The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Ilya Mikheyev

6 minutes ago, Darius said:

I agree with you JM...for me its not only that Garland is small.  The Canucks had Cliff Ronning in 94 and he was fantastic.  Cliff was like 5'7" max....but he was surrounded by a hard nosed tough team.  Even Bure would take your head off if you slighted him,

The composition of this roster magnifies Garland's stature.  Petey, Hughes - two core players are not exactly huge to say the least.  Then you have the other core players like Bo - who is a bull when he is charging in with the puck, but maybe not as physical or intimidating as we would like..and Brock...we wont get into Brock right now...that will derail this completely. 

I worry more about him getting his bell rung going to the net. He's got the sand to go play hard, and at his size I worry the clock is ticking on a serious injury. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RomanP said:

I keep on cringing on the incorrect pronunciation of his last name by the commentators. It started with "MikhAyev" and then settled on "Makeyev" when in reality it's "MI(as in "ee")HEEV". The "i" is pronounced as "e" (same way as "i" in PodkolzIn). "KH" should sound as "H" in "hat". And finally "EYEV" - think of "ye" in "yellow" twice.

You know us North American's... gotta North-Americanize it . 

• Haha 1

Just now, Darius said:

Fair enough Mikey.  I think we both want the team to succeed and weve suffered our fair share lol.  Lets see what management can do in the coming months .  I do agree with you that there is no rush right now.  This team is probably 2-3 big moves away from really challenging for anything no matter what they do in the immediate future..

For sure. I also think that the moves we've made here are certainly aiming the team in a better direction too.

Mikheyev is a slightly risky pickup at that price and term but it definitely rounds the team out better. I also like the Lazar pickup for the bottom pairing and I hope he keeps that Boston mentality because he was a pain in the ass to play against when he was there. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Baggins said:

And yet Hogs was declared a core player his rookie season. The problem with Garland imo is we didn't draft him. People seem to overlook all that he adds that doesn't show up on the scoresheet.

I think a lot of the fanbase considered Höglander a core player because he was showing so well offensively in his first season. Well, 27 points isn’t too bad for a 2nd round pick. But he regressed last year offensively, but also defensively too. Bruce called him out several times, I hope he comes back this season roaring out of the gate and showing that he can be trusted by the head coach. 

Is he considered a core piece now? Probably not. More of a complimentary piece to the core (Bo, Petey, Hughes, Demko). Podkolzin remains to be seen if he becomes a core piece or a complimentary one. We’ll see. 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Not even close.  Garland is a third line guy who can’t play PP or PK.  If we can get a pick for him (and not take back any money) that’s a huge win. 

50 point 3rd liner is impressive. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

Seriously why do people want to get rid of Garland so bad?

Mikheyev is a downgrade from him for nearly the same cap.

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY????? 

Makes 5mil playing on no particular wing and he's tiny. The team can only spend so much money. Also doesn't kill penalties.

Mikheyev is faster, 8 inches taller, 30 lbs heavier, and scores more goals.

Seems relatively straightforward. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Definitely an agree to disagree thing for sure, but I don't think it's fair to just value his contract as a sole point getting player. I think at his cap hit he makes a fair value if he's one dimensional and points is all he is useful for.

I just personally place a huge value on things like forechecking ability, effort, consistency, 5 on 5 play, ability to maintain puck possession, tenacity, etc. and many of the other things he does well that majority of this team doesn't do well. It's the reason why I'm excited about Mikheyev, because he's more than just a point getter. I understand why you countered with your point with Hyman and you're not wrong, but the reason I brought it up is because it left a huge hole in that team and was the thing that would have finally allowed them to get past the first round had they kept him. 

I agree. A step further is goal scoring versus playmakers. So many judge on goals and ignore assists. Good playmakers make goal scorers better. Garland led all forwards in 1st assists per 60 minutes ES last season with 1.11 wqhile 2nd was at 0.68. people made a big deal about his goal scoring drought but ignored his 10 asists. I don't care if you are scoring them or setting them up. You are contributing.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I feel like this Signing will be at the expense of Garland which on the one hand really sucks because Garland is a firecracker. At the same time Mikheyev only cost money where Garland might be able to get you a Defenseman, and that would would be good asset mgmt.  

It doesn't suck at all. Mikheyev is a waaaay better fit. Faster , way better defensively,  much bigger , and a very good teammate off the ice. Mikheyev is also as fast, if not faster . He's 4 inches taller , 27 pounds heavier ,  and plays on the PK. 

Garland was a poor man's Mikheyev 

Edited by cuporbust

2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I think most of us like the player. The problem is that we have no more cap space, our right side is an absolute train wreck, and Garland just so happens to be one of our best trade chips.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

A downgrade how? 4 inches taller , 27 pounds heavier,  hits like a truck , offensive,  and plays on the PK. Not to mention , he is also a character guy.  Are you serious?

Edited by cuporbust
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

It doesn't suck at all. Mikheyev is a waaaay better fit. Faster , way better defensively,  much bigger , and a very good teammate off the ice. Mikheyev is also as fast, if not faster . He's 4 inches taller , 27 pounds heavier ,  and plays on the PK. 

Garland was a poor man's Mikheyev 

Ya ya we will see. I hope you're right. 

6 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Ya ya we will see. I hope you're right. 

19 goals in 77 games for Garland,  21 goals in 53 games for Mikheyev last year, and Garland not even in the same stratosphere defensively. Garland isn't even as good offensively here. There is literally nothing Garland does to make himself a better player than Mikheyev.  

There isn't one single category Mikheyev isn't an upgrade in (over Garland). 

Edited by cuporbust
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

If our PK was at least decent last year we were a playoff team. I don’t think we would have gotten very far but in.

He, sounds exactly like what our forward group needs. Size, speed to kill and 20ish goals and good PKer. 
Does feel like Hoglander or Garland or both may not be long for the team. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Muttley said:

I think the contract is maybe just a tad higher at 4 years, $4.75 per, but possibly he'll shine in his role hear. Like the speed for sure and the tenacity Mikheyev 

will bring to a team that at times, lack it a wee bit. Watching highlights seems to indicate he tries his butt off always and is definitely tenacious on the puck carrier.

I think he'll be a popular player in Canucksville. 

Could be a lot of fun with Podz.  Put EP between them and see what happens. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Garland shoots right and grows a better beard.  Oh, and fits better into cupboards.  And looks better on the Christmas tree. 

Haha. Yep. What's most impressive is the upgrade in possession numbers over Garland as well. Mikheyev is a play driver. When he's on the ice , the puck is going in the right direction way more often . 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1