The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Changes that could improve the NHL

Rate this topic

NHL Changes   

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would not allow the team on defence to freeze the puck. Like a shootout it has to keep moving. Puck battles are different but below the blue line you can’t freeze the puck. 
nothing drives me more crazy than the defence man just standing behind his net waiting for a change or a formation to get setup. 

I want the NHL just start the regular season between Sep 23-Oct 1  instead of mid October

I do not like seeing a winter sport played until the end of June, it is just wrong.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, IBatch said:

Bad officiating, for me at least, means putting the best of the best out there.   One less ref and assign a linesman the power to call a major.    Would he an improvement.   One less guy on the ice too.   COL winning with too many guys on the ice lol... sure that stung. 

If the NHL would do away with referees doing their so-called "game management" and just call the rule book the way it is written then the skilled players should be able to perform better and we could see more offense.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1. Remove the shootout ( its like having a fastest skater competition to decide a team game its stupid)

2. Get rid of game management, penalties should be called regardless of who's leading or who's got more PP opportunities. There's a reason why a team is drawing more penalties. 

3. Get rid of the instigator penalty.

4. When a goalie loses his mask the play needs to be blown dead immediately. There’s a huge risk of serious injury with the current rules.

Edited by Ferlands_Head
Add to post
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ferlands_Head said:

1. Remove the shootout ( its like having a fastest skater competition to decide a team game its stupid)

2. Get rid of game management, penalties should be called regardless of who's leading or who's got more PP opportunities. There's a reason why a team is drawing more penalties. 

3. Get rid of the instigator penalty.

If you do 2 you don’t need to get a rid of 3.

but personal take, which people wont like. Get rid of fighting altogether. Drop the gloves, get ejected out the game. Start adding suspensions to players that do it. 

with focus on head injuries it makes no sense to allow players to lamp each other in the head, that and toxic culture around fighting has led to the destruction of players lives, and suicide.

many physical games in the world get by without fighting because they are brought up with a culture of respect, and have good officiating 

• Cheers 1

1] Have bench door lock automatically or an indictor light if it is not locked while play is going on . No more stupid useless injuries because of it . 2] Make the puck over the boards not an automatic penalty . shouldn't be penalized if it is obviously an accident . I do tend to yell at the TV when this is called . 3] Let the linesmen call penalties if they see them .4] If an embellishment penalty is called the player should get an extra 2 if they call the original penalty . 5] 4 minutes for drawing blood . should have to be more than a nick . 6] With the size of the goalies now and there massive equipment the nets HAVE to be made bigger !!!  Not sure how much but bigger . 7] Not sure how this would work but it does drive me nuts that some teams get revenue sharing payments cause they can't get fans for their teams but than get top draft picks . If all the Canadian teams tanked and lost fans for a few years the league would go broke . Sorry but this to me  is unfair  and a kick in the teeth 

Thanks it was nice to get some of this off my chest I could go on and on . I like a lot of the idea's and thoughts I have read on here so far . Great thread IBatch

12 hours ago, Muttley said:

Dump the trapezoid rule. It stinks. Far as I'm concerned, If a goalie is talented enough to be able to make plays from anywhere on the ice from within

his own blue-line, let him. Yah, I suppose that could means he takes the odd hit but look at the punishment they take in their own crease now. A net minder should 

be able to use all his skills. Those dumb off limit areas do nothing to make the game better or worse.

Yup, get rid of the trapezoid.  Give the goalies a no contact zone (the old rectangle crease).  No opposing players can enter this space. Not even for a loose puck.  But, if the goalie leaves this protected area, they should be subject to the type of contact every player on the ice is exposed to.  So goalie contact allowed if the goalie is outside the rectangle.

• Upvote 1

I'd like to see the arena dimensions increased in width. I heard Burke say one time that it would be too hard to go full Olympic dimensions. However, it wouldn't be as hard to increase the width by 5 feet on each side and only loose the first row of seats. A little more time and space could make the game more fun to watch.

Play the game 5 on 5, not 3 on 3.

No shootouts, just 5 min ot with 5 versus 5.

Ties are ok, always were.

Either that or change the rules to 3 on 3 all the time. I won't watch anymore, but at least can appreciate the consistency.

1 hour ago, gizmo2337 said:

I'd like to see the arena dimensions increased in width. I heard Burke say one time that it would be too hard to go full Olympic dimensions. However, it wouldn't be as hard to increase the width by 5 feet on each side and only loose the first row of seats. A little more time and space could make the game more fun to watch.

Use the Finnish sized rinks of 60x28m give or take, would be what you want which I wouldn’t be against.

also wouldn’t be against teams having a min and max sized rink size and allowing some variation in sizes again. Makes the arenas less soulless corporate shells that they are now.

16 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Agree with this...3 Pts for reg win; 2 for OT/SO win; 1 for OT/SO loss.  Make 3 points available for each game.

Why does every game need to equal the same amount of points?

works fine in soccer with 3 for a win 1 for a draw. And other sports where same amount of points are not awarded for each game. 

8 hours ago, gizmo2337 said:

No thanks.  Hockey with time and space would be like watching soccer.  ZZZZZZZZZZZZ. 

200' by 85' is plenty of ice surface for the game to be played with quickness.

6 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

Why does every game need to equal the same amount of points?

works fine in soccer with 3 for a win 1 for a draw. And other sports where same amount of points are not awarded for each game. 

Sorry, are you advocating going back to having ties?  I personally like there is a winner and a loser each game.  A regulation win should be worth more than an OT/SO win. OT/SO loss should be given a point.  Hence, each game worth three points in the standings.  You get either get 3, 2, 1 or 0.

I would do these things

1. have the cap equal for all team,meaning Tampa and other places the players will have to pay the nhl revenue sharing to be even with the highest taxed players so players would play in more cities.

2 Let goalies play the puck more and we might see more goals 

3 get rid of the instagator penalties 

4 get rid of the shoot out

The only change I would make is removing the cap altogether and raise UFA age to 28 but RFA contains two different compensation.  For any players under 25 snagged by other team get max compensation rate under current system with rights to match.  Any RFA between 26 to 28, teams lose their right to match the offer sheet but still get compensation at a half rate so they don't lose for nothing in their prime. 

I was in favor of current system of UFA at 26 but after seeing the antics by recent off-season moves, most notable two former Calgary players' action made me rethink of this free agent rules.  Teams that picked them from the draft have missed out their talent and final development during  prime years so this proposal would make sense to allow for some kind of compensation with losing their right to match at age of 26.   If this trend continues, no teams will want to trade for that asset at the deadlines and would rather take their chance at the free agent period for a free asset.  It is my belief that teams deserve a chance of the ability to retain their players in their prime years but yet will still be free after 28 and is not declining for a chance to win the Cup.  

American born players file income taxes in Canada and in the USA.  And because they make over the threshold, they get no breaks between both countries.

Another tax people may not know.  Many US cities have a daily professional athlete/musician tax rate that is paid on the salary earned while in the city.  Municipalities tax that way because athletes/musicians gain the benefit of the community infrastructure, facilities and the venues they use.  There is also city income tax that must be paid too.  It is so complicated that these players and/or their agents have great tax professionals.

And this also needs to be said.  The player's agent also takes a percentage of the SPC, usually about 5% of salary.

Just a lot of people who have their hands in the pockets of the players.

But it is not a bad life.  Team pays for meals and lodging while on the road. If there is no team meal, the players are paid a sizeable per diem to eat out.   So at least they are not starving, unlike the rest of us.  Who has gone broke to buy tickets for you and/or your family to go to a game?  I mean, there is nothing wrong with eating beans and rice for two weeks straight, eh?

brings back : 

-old PO format 

1v8, 2v7, 3v4. no more wild card spots.

-Tie 

end regulation time : 5v5 during 5. no winner ? no pb : bring back the Tie column with 1pt. no more 3v3 arcade hockey.

- white jersey at home

- get rid of the trapzoïd

well to do things more simply : bring back 90' Hockey.