks going back to Chicago...Calgary have an extra 1st in 2025 they could use as well. In a crazy world, they'd almost end up better than they started the off-season if they pulled it off. For a couple of rentals who don't want to be in Chicago anymore, I think they could be had relatively cheaply.

Toews + Kane, 25% retained (15.75M cap) for Calgary's 1st in 2023, 2nd in 2024, 1st in 2025 (Florida's), Valimaki, Meloche, Dube, Lucic

Huberdeau - Lindholm - Kane

Toffoli - Monahan - Mangiapane

Coleman - Toews - Rooney

Lewis - Backlund - Bishop/whoever

Hanifin - Tanev

Weegar - Andersson

Kylington - Zadorov

Pretty decent depth there and a couple of 100pt players back in the fold. Sure, they're pretty much a team of rentals, but if they have success they may re-sign, risky way to play but they might as well considering they're a pretty old team now.

12 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm more curious what happens to Toews.

He likely rides out his deal and walks as a free agent unless he can turn back the clock at 34

If I were a betting man I'd bet last seasons production is an indication of age related decline 

50% of 10.5M is still 5.25M and I don't see teams lining up to take that on given how teams appear to value cap