The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Ilya Mikheyev

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

LACES OUT DAN!!!!!

If we do land Marino I can’t wait to be yelling “laces out” whenever he makes a mistake.  

That and referring to him as the best pure passer in history whenever he gets an assist.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Got to love his continue mention of hard work! I do think the comparison to Burrows in term of work effort is spot on. I think he has better skill and of course speed. From the interview and the on ice performance the Canucks have a good skilled hard working player, to help boost the team in time of need. 

9 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Podz has been doing good.

Its often actually an advantage, when learning language, that you are the only one using your native tongue... forces you to constantly use the language.

In saying that, having a team mate, who has the same back ground and speak the same language as you do, can add a lot socially, and make the player feel a lot more comfortable and at home...

I remember reading Naslund put an “English only” rule into the locker room when he was captain.

Would probably upset some people nowadays but good idea for building up the room.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I remember reading Naslund put an “English only” rule into the locker room when he was captain.

Would probably upset some people nowadays but good idea for building up the room.

Definitely the right decision still, but it comes across a little differently from a Swedish captain instead of a Canadian.  I'd suggest someone like OEL would be better to lead this instead of a native English speaker.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

This feels a little similar to when the Canucks were looking for compensation for Nedved. Canuck fans were hoping for a big return. the rumour was Canucks wanted Shanahan. The Blues wanted to give up Craig Janney. The end result was Jeff Brown, Bret Hedican, and Nathan Lafayette. 

Ppl were up in arms about the return yet in hindsight, we all remember the Brown to Bure pass in Rd 1 Game 7. We remember Lafayette hitting the post in finals game 7. Hedican went on to have an excellent career. 

I would be ok if Miller gave us multiple assets that filled multiple holes. With our future cap structure (Boeser, Petey, Hughes OEL and prob Horvat) do. We have cap space for another superstar? I'm sure there is a way to clear the cap space but yeah I'm interested to see what the return is and our reaction to it

Canucks could use Brown's hard accurate shot (righty) from the blue line on the current roster. Hedican's speed would fit too. Lafayette was hard working forechecker with good enough skill. A return like that would be awesome. 

4 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

Canucks could use Brown's hard accurate shot (righty) from the blue line on the current roster. Hedican's speed would fit too. Lafayette was hard working forechecker with good enough skill. A return like that would be awesome. 

Last thing we need is a player cheating on other player's wife/girlfriend.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

Although the trade for Nedved was for Graig Janney and a 2nd. Janney got Van the above. 

Edited by vancan2233

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

That went to arbitration didn't it?

Quinn asked for Shanahan; Blues Janney.

Arb decided in favour of the Blues.

Quinn complained that Shanahan was a battleship and in comparison, Brown was a canoe !!%($(

Not a good look when welcoming a new player to the team.

LOL. I remember that comparison and was about to include that in my post. I thought it was the Province that said that not Quinn? 

4 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I disagree, I think Garland and Kuz are much better fits in a top 6 role and have better offensive skills + are younger. I think its fair to say Ilya is ahead of Podz, but that could change quite quickly if Podz takes the next step this season. 

The best course or action would be to trade Garland and Miller hopefully getting a top 4 RD and 3C back + futures.

Ideally, I wonder if Miller (extended) + for Weegar, Bennet, 3rd or 4th rounder would be something doable. Fills our top pairing right side, 3c and we get an additional pick. I would not be trading Garland now or in the future. 

Sign Evan Rodrigues

Trade Pearson, Dickinson for whatever closer to training camp.

Not sure if this works cap wise, just an idea. 

Garland Petey Boeser 

Kuzmenko Horvat Mikhayev 

Hoglander Bennet Podkolzin

Rodrigues Lazar Lockwood

Hughes Weegar 

OEL Myers 

Rathbone Schenn

Demko 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

LOL. I remember that comparison and was about to include that in my post. I thought it was the Province that said that not Quinn? 

Well, it could have been.

From where I was at the time (British Properties), and the way sports communications were back then (day old news on paper), I probably read it in The Province.

But my old brain says it was The Big Irishman that said it (and he did not take it back).

Brown was good for us and the others as you mentioned.

But Pat wanted the battleship.

2 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

That went to arbitration didn't it?

Quinn asked for Shanahan; Blues Janney.

Arb decided in favour of the Blues.

Quinn complained that Shanahan was a battleship and in comparison, Brown was a canoe !!%($(

Not a good look when welcoming a new player to the team.

I remember that. Canucks said that during arbitration hearing. I remember the comparison of battleship vs ?? But I don't think it was a canoe.. it was some other sort of a floating vessel but not a canoe.... not 100% but .... don't think he called Janey a canoe..

20 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

Ideally, I wonder if Miller (extended) + for Weegar, Bennet, 3rd or 4th rounder would be something doable. Fills our top pairing right side, 3c and we get an additional pick. I would not be trading Garland now or in the future. 

Sign Evan Rodrigues

Trade Pearson, Dickinson for whatever closer to training camp.

Not sure if this works cap wise, just an idea. 

Garland Petey Boeser 

Kuzmenko Horvat Mikhayev 

Hoglander Bennet Podkolzin

Rodrigues Lazar Lockwood

Hughes Weegar 

OEL Myers 

Rathbone Schenn

Demko 

Bennett is on a team friendly deal for three more seasons they may not want to move him seeing what he brings. I would do Bennett and Weegar (extended) for Miller 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Bennett is on a team friendly deal for three more seasons they may not want to move him seeing what he brings. I would do Bennett and Weegar (extended) for Miller 

That would be an excellent deal for us.  But I think Florida would insist we take Reinhart, who we don’t want. 

5 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I remember that. Canucks said that during arbitration hearing. I remember the comparison of battleship vs ?? But I don't think it was a canoe.. it was some other sort of a floating vessel but not a canoe.... not 100% but .... don't think he called Janey a canoe..

Oh, it was a canoe baby; a canoe:

Surprise Jihad Canoe GIF | Gfycat

VS:How big was a first rate ship of the line? - Quora

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I didn't want any "expensive" ufas this year. But it's little things like this that we don't know till after the dust settles. Hope he's able to stay healthy, Pretty excited for this Russian trio we got now. Extra excited for podz and his development 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1