The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Calgary files Arbitration with Tkachuk

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

They bought themselves a couple of weeks to negotiate and try and find a partner. Essentially, they froze the clock until the arbitration hearing. He'll come out of that with 1 or 2 year contract that will essentially give him full control of his destination next summer or the one after.

From a Chess standpoint, their Queen is in check and if they move it they lose the King... lol

If they fumble Tchuk they've played into a fools mate.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Doesn't matter what they offer him if his intention is to leave. He now has the leverage based on the arbitration filing. The Flames bought time, but they haven't fixed the problem.

If they don't trade him and run the risk of having him awarded a 1 year, 10 million contract, they lose some of their leverage on trading him as he will be locked into UFA next summer.

IF they can trade him before that hearing, they have the option to trade him somewhere that he will negotiate a full 8 year extension with while he's still a RFA. The way this is playing out right now, he should almost be considered a UFA as he has all the control if he wants it.

Yup, but they will do everything in their power to extend him before trading him. They won't allow him to leave for nothing, the fanbase would revolt. They can't risk that after having just watched Gaudreau leave, something a lot of folks thought wouldn't happen. Likely including Flames brass. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

We should thank Benning for having the foresight to keep us from suffering with what’s going on with Matt Tkatchuk. 

spacer.png

"So we take Tchuk or Sergechev.. what do you think? "

"We'll take the lying on the ice because, upside. "

1 hour ago, AlphaNuck said:

I would give up a lot for Tkchuck 

I still have nightmares of benning going up on stage 

the Vancouver Canucks select olli Juolevi…… wait what! We put a big giant bow on Tkchuck and Calgary took him 

I remember oh so clearly

”Vancouver Selects from the London Knights”

Yessss!!!

”Olli Juolevi”

Noooo!!

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yup, but they will do everything in their power to extend him before trading him. They won't allow him to leave for nothing, the fanbase would revolt. They can't risk that after having just watched Gaudreau leave, something a lot of folks thought wouldn't happen. Likely including Flames brass. 

I fully expect this to be either extend and trade, or receiving team will already have an agreed upon extension that will be signed as soon as the trade paperwork is filed with the NHL.

2 hours ago, AlphaNuck said:

I would give up a lot for Tkchuck 

I still have nightmares of benning going up on stage 

the Vancouver Canucks select olli Juolevi…… wait what! We put a big giant bow on Tkchuck and Calgary took him 

Remember though, Calgary had Juolevi and Tkachuk ranked equally, Burke has stated publicly that they would be extremely happy taking whoever Vancouver didn't take.

We have no idea how the Juolevi pick would have played out if he hadn't followed up the draft with multiple, major surgeries.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

They bought themselves a couple of weeks to negotiate and try and find a partner. Essentially, they froze the clock until the arbitration hearing. He'll come out of that with 1 or 2 year contract that will essentially give him full control of his destination next summer or the one after.

From a Chess standpoint, their Queen is in check and if they move it they lose the King... lol

It will just be a one year contract based on his UFA status next year anyways and he would get to choose the term anyways since they elected arbitration.

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

It will just be a one year contract based on his UFA status next year anyways and he would get to choose the term anyways since they elected arbitration.

If he decided that he really wants to hurt the team after he leaves, that is definitely an option for him.

Calgary is hoping that they can salvage the situation.

8 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

If he decided that he really wants to hurt the team after he leaves, that is definitely an option for him.

Calgary is hoping that they can salvage the situation.

maybe Trevling will regret not having the picks from an offer sheet. As it stands now, Tkatpuke gets to decide who he signs with, or walks for nothing. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I wonder if Matt would extend long term in Ottawa?  Love to watch those two against the LOSER LEAFS 

If anything, I think he wants to go to St Louis.

There were rumours of him wanting to play for his dad's old team and where he grew up. 

I thought Gaudreau would stay and Tkachuk would leave. 

Gaudreau leaving just pushes Tkachuk to want to leave even more I believe.